Let's talk about how meatspace affects your playstyle

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Let's talk about how meatspace affects your playstyle

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:04 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

I've noticed that since having a significant career change in my life that I am playing mafia completely different. Less than a year ago I was working retail and normally only posted when I was slacking at work. Mafia was usually a way for me to yell at people with no consequence for disrespecting others (pretty ironic huh?).

Now I work for an engineering firm where most of my work involves solving problems on massive multimillion dollar computer systems with a development history of about 40+ years to them. Hundreds of servers and millions of lines of code. You simply can't know how every part of every piece of hardware works, so you usually end up learning a very small part of the system you are going to work on to solve your next problem. For the most part, the rest of the system gets ignored.

Now when I play mafia, each player is a piece of the system that needs to be figured out. I take on the mentality that I can't try to process every thought behind every post and hold it in aggregate. In some cases, I can see two pieces of the system being related to each other (associatives), but that's as much of the system I will allow myself to try and think about at one time. My new "mafia paradigm" has made me more confident in most of the arguments I make towards individual players, but I now tend to tunnel extremely hard, and would never be able to explain the "big picture" behind a game I am in.

How does your life make you play mafia?
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:43 pm

Post by kuribo »

When I'm in a pissy mood or tired I tend to lay waste to playerlists in apocalyptic fits of endless fury, saying some of the meanest stuff

When I'm depressed, I tend not give a shit about mafia

When I'm happy in life I don't play at all
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Secret Agent Jin
Secret Agent Jin
Goon
Secret Agent Jin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:02 pm

Post by Secret Agent Jin »

I have been playing Mafia for 4 years now and from 4 years ago up to about 9 months ago my playstyle in Mafia was well thought out and aggressive. I would play out in the open, all attention on myself no matter my alignment and i would usually nail the scummier players to the wall and bully them until they role claimed. During that time i was working a very well paid job, had a fiancee, a child, i was very happy in my life and it showed in my playstyle. Well, about 9 months ago things happened in my life that caused it to quite literally fall apart (no details) and i seen a wide swing in my playstyle. I became a lurking presence in my games, striking when i felt i had something to say but mostly just hanging back and posting small posts with little information. I think your lifestyle and current state of mind transfers quite a bit into your playstyle.
TTTT
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
TTTT
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Post by TTTT »

I used to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company until I started playing online Mafia and lost it all after I intentionally developed multiple personality disorder so that I can't be meta-read.
All my meat world friends and family abandoned me, but I don't need them.
I can make my own people now.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:59 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

I was decent at mafia before I grew a crippling addiction to meatspace and various other adult websites it's a rather tragic illness actually

tbh I get more mafia influencing stuff outside of it (namely how I see communication) than anything from outside influencing mafia playstyle like what you say in OP. Beyond activity anyways.
deranged and incoherent
?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:11 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I was very good at mafia when I had nothing but free time
green shirt thursdays
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:27 pm

Post by Vi »

meat is trash and people who rely on meat inflict their biases on everyone else
I was very good at mafia when I had nothing but free time
Also this. I mean, everything is better when you have time to devote to it, but you can't really play a social game part-time unless your playstyle involves... not actively playing.

Also Raskolnikov is correct. When Mafia games go south they take my entire life with them.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Post by Accountant »

I play worse when I leak emotions into the game.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:30 pm

Post by mastina »

Pfft, you people and your change.

Just develop a universally-loathed style of play, with a universally-loathed standard of play, with universally-loathed chances of winning by using said play.

That way you'll always be the same player no matter how many games you play!
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:37 pm

Post by Accountant »

Since when do people loath percentages?
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Try being married and having kids and playing mafia. Now that's a challenge.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Titus
Titus
She/her/hers
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her/hers
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her/hers

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:01 pm

Post by Titus »

I find my mood greatly influences my play.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:03 am

Post by ironstove »

First time hearing the term meatspace and I love it.

Let's be honest here, mafia takes a huge amount of time to be good at the game so it would be impossible to be spending a ton of time in the meatspace yet still be capable of performing well in mafia world.
Skybird
Skybird
Mafia Scum
Skybird
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:18 am

Post by Skybird »

Meatspace definitely does affect my playing. I used to have a job where I had time to post from work. I don't have that luxury now so time is limited to when I'm home. I'm married and have activities I like to do and this all competes for the same free time that mafia now has to compete for as well. I enjoy playing so I will keep finding time somewhere.
GTKA Skybird!

AFK between 7am and 7pm central time due to work

Return to “Mafia Discussion”