What's your favorite game?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

What's your favorite game?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Post by Aeronaut »

Just curious, what was your most enjoyable game? Was trying to pin mine out of my top 5-6 and was wondering what other people liked about their favorite games.
2023 W/L | 1-0
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:08 pm

Post by implosion »

A couple come to mind. There was #SWAGTOWN which was just a really nice towngame where I played well and worked well with the rest of the town and the player list was so nice and pleasant. Lots of individual moments from that game also stick in my memory. Other one that comes to mind is the 9p mini normal where i replaced in on d1 to find my scumbuddy doomed and managed to pull off a 1-shot daycop fakeclaim and ride it to lylo and win lylo by lynching probably the single person whose skills at mafia i most respect.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:08 am

Post by Vi »

Mafia Behind the Maiden, even after how badly min.us failed me on the images several years later. I still can't stop cackling about that one.

Reuploading and posting the endgame image because I can. The game ended because all of the Town players in the third row were removed from the game before all the scum players in the second row.
Spoiler:

Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:50 am

Post by Andrius »

Favorite game I wasn't in?
The Dark Goma Massacre. This and Last Man Standing basically established VPB as my Mafia Hero.

Favorite games I was in?
Xenoblade, Xenogears, Pathfinder.

Favorite game as Mod Team?
LOTR Mafia. It basically set the bar for me as far as design and moderation. Working with Plum for the better part of a year in design and running the game was an absolute joy. The playerlist was phenomenal.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:59 am

Post by SpyreX »

I like how many of these games i was involved in. Memories

As for a favorite that's hard. My inability to read leading to powerful wizard was amazing. Strangercougs madness game where i used ani to obliterate all the things was fun.

Probably modding star control though. I think for memory lane that's the pinnacle
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:37 pm

Post by Fishythefish »

My favourite games tend to have fun mechanics. I very much enjoyed zorasters games back in the day. Almost No Rules and Real Time spring to mind, though I'm sure I'm missing some. Also llamafluff's Last Will series.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Post by mastina »

Geez it's hard.
RPG Mafia was a blast. (The sequel, not so much.)
Good vs Evil, Chaos vs Law was also a great game, aside from the shitty Chaotic Good town (save Regfan, the credit to his kind) being shitty, despicable human beings.
Happy Tree Friends was an amazing game.
Mind Reader Mafia had an absolutely
brilliant
concept.
Anything Goes is seriously one of the best games of all time. Both teams were comprised of absolutely fantastic players.
Antihero Mafia Reboot was also an awesome game.
Xenogears was another instance of top-tier players on both teams playing strongly.
I loved Mobile Suit Gundamn, in spite of the scum dayvigging me D1 (because I had the best reads).
Left 4 Dead will forever be remembered by me as the game where I trolled the fuck out of the town as confscum.
Attack on Titan was one of THE best games ever played, with the closest, hardest-fought battle of all time. If not for displaced replacing in, the scum would've won the mylo...in spite of all three scum having been the top three wagons D1. (Which they turned around into a mislynch.) Strong play by both sides, really great game.
Paranoia is another of those games which had an AMAZING concept behind it, regarding the scum.
Duck Tales Mafia remains a classical favorite of mine.
Drawn on Arrival featured some of the BEST townplay and town cohesion ever and is another.
Inorganic Chemistry was another great game where both sides played well.
It's hard to forget Steven Universe, as that was a pretty amazing game.

Those as a player. As a mod, it's hard to decide.
From a mechanics point of view, probably Hilariously Unbalanced Mafia 2.
From a gameplay point of view, probably Maniacal Street Mafia.
From a flavor point of view, hard to beat Gistou.
Though any of those three games could fit for the other two just as easily, albeit in different ways.
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 6, mastina wrote:I loved Mobile Suit Gundamn, in spite of the scum dayvigging me D1 (because I had the best reads).
^^^ 12/10 game.

for those who want another POV on it, it was one of my first games on the site (I had to get mod exception for his experience requirement), I pulled SK and got caught for all the wrong reasons right out of the gate. then, I claim SK, submit myself to being leashed, and cue four entire game days of endless, chaotic hell where the entire town falls apart on itself arguing "WE NEED TO LYNCH THE CLAIMED SCUM" vs. "leaving pie alive is pro-town, she's doing what we want and she's the only reason we have any dead scum".

I almost fought my way to a position where I could get off the leash, but it wasn't meant to be. :cry: the entire game was worth it anyway just for D3 where we did the most satisfying policy lynch/kill combo ever.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

Aha memories …

I think my favorites will be a mix of dominant performances and fun games. Also all of these are from before my extended hiatus. Many fun games since my return but they are of too recent vintage for me to fully process.

As a Player –

Any Saint Kerrigan game. Especially the Choose Your Side games SK ran. One of my favorite all-time Mods on site.

Eddard Stark’s (Faraday / Seacore) Clash of King’s Mafia – As with Saint Kerrigan all the Game of Thrones Themed games by Faracore were fantastic and I miss them as Mods. But this one is probably my all-time number 1 favorite game. It was a hard-fought battle with Town and the other scum faction that lead to MacavityLock and I choosing to “Split the Kingdom” between the Lannisters and the Greyjoys.

Danakillsu’s Blackest Night Mafia – I think I’m probably the only player who would ever list this game as a favorite due to “Surprise Cult” Bastardness (and I think Andrius still has nightmares about this game) but the flavor was well done and I think I did a hell of a job in getting the win for the Black Lantern Corp.

Jahudo’s American Gods Mafia – One of my favorites because I got to quickhammer Town not once but twice and had a lovely extended trolling period as known scum.

q21’s Personal Agenda Mafia – Won the game as a Game-Ending Jester. Sadly it took me three days to get lynched. But a fun experience actually looking for the noose.

Really there are tons of others I could add also but I want to keep this (somewhat) readable. There was Town game I can’t find which I think was my overall best performance (it was a Double Day game where players drafted roles and my pre-game planning combined with leading lynches on two scum Day 1 and 1.5). Also several Tiger Eaten games (Vi’s Children of Hurin in particular comes to forefront of my mind) would be here but would be useless to try to read to get a sense of the greatness of the game.

As a Mod –

Dresden Files – Early Days Mafia – Probably my favorite set-up I’ve ever run. Unfortunately much of the Bastardness and neat twists were lost in the curb-stomp that Town performed on both scum factions.

Dr. Who – The Complete Tenth Doctor – Probably the smoothest game I’ve ever run. Also my favorite theme I’ve run as a Mod.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:07 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

Cyberpunk mafia

I Want my wintermute back! :(
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:32 am

Post by mykonian »

It's probably pretty selfish, and we can talk about the beauty of the VT or Goon all day long, but the best games ended up being those where I got a PR that opened up a different playstyle and allowed you to play to an opponent. For town Mad Libbed Mafia sticks with me, on scums side Harry Potter and the Philosophers Legacy was a blast to play. Winning is enjoyable? Who'd guess...
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:04 am

Post by Kison »

These three usually come to mind:

1) - Replaced into a dire situation and spent hours conjuring up a fake claim. Ultimately lost because one player (DGB) was fake dead, placing a vote through the mod, and had control over a portion of text in mod posts that tricked me into trying to kill a doc protected player. Shaft.ed had multiple, hilarious post restrictions that ultimately killed him.

2) - I apathetically lurked through this game till we were on the verge of losing. :good: Was always happy with how we collectively turned this one around. We were able to use a claimed Mafia to help identify the other team since they could not cross kill.

3) - Stoofer game, solid players, DGB shit stirring, gambits, revenge on shaft.ed after iPick. What more does one need in life?
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Post by camn »

I have three classics that I think about sometimes.
All towngames, all townwins. Maybe thats why I liked them.

1) A very early game of mine- my 4th? I replaced in because I loved the flavor.
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=9567
The town blocked every single scumkill that game- 5 nights worth.
Notably, ^^^Kison was prominent in that game!

2) Another early game- the first that I was specifically invited into... and they playerlist was CRAZY-intimidating to me. The setup was bonkers-awesome, and I got to watch some legends get crazy.
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=10541
Not a great game
by
ME, but great to be a part of, I think.
Probably worth reading just to see Tarlahindur break a novel setup open.

3) This one was just super fun.
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14189
I was a mason, and we planned some elaborate cross-confirming breadcrumbs. The town lynched scum day 1, the scumteam pretty much flailed, and we all danced on their graves laughing. It was fun, but not historical.
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:50 am

Post by Kison »

In post 12, camn wrote:1) A very early game of mine- my 4th? I replaced in because I loved the flavor.
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=9567
The town blocked every single scumkill that game- 5 nights worth.
Notably, ^^^Kison was prominent in that game!
Ahh, I think about that one from time to time. That was a good one, even though there was no possible way to win. :cool:
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Post by Cabd »

In post 3, Andrius wrote:Xenoblade, Xenogears,
+5 billion
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 14, Cabd wrote:
+5 billion
you're going to post in this thread and NOT mention the puppies from multiple timelines' hell repeatedly encroaching on an otherwise civilized Mafia game

and also your game-winning gambit that had people in the dead(-ish) thread screaming but let's be honest unquiet ghost puppies
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Post by Cabd »

I can only stoke my ego so much; Vi. I do admit I fondly miss ghost puppies.
Show
Have retired for good; Life is too busy to have time or energy for mafia. It was fun~

And then, a Miracle, a Dance Game and a flight of fancy struck, one more game into the abyss
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Post by borkjerfkin »

In post 14, Cabd wrote:
+5 billion
u gaiz <3
beefycheese
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Post by borkjerfkin »

"Tales of You" said no one ever
beefycheese
Cabd
Cabd
QT Sniper
Cabd
QT Sniper
QT Sniper

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Post by Cabd »

:~(
Show

mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 18, borkjerfkin wrote:"Tales of You" said no one ever
Oh, I'd say there were about nine or ten players who
could
say that was their favorite game...... :igmeou:
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:22 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 6, mastina wrote:Attack on Titan was one of THE best games ever played, with the closest, hardest-fought battle of all time.
that game where two players abused a newish mod by asking her if they could hydra mid game, for strategic reasons. You were one of those hydra, and you damn well knew what was going on.

I'm not blaming Pitoli, she clearly wasn't going to be a person who stepped up, but experienced people like you and nati should have known better than bringing outside influences (like a new player added to the slot halfway the game) into an otherwise perfectly fine game. You should have known better than test if a mod would let you bend the rules just enough in your favour. This, of all games, is not one you can be proud of.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:58 pm

Post by kuribo »

My favorite scum game is Graveyard Shift: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=24548 Probably my greatest scum game aside from Catch-22 Mafia. Which isn't a favorite of mine because it contains the Scum QT Of Misery and Self Loathing.

My favorite town game is either Weather Mafia II: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=21215
Or President of the United States Mafia: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34790

Weather Mafia II was probably my best-played town game.

POTUS Mafia was just straight up fun and I'll always remember it as the time I claimed like 50 roles on Day 1:
Bob, I'm pretty obviously scum who's intentionally playing scummy so that people will town read me for it while I push your mislynch and chain it to grey gnarl

Everyone knows this but since I've openly asked them to lynch me, they think I have no fear of death
They know that no matter how many votes are applied to me, I wont bother claiming because I've already claimed thirty different roles (I am claiming reflexive roleblocker)

Scum won't NK me, firstly because I am one of them and secondly because they're too dumb to know whether I'm coasting on my role or just bored with being VT yet again or god forbid maybe the PGO claim was true (it's not, I'm a Hated Townie)

All this boils down to everyone town reading me because they don't know what else to do with me

Also I'm a Vengeful Townie
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 21, mykonian wrote:that game where two players abused a newish mod by asking her if they could hydra mid game, for strategic reasons.
That was more of a replacement given that shortly after I joined, F-16 my hydra partner left the game (I forget if it was forcefully or willfully, probably the former) basically immediately after I joined.

Also, I am firmly in the camp which believes there is nothing wrong with non-strategic need for hydras to come in mid-game. F-16 told me it wasn't strategic, so I believed him when he said it wasn't strategic. Now, you can be of the opinion that he lied and that it was in fact strategic. But I would have no way of knowing that in advance when at the time F-16 was a trusted friend of mine. He made a personal request, and I saw no malice in it.

Additionally, there are other reasons for a hydra to come in mid-game: namely, a (usually sudden) shift in schedule causing a temporary or permanent V/LA which would normally render a player unable to properly play (at least for a duration of time), yet still with the desire to. (This is one reason given for hydras: individual heads wouldn't be able to play alone, but can play as a hydra. The difference between this happening at the beginning of the game and the middle of the game is virtually nil.) This was also legal at the time and done in many other games, not just that one. You're applying a modern standard (that we don't do it anymore) to an older game where that modern standard wasn't in play.

Furthermore, even if you were to assume that it was strategic...so? That doesn't change my statement about the nature of the game. It was a strong game by both sides. The scum started off poorly, recovered, and played well (killing the right people at the right times and using the right actions at the right times), taking the game to mylo. The town played well the entire game. It was a fun game, it was a hard game, it was a well-done game, meaning I have every right to list it as a favorite game of mine because it was an epic battle the entire way, and a close loss on my end thanks to the excellent play of the replacement displaced managing to convince the rest of the town to lynch the scum that they had previously considered conftown. I played well, my team played well, and we still lost because the town played slightly better.
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Post by Fro99er »

In post 0, Aeronaut wrote:Just curious, what was your most enjoyable game? Was trying to pin mine out of my top 5-6 and was wondering what other people liked about their favorite games.
MAFIACEPTION because town worked as a cohesive unit where every person contributed...which basically never fucking happens.
"I officially announce Fro99er the king of guilties because this is the second time he has guiltied a slot I was really unsure about.
Heil King Froggo.
Ribbit ribbit." -Transcend

Return to “Mafia Discussion”