Idea of a role

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
big_kahunia
big_kahunia
Intimate Stranger
big_kahunia
Intimate Stranger
Intimate Stranger

Idea of a role

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:32 pm

Post by big_kahunia »

I was thinking the other day about a new role in mafia--the "Mime".
This role could choose someone each night and then use that person's ability that same night. Example: if the mime chose the doctor on night 2, the mime could then chose to protect someone night 2. If the mime chose a mafia member, that player would be informed that they could kill someone that night. The mafia, vigilant, and serial killer would be indistiguishable to the mime.

Opinions and feedback are welcome.

bk.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:42 pm

Post by jeep »

It's a good role.

A word of advice for people with new roles: read all of DP's games first. ;) Details may vary, but he's probably already come up with the concept.

-JEEP
NanookTheWolf
NanookTheWolf
R.I.P. He trusted mathcam.
NanookTheWolf

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:53 pm

Post by NanookTheWolf »

I think that is a pretty cool role. Although it may be too powerful. Just think that if the mime chose a mafia member on night one and decided that he/she liked the idea to kill, and cept choosing the same person. That could be pretty harsh on the town, unless of course the rule was that they could only choose a particular person one...

And who's side would it be on? It's not really a pro town, anti town, or pro itself role, so where would it land.

It would be great come time for claims, because the mime would know for sure who each person that it chose is. Which could be in less favor for the good ol' mafia.

I'll ponder some more and get back to ya...

~
Scurrys off in hopes of returning
:idea:
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:51 am

Post by Narninian »

The mime would be super-powerful - not only would they be able to use the role, but they would be a super-cop - knowing everyone's role they check.
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:01 am

Post by Dasquian »

The biggest problem I can see with that role is one of timing. You're requiring not one but two night PMs from the Mime - first to work out who he's copying, then to work out what he's doing with his ability for that night.

That means you have to decide what happens if you put him in the same game as a role-blocker - do you wait till all other PMs are in before telling the Mime his choice went through OK, then wait for him to PM you his second target? Or do you wait for the role-blocker to send in the choice possibly tipping him off to the existence and identity of the blocker, etc?

Alternatively you could get him to pick blind, and have to send a single PM with his copy-target and ability-target, not knowing whether he's going to kill or protect them ;)
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:49 am

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

On the town's side, he'd be too powerful. As a lone SK type, this is basically what I used in dune and famous women mafia.
Primoris
Primoris
Goon
Primoris
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:19 am

Post by Primoris »

jeep wrote:It's a good role.

A word of advice for people with new roles: read all of DP's games first. ;) Details may vary, but he's probably already come up with the concept.

-JEEP
Should credit be given to DP when you find out that you have the same role? I assume you don't have to take the role out of the game just because it has been used already, if it's good, why not use it?
The best trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:26 am

Post by Dasquian »

I don't think that was JEEP's meaning - I think he simply meant to say that when coming up with a new role, checking DP's games for similar roles is an efficient use of time since he's explored a lot of Mafia design space in his various games, and you are more likely to find something similar in practice and see how it worked out than looking anywhere else.
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:02 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Primoris wrote:Should credit be given to DP when you find out that you have the same role? I assume you don't have to take the role out of the game just because it has been used already, if it's good, why not use it?
Generally speaking there aren't any copyrights in effect on Mafia deisgns, be they legally or socially enforced. If it looks good for the setup, use it. If you feel the need to give credit to the originator, go ahead. I wouldn't worry about copying someone else's material though, unless they ask you not to.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:17 am

Post by jeep »

Dasquian has the right of it: I'm not saying that you have to credit DP or that you cannot use roles that have been used before. Heck, I've independantly had a role idea that matched one of his. I've used roles that other have debuted. It's just that it's amusing to see people say "Hey, look at this great new role" only to have a role that has been used in multiple games be described.

Discussing the role is great, I just think that if you are designing new roles, you should do the research.

-JEEP
Primoris
Primoris
Goon
Primoris
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:35 am

Post by Primoris »

Okay, thank you for the answers :)
The best trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Uraj45
Uraj45
Goon
Uraj45
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:21 am

Post by Uraj45 »

Incidentally, I think if you use such a role, you should prevent the mime from targeting the same person from whom he got the ability. A couple of situations that happen otherwise come up in my mind.
Oh dear! The doc role claimed. Well I'll just mime and protect him then.
Hmmm. . .my mimee can kill . . the vig is dead. . .so he's gotta be evil. Mime and kill same person.

Then again. . .mime on town is superpowerful as people have already said anyway, but i think this is something to take note of.
Tacitus velut nox. Vigilans velut umbra.

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:47 pm

Post by Guest »

[DP from a hotel internet access]
Indeed, everybody by all means, use any roles I have introduced. Jeep's comment is right. Seeing how a role worked in practice is very beneficial. There are a few I introduced that I think did not work, so I won't be using them again.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”