How to respond to presure when you're scum read

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

How to respond to presure when you're scum read

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:11 am

Post by ThinkBig »

One of the things that I have noticed that I have trouble with is when I'm scum read and/or have a wagon on me, I tend to start lurking back and falling behind. I don't really know how to respond to the pressure and how to "town up" when you're widely scum read.

What advice should I take to improve in that area? That's probably the weakest area in my games.
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:33 am

Post by mykonian »

Its a really stupid answer, but don't get scumread. Defense, something that people talk about, does not exist. The more you try to not get lynched, the scummier you look, the more you ignore it, the more people will think you are avoiding the issues laid against you. There's no right answer, if you get run up, or suspected, at some point it's your time. It's how mobs and suspicion work, so do get started well. We can pretend we pick our lynches intelligently and adjust for information we gain through the days, but it takes a lot of effort to have people go away from the read they had about someone day 1, even if they don't believe they are tunneling.

So yes, when momentum is against you and you are the next one to go, everything you do will get complained about, if you post it'll get talked about how it's scummy this time, and that might be disheartening enough to lurk out. You won't be the only one. You can take some solace in that they are actually just scumreading you in stead of your posts, but then again, putting effort into those posts isn't worth it either: tomorrow, despite that you have become confirmed town, nobody really cares about what's in them anyway.

To a certain extent, if you focus on that, you can extend the time you live, while being suspected. It doesn't solve your problem, just shifts it to a later day, and in between they still won't listen.

So as to advice, it comes back to the first sentence. Don't get suspected. It's a weak area for everybody.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:42 am

Post by Vi »

Convince them to go after someone else instead. As long as you're not the slowest person running away from the bear your chances aren't that bad. Your chances probably aren't that bad anyway, so don't freak out (unless that would make you harder to lynch).
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:49 am

Post by Firebringer »

i find ignoring that people scum read you and just continuing to hunt for scum works the best, because when you are on the defense people naturally think your super defensive attitude is an admission to guilt.

That doesn't mean ignoring people questions at you or w/e but instead trying taking your focus far away from yourself.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:24 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

literally refuse to mention the pushes on you ever. even if you're at l-1 and someone has intent to hammer you. concern shows weakness
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:17 am

Post by McMenno »

continue to "hunt" for scum... and don't forget to nightkill the people suspecting tou, people will write it off as wifom ;)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am

Post by mastina »

This advice may sound like it's geared towards town, but really, this works regardless of alignment.

While the idea of refusing to defend yourself is all tempting and whatnot, realistically, when people see you refusing to address their attacks, at best they'll feel frustrated at you ignoring them. At worst, they'll assume that because you're not answering them, you can't, that you're deliberately avoiding the subject hoping it'll go away because it's incriminating.

Of course...if you put any effort into defending yourself, you can kiss your ass goodbye because you're getting lynched, guaranteed.

If you can't defend yourself, yet refusing to defend yourself gets you lynched, what can you do?

Simple: you address the concerns people have, but you redirect their attention elsewhere. You push their focus onto other players. You turn their reason for suspecting you around and try to focus it elsewhere. You don't want to ignore their suspicion. You don't want to defend from it. You want to make their suspicion no longer be something they want to direct your way. Get their attention where YOU want it. With you in the spotlight, it's the perfect time to highlight your scumreads, why you have them, and why the players scumreading you should listen to you and lynch your scumreads rather than you. (Yes, as scum, you should have scumreads.)

A task which is far easier, for instance, if you can point out that most/all of their reasons for suspecting you ALSO apply to your scumread. It won't work all the time; you'll still get lynched. The best way to avoid a scumread is to never be scumread. But this is the best general advice to take. Specific situations may differ (where some defense may be warranted), but in general, neither defending yourself nor refusing to defend yourself is the best approach to take. Work with the players accusing you, to try and reach a gamestate where they will push who you want pushed.

...Which you should have, by the way. If you don't have anyone who you want to see pushed, you pretty much deserve the lynch on you. :P
Last edited by mastina on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 0, ThinkBig wrote:One of the things that I have noticed that I have trouble with is when I'm scum read and/or have a wagon on me, I tend to start lurking back and falling behind. I don't really know how to respond to the pressure and how to "town up" when you're widely scum read.

What advice should I take to improve in that area? That's probably the weakest area in my games.
When you're town, you can just scumhunt on your wagon. Generally if your wagon goes up pretty high, there's at least one scum on it. If there isn't that usually means you already screwed up really badly and even then it's helpful to town if you're putting effort to read the people pushing you and who you think is being honest about it and who is being BS-y or opportunistic.
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:28 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

If you're scum, all you need to do is the following.

Code: Select all

*whistles casually.*
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Post by Creature »

Flail, get as desperate as possible to find scum, throw everything that could stick in the wall. If you're town, someone will eventually notice you're town. Otherwise you can say they suck for not reconsidering you.

If you're scum, idk. Maybe try to do the above and hope someone writes you off as town for your flail?
Sigh
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:57 am

Post by TheRealGin-N-Tonic »

In post 9, Creature wrote:Flail, get as desperate as possible to find scum, throw everything that could stick in the wall. If you're town, someone will eventually notice you're town. Otherwise you can say they suck for not reconsidering you.

If you're scum, idk. Maybe try to do the above and hope someone writes you off as town for your flail?
People view flailing as town?
“To be is to do”—Socrates. “To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre. “Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
"Gin, you are so charismatic it's scary." -nancy
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:04 am

Post by Creature »

No, but if you flail, then it's easier to sort you as your posts are less concentrated thus less likely worked on.
Sigh
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:07 am

Post by Aeronaut »

The way to respond to pressure is by pressuring someone else, town or scum. The only way you can get those people off of you is by giving them a better option.
2023 W/L | 1-0
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:13 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

In post 1, mykonian wrote:Defense, something that people talk about, does not exist.
This is wrong though. You should always be transparent and truthful about stuff and answer the cases on you. "The more you answer the scummier you look" is stupid.

answer with confidence , honesty and decency. If you remove every concern as soon as they rise - you won't ever get in trouble. Being active and present to answer will save you from getting lynched - regardless of your alignment

but putting that aside You shouldn't worry to much about being scum read (and thats not agsint my above suggestion you can do both). Just stay calm. whatever you do there will be some others who will interpret that as something scummy (sooner or later). You just need to be consistent and conscious about the game atmosphere and to not let it get out of your control.

and Thats me - who only got lynched twice in past year (about 50 games?) on MS (once as scum day 1 - when RC used a tricky tell) and once as town in lylo when I was exhusted from my teaching class and instead of defending myself I started criticizing the town!
Last edited by Frozen Angel on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:24 am

Post by Fishythefish »

There are two fundamental reasons to think somebody is scummy:
1) Scum would do that.
2) Town wouldn't do that.
Very rarely engage on 1). For one thing, you have no special insight on it - you (supposedly) aren't scum. For another, talking about scum!you, even in theory, never sounds good.

Instead, focus on 2). Explain why you did what you did as town. Ask people if they think it's plausible. It's fine to say "yeah, I get why that looks bad. I might have done it as scum. Here's why I did it as town. Isn't that also just as good an explanation?".
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:13 am

ok new plan just insult everyone who vote you so they get upset and unvote
you suck randomidget
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:16 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

In post 15, Randomnamechange wrote:ok new plan just insult everyone who vote you so they get upset and unvote
I tried that

It will work

But there will be a time when you will be out of "I'm sorry" and you will be ashamed to even sign for new games :(

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:19 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

You're all absolute fucking dogshit for voting me and your mothers would be ashamed of you.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:20 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

:(

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:22 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

But actually you either need to change people's minds or change people's hearts.
Either influence people emotionally to the extent that they no longer wish to vote you or change their read so they no longer think that you're a good vote.
Second is easier but the first makes the game more pleasant for all parties involved.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:23 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 9#p7925439
Holy fuck the emotional manipulation is real.
MH, if you're actually town you're playing so bad that it's not even funny.
:P
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:25 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

In post 19, RadiantCowbells wrote:Second is easier but the first makes the game more pleasant for all parties involved.

:lol:

TRUE fact lol

ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:33 am

Post by ThinkBig »

In post 15, Randomnamechange wrote:ok new plan just insult everyone who vote you so they get upset and unvote
I was in a game once when a person was scum reading and throwing shades at every player who dared to question him and SR him. I actually started to SR him even harder because of that response.
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:39 am

In post 22, ThinkBig wrote:
I was in a game once when a person was scum reading and throwing shades at every player who dared to question him and SR him. I actually started to SR him even harder because of that response.
i was joking. that is what pretty much always happens if someone does that.
you suck randomidget
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:31 am

Post by Ranmaru »

First, I'd look at the votes, and close the browser. I'd try to take a small break so that I can calm down my nervers. Then I come back to the computer to respond. I would explain myself and my motives. I know I'm town so I know everything I will say will be understood to be coming from a town mindset. Don't ever give up your defense, since if scum is pushing it, the more you defend the more ammo you give others to use against that person who mislynched you (if they get to that point) the next day.

Then I'd continue to scumhunt. Sometimes you may get pressured for things that you don't know yet to do. For example, one game I was accused because I have asked a lot of questions but never followed up on them. I now follow up on them, thanks to that experience. Just remember that you are town and you have nothing to fear. Be open, and if you lied then admit the lie and state why you lied.

---

Myko's advice is to not be scumread, or not make any mistakes at all. Yet that's not always going to be the case. Once you are in that position that advice won't help. It's akin to Isai's 'Don't get hit' advice for Smash Bros but, you won't know how to recover from being hit with that advice. It would be optimal to not make any mistakes at all, but we won't know everything to be able to avoid mistakes without having experienced them.

1. Look away and take a break.
2. Relax and calm your nerves.
3. Return refreshed.
4. Respond rationally.
5. Be honest, explain yourself and your motives and thought process.
6. Afterwards, scumhunt. Do not simply defend yourself, you still have to prove to town you care to contribute.
7. Remain active.
7. Above all, remember you are town and that you have nothing to fear and nothing to hide.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”