Strategically play or tactical play?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Do you play Tactically or Strategically?

Strategic.
44%
Tactically.
56%

Total votes: 18

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:14 am

Post by Firebringer »

stop being in my ear canal.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:08 am

Post by Postie »

Strategic - how I want to play
Tactical - how I actually end up playing
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:04 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 21, LicketyQuickety wrote:how do you learn how to adopt a big picture view of the game?
I'm sorry, I have no answer.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:43 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

Probably lean more to strategic given I find myself overplanning/preparing for situations that sometimes never happen and even go into games with a rough idea of who I should probably focus pressure/priority-sort as town.
That said flexibility and re-evaluation on new circumstances is great too and screwing that up because you're looking too far in the distance isn't worth it either... I feel like the question makes it too either-or rather than a continuum.
deranged and incoherent
?
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:51 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

Was there an equivalent to this strategical and/or tactical in that champions of domains thread? That one was pretty cool.
deranged and incoherent
?
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Post by LicketyQuickety »

In post 29, Raskolnikov wrote:Was there an equivalent to this strategical vs tactical in that champions of domains thread? That one was pretty cool.
IDK what that is. I am just rehashing something from my second game I played where I asked this as a RQS thing.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:26 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 29, Raskolnikov wrote:Was there an equivalent to this strategical and/or tactical in that champions of domains thread? That one was pretty cool.
Actually, you could make an argument for each one of them being the difference between this:
Mercy represents the bigger picture, in that it looks for the motivation
behind
a post rather than the literal post; Justice represents the tactics because it is taking things on a post-by-post basis of "scummy post means scum player".
You could make an argument for verbosity being the bigger picture or the tactical one, and same for succinctness, but you can make a comparison there all the same.
Patience is about taking your time and thinking things through, for the bigger picture; Fervor represents the tactics of posting hard and aggressively in the moment.
Rigor represents bigger picture thinking fairly well. Whimsy's more lack of thinking than anything else, but represents tactical thinking better than strategical.
Synchretism is by definition bigger picture, whereas Solism is by definition a more tactical image.

These comparisons aren't perfect, but you can get the idea.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:44 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

I think there are 2 different issues here. There's keeping methods consistent and changing goals vs. the other way around, by which definition I consider tactical play way too easy to adapt to. Continuing to use the same method to scumhunt or play scum is usually not going to be very effective. On the other hand, there's the short term vs. long term definition, where it's very difficult to play strategically as town. However, it can definitely be useful to look at the bigger picture as town whenever possible, and as scum there are definitely conflicts/decisions to make between looking at the short term or playing for the long term.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:23 pm

In post 32, Infinity 324 wrote:I think there are 2 different issues here. There's keeping methods consistent and changing goals vs. the other way around, by which definition I consider tactical play way too easy to adapt to. Continuing to use the same method to scumhunt or play scum is usually not going to be very effective. On the other hand, there's the short term vs. long term definition, where it's very difficult to play strategically as town. However, it can definitely be useful to look at the bigger picture as town whenever possible, and as scum there are definitely conflicts/decisions to make between looking at the short term or playing for the long term.
I think in some ways playing tactically can work with great efficiency and can lead to good results almost all the time. For example: Scum hunting: Is a player doing it? That is a method for reading people that never changes but is very effective.

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:17 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Determining whether someone is scumhunting is very complex and requires different methods depending on the player and situation. Actually trying to determine whether someone is scumhunting is a perfect example of strategic play imo.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:18 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

The goal being determining whether they're scumhunting, while the methods being situation-dependent.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:24 am

In post 34, Infinity 324 wrote:Determining whether someone is scumhunting is very complex and requires different methods depending on the player and situation. Actually trying to determine whether someone is scumhunting is a perfect example of strategic play imo.
its not always clear if they ARE Scum hunting, but it usually is clear when they are not.

Spoiler: I am the member and CEO

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:45 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

If it was, wouldn't it be easy to find scum? At least, wouldn't scum being lynched d1 a little more often?
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:46 am

In post 37, Infinity 324 wrote:If it was, wouldn't it be easy to find scum? At least, wouldn't scum being lynched d1 a little more often?
The jury has spoken.

sorry, I'm too bored for my own good right now

Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:46 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I think another good point is determining if a player cares about their own scumhunting. They can scumhunt but sometimes they may slip, which would align more with mafia faking it over town who is being genuine. Since, doing work as mafia is boring. I only do work as mafia to seem town. I have been caught being lazy.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:31 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

Or, you could say that town makes scummy and towny posts since they don't filter as scum, while scum may have a hard time making towny posts but check to make sure they're not doing anything super scummy.

It's all very situation dependent.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:37 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I think that does factor in to what I'm saying, yes. For example, that *was* a reason for why I didn't do something that seemed like a townie thing to do. Reason was, because I was afraid it'd seem suspicious. Yet, not doing the action was what seemed unnatural to another player! I was like "Fuck, you're right". In my effort to seem pro-town, I have missed a vital component to actually doing what town truly cares about. [The action was not placing a vote on another player to make sure my town read wasn't lynched via plurality, and the other player called me out on not caring about that, or questioning me on that but didn't follow up luckily) That was more my motivation for doing or not doing something, yet it still carries off as being fake or not genuine. (Meaning, what you say is correct, it is something I didn't mention being my motivation as scum, when I was talking about how I seemed on the outside, fake)

Another time I was caught on being fake was when a player who I town read asked "Why aren't you interacting with me or asking me questions?" and I was thrown off-guard. I didn't ask because I didn't care to ask, since I was mafia. In this case, i was simply being lazy and not acting at all, in comparison to the earlier example, where I was acting but to push my win condition of seeming town to survive. in this one I was just lurking because I have posted enough and didn't need to say anything else. Again, I still seemed fake, yet this time I had a different motivation. Yet it was the same, I didn't care.

In both scenarios, i was pretending, and didn't actually care about what the town cared about. I do agree it can be situational.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

I'm not sure I understand your first example, but I think we agree that there are different ways to find people who aren't scumhunting
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Return to “Mafia Discussion”