How to respond to presure when you're scum read

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:17 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 58, Realeo wrote:
In post 54, Infinity 324 wrote:In general scum tend to be slightly less active than town, just cause they are slightly less motivated in general
Only true in Newbies game.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:17 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

^ not really, I find it true in general in any game.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:32 am

Post by Realeo »

In Mislead 2, we're the most active poster and we're both scum.
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

I'm mabye a serious player, but I'm capable of joke. Ok?
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:36 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

That's an exception. Also if I was town there I'd be posting a lot more even than I was.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:38 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 69, Realeo wrote:Not PR or gambit related? Actually faking reads?
I've... not FAKED the read per se, but I've definitely been soft toward my scum reads calling them null so they won't NK me while I lynch their buddies.

I've absolutely called DGB null when I was scumreading her for that very reason, because when I scum-read her I wind up dead.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:40 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 79, kuribo wrote:
I've... not FAKED the read per se, but I've definitely been soft toward my scum reads calling them null so they won't NK me while I lynch their buddies.

I've absolutely called DGB null when I was scumreading her for that very reason, because when I scum-read her I wind up dead.
The trick is to only give a read on one scum at a time.

After all, you can only lynch one scum per day, and it's not like anyone reads dead peoples' reads.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:41 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Of course, doing that is only a good idea if you'd actually prefer not to be NKed. If you're vanilla or something like that, baiting an NK onto yourself can be a good move, due to protecting the town power roles.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:41 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 76, Infinity 324 wrote:^ not really, I find it true in general in any game.
It's really, really, really not true.

Yes, there is the Lurkmass Rule (the bottom 1/3 of posters almost always have at least one scum)

But the more experienced you are as scum, the more comfortable you get with that mask, and the more likely you are to post.

I'm always in the Top Three of posting activity, regardless of my alignment. Other players like Fate, DGB, AngryPidgeon, pirate mollie, etc would easily be able to say the same thing.

If activity = town to you, then you'll never break through to the top tier in terms of scumhunting.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:43 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 80, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 79, kuribo wrote:

The trick is to only give a read on one scum at a time.

After all, you can only lynch one scum per day, and it's not like anyone reads dead peoples' reads.
yeah but that requires subtlety and we all know that ain't me lol

I prefer to only go hard after one player anyway because associative tells are one of my strong skills and they're completely worthless until you flip a scum anyway. I hate, hate HATE people who draw associative tells between living players because it wastes time discussing cases that are meaningless if one of the players flips town.

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 82, kuribo wrote:If activity = town to you, then you'll never break through to the top tier in terms of scumhunting.
Of course not, and of course lurking is a shitty scumtell. But it's just false that town and scum have exactly the same activity levels on average.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:55 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 82, kuribo wrote:Yes, there is the Lurkmass Rule (the bottom 1/3 of posters almost always have at least one scum)
Actually I've found that in the top 5 posters recently there usually is a scum myself.

Since post volume is play-style driven and not alignment driven IMO I think any attempt to peg scum solely based on post numbers is going to be generally a failed avenue.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:56 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 85, MagnaofIllusion wrote:Since post volume is play-style driven and not alignment driven IMO I think any attempt to peg scum solely based on post numbers is going to be generally a failed avenue.
I agree with the second part, but I think alignment does have some impact on activity.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:57 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

I'm always in top 5 posters ... shrugs
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:05 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 85, MagnaofIllusion wrote:Actually I've found that in the top 5 posters recently there usually is a scum myself.
Shhhhh you'll force me to reveal the fact that the Lurkmass Rule is a broad generalization based on statistics because of course at least one scum is less active than the others

And yeah most scum teams also usually have a more vocal leader

MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:23 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

In post 86, Infinity 324 wrote:I agree with the second part, but I think alignment does have some impact on activity.
You can continue to think whatever you want.

Unless you want to show a broad statistical analysis of posts per game Day played by players showing a statistically signficant higher occurance rate of players posting more as Town than as scum. Then your thoughts might move into something that is actually meaningful.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Post by kuribo »

Here's an example from the last game I moderated:

LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 89, MagnaofIllusion wrote:
In post 86, Infinity 324 wrote:I agree with the second part, but I think alignment does have some impact on activity.
You can continue to think whatever you want.

Unless you want to show a broad statistical analysis of posts per game Day played by players showing a statistically signficant higher occurance rate of players posting more as Town than as scum. Then your thoughts might move into something that is actually meaningful.
This. Players will tend to post about what they normally do regardless of alignment with a few specific players as exceptions, I remember Nikanor from a long time ago would lurk post D1 as scum enough for it to be a tell, but for the most part if a player posts 3-5 times a day as town, they will post 3-5 times a day as scum. Unless you can prove there is correlation for the average (not newbie) player, I don't buy activity as being a tell at all.

Now in some
very specific
situations scum may be more prone to holding off posting because it suits them more to have another player say something first, but I don't for a second believe that "lurking" is a tell unless you can prove its done intentionally for an advantage.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Post by Realeo »

I sense mathemathical challenge
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

I'm mabye a serious player, but I'm capable of joke. Ok?
eagerSnake
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Post by eagerSnake »

If you don't like what is being said, change the conversation.
Vifam
Vifam
Jack of All Trades
Vifam
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:17 am

Post by Vifam »

Just be cool I guess

I mean just cuz someone thinks you're scum doesn't mean you're gonna get lynched right
ok
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 6, mastina wrote:This advice may sound like it's geared towards town, but really, this works regardless of alignment.

While the idea of refusing to defend yourself is all tempting and whatnot, realistically, when people see you refusing to address their attacks, at best they'll feel frustrated at you ignoring them. At worst, they'll assume that because you're not answering them, you can't, that you're deliberately avoiding the subject hoping it'll go away because it's incriminating.

Of course...if you put any effort into defending yourself, you can kiss your ass goodbye because you're getting lynched, guaranteed.

If you can't defend yourself, yet refusing to defend yourself gets you lynched, what can you do?

Simple:
you address the concerns people have, but you redirect their attention elsewhere.
You push their focus onto other players. You turn their reason for suspecting you around and try to focus it elsewhere. You don't want to ignore their suspicion. You don't want to defend from it. You want to make their suspicion no longer be something they want to direct your way. Get their attention where YOU want it. With you in the spotlight, it's the perfect time to highlight your scumreads, why you have them, and why the players scumreading you should listen to you and lynch your scumreads rather than you. (Yes, as scum, you should have scumreads.)

A task which is far easier, for instance, if you can point out that most/all of their reasons for suspecting you ALSO apply to your scumread. It won't work all the time; you'll still get lynched. The best way to avoid a scumread is to never be scumread. But this is the best general advice to take. Specific situations may differ (where some defense may be warranted), but in general, neither defending yourself nor refusing to defend yourself is the best approach to take. Work with the players accusing you, to try and reach a gamestate where they will push who you want pushed.

...Which you should have, by the way. If you don't have anyone who you want to see pushed, you pretty much deserve the lynch on you. :P

I didn't read the rest of the thread past this. The bolded is really the best advice you could get, and it summarizes the trend I was noticing with what people were saying. The act of "redirecting" their attention elsewhere comes from actively finding what else exists in the game to be suspicious about...in short, scumhunting, EVEN IF YOU'RE SCUM. All players, regardless of alignment, do suspicious, questionable things, and it's up to you to point all that out. Yes, the people who are tunneled on you won't care, BUT THAT'S NOT IMPORTANT. It takes a number of votes to get lynched, and by diluting the attention of the town, you reduce the immediate risk of a lynch on you, which buys you the time you need to let people focus on the next shiny thing that comes along.

Getting out ahead of the suspicions is also key. Be aware of how the game, as a whole, feels about as many slots as possible. Make sure that when things start trending against you, but you aren't yet the main focus, that you're making those moves to redirect and control the conversation. If you time it right, you won't have to deal with the suspicion that comes from seeming to survivalistically offer up other lynches for consideration...instead, you'll just be scum hunting, because people in large numbers won't be focusing on pushing you.
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:54 pm

Post by pieguyn »

I hate all this talk about "redirect the conversation elsewhere" "push a different target". to defend yourself, just be honest and try to reach an understanding with the other person as to why you did what you did as town. don't let it affect your scum hunting at all, and people will either realize that their concerns on you don't hold water, or they will hopefully see your play and the fact that you're not being disingenuous and give you the benefit of the doubt.

I have never had any issue with this, to the point where I was lynched for it; obviously there will always be idiots who just won't give a shit and will push you just because they want to push you, but I usually get widely town read in all of my games, so, /shrug.
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Post by Bins »

to answer the original post,

cry
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:09 pm

Post by TheRealGin-N-Tonic »

In post 97, Bins wrote:to answer the original post,

cry
by how much?
“To be is to do”—Socrates. “To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre. “Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
"Gin, you are so charismatic it's scary." -nancy
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 96, pieguyn wrote:I hate all this talk about "redirect the conversation elsewhere" "push a different target". to defend yourself,
While I don't believe your way of doing it is wrong, being open can be very good strategy in many circumstances, but I disagree people shouldn't try to redirect or push someone else.

These are all common things seen in real world application to debate and conversations. It's very common. It's up to other players how they go forward if a person continues redirecting or changing subject, etc.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown

Return to “Mafia Discussion”