Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Post by Pine »

Honestly that's usually what Town thinks, that they were playing badly. It often isn't true. Good scum isn't made by bad Town, good scum makes good Towns look bad.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:28 am

Post by TheRealGin-N-Tonic »

In post 25, Pine wrote:Honestly that's usually what Town thinks, that they were playing badly. It often isn't true. Good scum isn't made by bad Town, good scum makes good Towns look bad.
*coughs* Hunger Games *coughs*
“To be is to do”—Socrates. “To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre. “Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
"Gin, you are so charismatic it's scary." -nancy
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:28 am

Post by Pine »

Well, yes, but it's a general observation made from years of games.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Post by SirCakez »

I was the mod of Thing Mafia and can fully attest to how much Magna fooled the town. I don't think he was even considered for a lynch the entire game, even at the very end.
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I think both are true.

There are games won by town playing like shit even when the scum played mediocre, and there are games where fantastic scum play made mincemeat of good towns.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

In post 26, TheRealGin-N-Tonic wrote:
In post 25, Pine wrote:Honestly that's usually what Town thinks, that they were playing badly. It often isn't true. Good scum isn't made by bad Town, good scum makes good Towns look bad.
*coughs* Hunger Games *coughs*
We don't speak of that game. We got Le Snub.
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
Transcend
Transcend
Survivor
Transcend
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:09 am

Post by Transcend »

Vouch for moi
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Post by mastina »

Nominating camn's revenge for Game of the Year
Seriously. This game was an absolute blast. I've NEVER had as much fun in a game as I had in this game. It was pure, unadulterated, fun. More than that, it is an example of some really, really strong town plays. The town this game was good. The town this game made many, many strong plays, including having PoE'd two of the three scum on D1.

The scumteam made some hilarious mistakes along the way as well, including a guilty result which almost entirely fucked them over because of how condemning it was (even after the mod redacted part of the guilty!), and yet, in spite of this because of what boiled down to basically luck, they were able to set up an endgame where via paranoia the town player who had been cleared since D1 ended up vengekilled.

It was frustrating to watch all the town's hard work go down the drain basically overnight, when we had fought so hard to get there and had locked the game down, but it was a good recovery on the scum's part. Scum avoided the lynch D1 when they were set to die. Scum laid wifom when their second member died. Scum managed to keep their third member from being the mislynch...three times in a row. And in spite of the vengeful townie having the remaining scum as their top scumread the whole game, they were talked out of it...by no less than the town's archnemesis, Pine, the guy the game's mechanic revolved around.

As infuriating as the loss was, it was still the most fun I have ever had in a game and I think I'll never find a game as enjoyable as this one. Except, maybe a sequel...

...Oh. And speaking of that game:
Nominating the Town Jam Session for Kodak Moment
What was the Town Jam Session? In a word, pure, unadulterated, awesomeness.
It started here, with Nacho asking if TheRealGin-N-Tonic and I were around.
What resulted was 8 (almost 9!) real-life hours of continuous posting, where any player who was around (mostly us three, but later also Aristophanes among others) would talk and give contributions as we rocked out and locked the game down. We went from having no coherency at the beginning to having two of the three scum in our lynchpool. It started at Nacho's 1555.
It ended at around post 2005, a full 450 posts and 18 pages later. This was pure town posting, a bloc of town players, hashing their reads out, bouncing it back and forth, with the results of having solidly townread each other and solid, established, firm scumreads.

THAT is the essence of a good town, of synchronization that is deadly effective.
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:49 pm

I 2nd the nominations above.

I will never forget the Town Jam Session, or this game really. It created probably the biggest bond I have with any player on this site(Mastina/Nacho) and it made me become 10 times better than I ever thought.

Also, with the game mentioned above, if you spectated or played in it, do you think Pine deserves a Nom for most cunning manipulator?
“To be is to do”—Socrates. “To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre. “Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:56 pm

Post by Pine »

Third the above nominations

For reasons stated. The Town Jam Session ripped us apart, and it was the work of weeks to stitch things back together.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:21 pm

Post by mastina »

Also worth mentioning in that game were some hilarious moments, like this sequence:
-Me lying about my claim.
-Scum KNOWING I was lying about my claim, but being unable to do anything to prove it aside from nightkilling me.
-A scum player botching their fakeclaim because they were relying on me having
not
lied about my claim.
-The hilarious moment where scum realized I had effectively trolled them and that their strongest remaining role was now confscum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:49 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 33, TheRealGin-N-Tonic wrote:
I 2nd the nominations above.

I will never forget the Town Jam Session, or this game really. It created probably the biggest bond I have with any player on this site(Mastina/Nacho) and it made me become 10 times better than I ever thought. Also, with the game mentioned above, if you spectated or played in it, do you think Pine deserves a Nom for most cunning manipulator?
In post 34, Pine wrote:
Third the above nominations

For reasons stated. The Town Jam Session ripped us apart, and it was the work of weeks to stitch things back together.
For the record, since I don't see your names listed there, you need to actually submit via the form (twice, to get both noms) in order for the second/third to actually show up to the judges, unless the judges actually read the nomination thread. (Which I'm under the impression the nomination form was meant to fully replace them doing.)
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:53 pm

So uhh, how do we do the Kodak one?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:56 pm

Post by mastina »

I submitted it as being us and later Aristophanes, and in the description explaining the name of it as the Town Jam session, even though it really should be the other way around with it being the Town Jam Session as the name with a mention of the players in the description, but the format's what the format is, so.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Post by McMenno »

when I'm not being lazy I might make a nomination for su2. don't hold your aren't we alls though
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Post by Varsoon »

(cough)
second.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Steven Universe 2 should get some nom for being like the whole series in one game, like I don't know if Varsoon left one reference from any episode out.
God damn that flavor was great
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:50 pm

Post by Varsoon »

It helped that I gave every player an ability that forced me to write flavor in regards to their role flavor. :P
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Post by camn »

In post 41, Firebringer wrote:Steven Universe 2 should get some nom for being like the whole series in one game, like I don't know if Varsoon left one reference from any episode out.
God damn that flavor was great
Paperback Writer? Is that still a thing?
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Post by Pine »

Yes.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Yume
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Yume
She/They
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: She/They

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:05 am

Post by Yume »

nth the SU
Show
Whatever the chains placed upon me
Whatever the prison, my soul has the key
No money can buy, no power can still
No burden can break the unshakeable strength of my will

Mah best game

My alignment is what JJH says it is.
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:49 am

Post by SirCakez »

Nth camns revenge moms and SU2
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Post by mastina »

I'll be sure to submit official nominations (remember kids, if it's not in the form it's not formal! No formal nom equals no fucking entry into consideration for the reward) in a bit for that game, butyeah. I'll make proper writeups later, but:
Varsoon's work is more than worthy of Paperback Writer.
Varsoon's work is definitely worthy of Best Setup.
The only sin against Varsoon's best mechanic is that I beat him to it by a couple of months. :P But if mine was worthy, so too is his. (That, aside from how our exact integration of the mechanic/role was different, so.)
Given the epic nature of the game, it is definitely something which might be a contender for Game of the Year.

But I need to formally go over that game, formally submit these, and write up some proper nominations rather than just this plain verbal support.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

Nominating "In Memory" for "Best setup"

Game link - Game setup link

The game was a Upick but that's not making its setup to not look brilliant. The game was confirmed 11 town + 3 mafia + 1 extra something. It had multiple neighbourhoods , a fusionar who chould boost people up, a self janitor traitor, 2 different roles for 2 different hydra partners (deo), a death delayed and a modified-vengeful suicide bomber which were perfectly countered by a temp vanalizer.

filling the form in a minute
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:24 am

Post by Pine »

Following through on some planned nominations and endorsements:

Camn's Revenge
for
Game of the Year

Mastina said it better than I, and from a perhaps more objective perspective, but I echo her sentiments most heartily. This game was indeed some of the best fun I've had on site. Practically every player turned in stellar performances, both Town and scum. We the scumteam felt like we were constantly on the run from a Town hot on our heels, and only through a series of ploys, deceptions, and gambits did we barely eke out a win. Any other scumteam would have been annihilated. Any other Town would have been completely rolled. The best parts were the Town Jam Session, a ten-page conversation conducted live over several hours where a number of Town players collaborated to break the game wide open and form a voting bloc that took us the entire rest of the game to dismantle. Endgame was equally challenging. Town had their sights locked in on the final mafioso going in, and ultimately fell prey to internal divisions and paranoia, widened by WIFOM and coordination between the scum treestump (me) and SirCakez.

The setup, design, and moderation were wholly original, and well-executed by Camn. Further, this paradigm is repeatable, and we hope for future iterations of this style game, as it has inspired the planning of a series of Revenge games.

Boffo!

=========

Town Jam Session
from Camn's Revenge for
Kodak Moment

Again, Mastina's account is more detailed, but I think I have the upper hand in objectivity here, as I was absent during the event and the leader of the opposition party. Starting with the linked post was a running conversation among several active players, principally Nachomamma8, mastina, TheRealGin-N-Tonic, Prism, Monokuma (Nahdia and Road Kamelot), and Aristophanes. Their efforts over the course of several hours and 18 or so pages split the game wide open, creating a solid Town bloc that identified two of the three scum players and a dominant force directing the Town for the rest of the game. As the opposition, I recall opening the thread in the morning and having a sinking feeling the more I read, which got progressively worse as we went on.

What makes this memorable is not only the facts of the incident, or the players involved, or even the effectiveness of the tactic, but rather the camaraderie it engendered among the Town players. We found it very difficult to break that bond in subsequent days, and that evening's work carried Town all the way to endgame.

Further, the success of this one event seems to be sparking a trend of similar 'jam sessions' in other games, having cropped up in at least two or three other games that I am aware of. To me, a memorable moment isn't just a singular event, but something that inspires repetition and imitation.

=========

I'd like to nom
inspectorscout
for
Excellent Moderation
based on New York 201 - The House of Harmony, but apparently it is a body of work category rather than an individial game category. It's the only game of his I've played, does anyone have other games of his that are also of similar caliber?

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare

Return to “Scummies and Mashies Archives”