How to respond to presure when you're scum read

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:19 pm

Post by Bins »

In post 98, TheRealGin-N-Tonic wrote:
In post 97, Bins wrote:to answer the original post,

cry
by how much?
so that no one understands your posts
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Post by TheRealGin-N-Tonic »

In post 100, Bins wrote:
In post 98, TheRealGin-N-Tonic wrote:
In post 97, Bins wrote:to answer the original post,

cry
by how much?
so that no one understands your posts
;~;

>_<
>_>
;(

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
“To be is to do”—Socrates. “To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre. “Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
"Gin, you are so charismatic it's scary." -nancy
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Post by Bins »

good start, you're a natural
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 99, Firebringer wrote:These are all common things seen in real world application to debate and conversations. It's very common. It's up to other players how they go forward if a person continues redirecting or changing subject, etc.
behaviors like that are no better than lying as town. deflecting, redirecting conversation onto another target etc. are all things that have very, very strong scum motivation explicitly *because* you don't actually have to address the meat of the reasoning provided against you; they are things that scum necessarily has to do at some point in order to survive (since there aren't exactly many other ways to respond when someone posts a read or case against you that is correct for the correct reasons, so you basically just have to try to bullshit your way out of it in some way or another and hope for the best) and that ideally as town you should never need to resort to, since, duh, if you're town and did something there must exist some narrative that legitimately explains why you did the thing that you did as town.

if people don't accept it, then that's a failure on their part to read you unless you've done something entirely incomprehensible and people really need to stop thinking that they need to do some misdirection of some kind to defend themselves or avoid being lynched because people won't accept their behavior for what it is - that kind of mindset just leads to unclear discussion and I never find that games running on that mindset are healthy games to play. not-so-coincidentally, I wouldn't play in most current games.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:47 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 103, pieguyn wrote:behaviors like that are no better than lying as town.
I think this is the moment we completely diverge.
I don't think lying as town is the worst thing imaginable depending on the intent behind the lie.
Sometimes lying is okay.
Sometimes lying is not okay.

I don't think it's black and white.

The reason scum trust claims by town players is because they believe a town wouldn't lie.
If that is continued then scum essentially get 100% info from the game because everything in it is truth except for their bs.
Lying as town can mislead scum and have them make mistakes.

And yes it can be a double edged sword.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:48 pm

Post by TheRealGin-N-Tonic »

In post 104, Firebringer wrote:Lying as town can mislead scum and have them make mistakes.
THIS IS TRUE

OH MY GOD IT'S TRUE

IT'S HILARIOUS ONE SECOND LET ME GET QUOTES
“To be is to do”—Socrates. “To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre. “Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
"Gin, you are so charismatic it's scary." -nancy
pieguyn
pieguyn
Survivor
pieguyn
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Post by pieguyn »

In post 104, Firebringer wrote:
In post 103, pieguyn wrote:behaviors like that are no better than lying as town.
I think this is the moment we completely diverge.
I don't think lying as town is the worst thing imaginable depending on the intent behind the lie.
Sometimes lying is okay.
Sometimes lying is not okay.

I don't think it's black and white.

The reason scum trust claims by town players is because they believe a town wouldn't lie.
If that is continued then scum essentially get 100% info from the game because everything in it is truth except for their bs.
Lying as town can mislead scum and have them make mistakes.

And yes it can be a double edged sword.
OK, replace "lying as town" with "lying as town about something stupid that gives no apparent benefit" (obviously there are some scenarios where it makes sense to not be completely honest as town but you know what I'm talking about - the stupid kind of lie that people do just for teh lulz).

I figured that was obvious based on the context.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:55 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Your going to have to give me a specific example and the context surrounding said example pie.
Like I said already lying sometimes is not okay.

And sometimes people will redirect or focus somewhere else just to see if the person focusing them drops it or continues it (like a reaction test)
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:22 pm

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 96, pieguyn wrote:I hate all this talk about "redirect the conversation elsewhere" "push a different target". to defend yourself, just be honest and try to reach an understanding with the other person as to why you did what you did as town. don't let it affect your scum hunting at all, and people will either realize that their concerns on you don't hold water, or they will hopefully see your play and the fact that you're not being disingenuous and give you the benefit of the doubt.

I have never had any issue with this, to the point where I was lynched for it; obviously there will always be idiots who just won't give a shit and will push you just because they want to push you, but I usually get widely town read in all of my games, so, /shrug.
That was included in mastins suggestion though? It was two part. First, deal with the concerns people have. Then find other shit for them to care about. *shrug* I mean, if you're playing mafia and attempting to scumhunt, or act like you're scumhunting, then the second part is what you're going to do anyways. You'll go and continue playing and find other scumspects and you'll tell the game about them. A key part is addressing the stuff that could bite you in the ass in advance though.
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 96, pieguyn wrote:"redirect the conversation elsewhere". to defend yourself, just be honest and try to reach an understanding with the other person as to why you did what you did as town.
The two as I see them are synonymous: redirecting attention elsewhere is inherent in the understanding. Addressing concerns leads to higher understanding. Higher understanding leads to ability to direct attention where you want it to go.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”