Google Form Vote Counter

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Google Form Vote Counter

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Post by zoraster »

Okay, so I've built a google form and spreadsheet that will do vote counts. Before the game each player gives a pin code to the mod who enters it in.

Votes are submitted by a google form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... Q/viewform

It then allows the mod to output something like this every so often:

Current Vote Count

Please note that votes are not listed chronologically here.

Most Up to Date Votes

Previous 25 Vote Transcript

Spoiler: 25 Vote Transcript

Text Vote Count

Spoiler: Text Vote Count (For Vote Analysis)
Name Votes
Zoraster 2 Vi hitogoroshi
Vi 1 Zoraster
SpyreX 0
Gordon 0
Frank 0
hitogoroshi 0
Melvin 0
Sherry 0
Equinox 0
Untrod Tripod 0
Cameron 0
Elway 0
William 0

Two major problems at the moment and one minor one I'd like help with:

Major:
1. When the hammer is reached, the mod won't know about it if a vote is changed. The mod could go back and figure it out from the transcript, but this is designed to make life easier and be foolproof. Is there a google spreadsheet thing I can do to have a switch go if a certain value is reached that won't go back if the number goes down? In other words, I'd like Cell A1 (or whatever) to contain the # needed to lynch. IF Vote Total Cell is ever equal to or greater than A1, B1="Yes" EVEN IF Vote Total Cell is currently below A1.

2. The charts will automatically update based on current votes. The solution is to provide each time a text version of the vote count, which isn't hard to do (just a copy and paste job into the vote count post template), but it's not elegant. Not sure there's a good solution to this.

Minor:

The vote count doesn't show chronological votes. In the example, Vi will ALWAYS be to the left of hitogoroshi. This isn't a huge problem as time stamps and transcripts are provided, but it does remove one nice feature of hand-done vote counts.

---

It can work for up to 30 players with minor adjustments.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Looking through formulas on excel it looks like you can use an "if" function on a formula. So if you get to the lynch threshold it's meant to display an alert. I don't know if the alert stays if the lynch threshold is broken though. Not sure if it translates to google's system either.

http://ccm.net/faq/1114-basic-excel-for ... f-function
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:19 am

Post by zoraster »

yeah the problem isn't the if formula. it's that it'll display "Hammer" or whatever I want if and only if the value CURRENTLY is at hammer. Given that the vote count is in real time, anyone who votes off the hammered person will cause it not to read "Hammer" even though the hammer has been reached.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:43 am

Post by Kagami »

Make a vb function that writes "hammer" to an arbitrary cell. Mod deletes the message on new day
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:46 am

Post by Kagami »

2 can be done with straightforward string manipulation functions
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:53 am

Post by zoraster »

can you walk me through those? I'm not much of a coder. I can give access to the current spreadsheet iteration.

Where I'd like to put the hammer trigger is in a sheet called

Vote Count Sheet 2

Cell C3.

---
I'm not sure what you mean by "straightforward string manipulation formulas"
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:01 am

Post by zoraster »

Right now my hammer trigger (that only shows when it is CURRENTLY hammer) formula is:

=IF(COUNTIF(B4:B34,">"&'Player Names'!E1)=0,"No Hammer","HAMMER HAMMER HAMMER")

Where B3:B34 is the vote per person, 'Player Names'!B1 is a cell that gives the number required to lynch (defaults to Players Alive/2 but can be manually set to something else).
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:41 am

Post by Kagami »

Doing 1 with a typical formula is impossible (I think), because excel wants doesn't want to have its current state be dictated by anything other than what it currently is. The solution is to write a VBA formula that says something like "If <cell> > <threshold> Then <hardcoded cell index> = "HAMMER!".

If I understand 2, it can be done with string formulas. It's just going to end up being a giant set of &s, ifs, and maybe some string trimming.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:43 am

Post by zoraster »

What are you trying to do to solve 2? Becuase I feel like #2's problem is very similar to #1s in that it's about capturing a certain point in time.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:47 am

Post by Kagami »

Aa, I see what you're saying, you want to keep a snapshot of all the VCs as they occur.

One solution is very similar to 1, you'll need to write a VBA function that looks for a specific range of cells, finds where the historical VCs end, pushes them all down, then writes the current VC to the top.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:51 am

Post by Kagami »

I'm thinking in excel, btw. I just realized we're talking about sheet, and I'm not really sure how scripting works there.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:58 am

Post by Kagami »

function writeToMagicCell() {
SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSheet().getRange('K6').setValue('o hi there');
}

^ this is the kind of thing you'll have to do.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:06 am

Post by zoraster »

Google Spreadsheets uses Google Apps script, which is based on Javascript
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:12 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 2, zoraster wrote:yeah the problem isn't the if formula. it's that it'll display "Hammer" or whatever I want if and only if the value CURRENTLY is at hammer. Given that the vote count is in real time, anyone who votes off the hammered person will cause it not to read "Hammer" even though the hammer has been reached.
I feel like there's a way to have a triggered output that goes when a threshold is hit and then ignores all future states, but it's been a long time since I studied excel so I'm not sure if I'm remembering wrong or if it's something I pulled off with a buggy formula...
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:04 am

Post by PokerFace »

You may want to reach out to thesp if he still frequents the forums. He made a vote counter you could get code help from
http://www.robandkriskris.com/votecounter/
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39491
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Post by Realeo »

^- And it still works.
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

I'm mabye a serious player, but I'm capable of joke. Ok?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Post by zoraster »

Yeah. That's not what I'm looking for
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Yeah my understanding is that the advantage this one would offer is a dynamic live updating of votes. (Which is why the pitfall of the hammer condition being removed is an issue.)

Edit: Oh, I just looked at the form and it looks like you would vote with the form rather than on site? It's a different way of going about it but that actually would offer some advantages in that it basically eliminates any element of fake voting that has happened on the site in the past.
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:10 am

Post by Realeo »

Why I feel that using this idea, there is a higher chance of accidental hammering?
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:39 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 18, Realeo wrote:Why I feel that using this idea, there is a higher chance of accidental hammering?
Oh, there absolutely is if for no other reason than MS's post system stops you from posting when there's another post.

But that can be addressed in game rules.
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:27 am

Post by Realeo »

Ah, so you vote on the Google Form and on thread for double counting? Makes sense.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:42 am

Post by zoraster »

eh, probably not. Part of the reason to do this is to make vote counts more accurate and nearly instant. I suspect people would OFTEN vote both places but the only official one would be through the form.

What I meant by "rule" is you could put into place a rule that if a vote is the hammer placed within 5 minutes of the L-1 vote, a certain amount of time is given for the hammer voter to move off. Or some such. If that's a concern.

One other way to address it would simply be to use a different style of game, which is to make hammers not automatically end the day. Perhaps ending 24 hours after the Hammer is noted by the mod or something if and only if the hammer is still there.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:45 am

Post by Kison »

I believe there is an onSubmit event you can have trigger when a Google Form is submitted. You may be able to have it scan the sheet, determine whether a hammer already has been placed, and either block the submission or perform some additional write to the sheet in that event.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:59 am

Post by PeregrineV »

In post 0, zoraster wrote:Major:
1. When the hammer is reached, the mod won't know about it if a vote is changed. The mod could go back and figure it out from the transcript, but this is designed to make life easier and be foolproof. Is there a google spreadsheet thing I can do to have a switch go if a certain value is reached that won't go back if the number goes down? In other words, I'd like Cell A1 (or whatever) to contain the # needed to lynch. IF Vote Total Cell is ever equal to or greater than A1, B1="Yes" EVEN IF Vote Total Cell is currently below A1.
You could have a log that completes each time a vote occurs?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Check the hammer condition each time a vote is placed.
I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
eagerSnake
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:29 am

Post by eagerSnake »

In post 0, zoraster wrote:
Major:
Simple just make it so when hammer is reached it changes the cell that contains the formula that detects when the hammer is reached so it won't change the cell back if someone unvotes

i.e. in cell C6 put the formula that if any of cells B4:B34 becomes greater than the hammer number then delete the formula in c6 and change cell c6 to the word hammer, or even simpler just have it write the word hammer in cell c7 if any B4:B34 ever reaches the hammer number

Return to “Mafia Discussion”