Replacing from Former Town?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Replacing from Former Town?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:40 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

So my first real introduction to internet Mafia was from a... defunct board? (Not sure if it is, but won't mention the name to err on the side of caution.) There, they played Mafia games differently and wanted to know thoughts from people.

There, if a town was lynched/killed and another person had to be replaced, it was perfectly acceptable for that town member to replace in, since they didn't know who scum was. Out of curiosity, why is this different here?
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:59 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I'm pretty sure a lot of scumteams that killed me night one would be salty if I replaced into another slot and started lynching them again.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:01 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

The player base is big enough here to avoid having to replace with the dead.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:02 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

It also brings up a question if this is an unwritten rule of sorts, or simply discouraged.

Preview Edit - Cheery: True, although it can sometimes be a big pain in the butt to replace into some games.
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:14 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 2, Cheery Dog wrote:The player base is big enough here to avoid having to replace with the dead.
This.
On my homesite we have had issues with finding replacements and had to have people replace into empty slots and they cause issues (because our big games are anon games nobody knows the identity of players 100%)

So for instance in one game we had one person get lynched 2 times in the same game.
They kept replacing into empty slots and players thinking the player was scummy.
They were town in both of these slots.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Post by Vi »

Historically it has been done out of necessity, but the practice has since died out AFAIK.

(also, the excellence of dying as Town and replacing into a scum slot, etc.)
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:51 pm

Post by mastina »

There's also the thing we call "dead topics".
Back when players replaced back into the game, those were not used.
They started seeing use in around 2009.
And soon were in every game, to the point where any player found dead in a game without one would be confused and pester the mods about it.
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Post by borkjerfkin »

I've specifically denied people asking to do this and can't think of a situation where I would allow it.

If they replace into a scum slot (and you have to allow this otherwise you confirm the replace-in slot unless i'm understanding this wrong) they kind of get an out-of-game hedge (they get to "win" as either faction at the end of everything) that could cause them to not fully play toward slot #2's wincon or at least become apathetic in a losing situation that I feel is detrimental to the experience overall.
beefycheese
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:44 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Investigative roles.
My answer to "can town sub in after death?" is a solid "fuck no".
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:24 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 0, KuroiXHF wrote:So my first real introduction to internet Mafia was from a... defunct board? (Not sure if it is, but won't mention the name to err on the side of caution.) There, they played Mafia games differently and wanted to know thoughts from people.

There, if a town was lynched/killed and another person had to be replaced, it was perfectly acceptable for that town member to replace in, since they didn't know who scum was. Out of curiosity, why is this different here?
It was done a few times here and there years ago. This was before Dead QTs were a thing.

There's a game from my early days on my wiki, Darox was killed by scum and then replaced back in later... into a scum slot.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:19 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I don't think there's anything
broken
about a VT (who hasn't seen the dead thread) replacing back in – they have no more information than a random player who hadn't been involved with the game would – but it's a bad idea, because a) they have a conflict of interest if they end up replacing into a scum slot, b) it rather cheapens the ability to nightkill/lynch players to get rid of their opinions. (Also, it has indeed happened a few times in the past.) If a role could have any additional information beyond VT (e.g. who they targeted in the past), they clearly mustn't be allowed to replace back in.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Zorblag
Zorblag
Troll
Zorblag
Troll
Troll

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Post by Zorblag »

Replacing into games one has been killed in has happened here in the past. This Game was one where the same player self hammered twice (first as SK, then as town,) to give scum a victory.

-Zorblag R`Lyeh
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:14 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Unless something very weird is going on with the win conditions, selfhammering as SK is just outright gamethrowing. I definitely wouldn't let someone replace back in if they'd done something worthy of being banned!
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”