When a V/LA is too long?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

When a V/LA is too long?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Post by Realeo »

I see some players, not going to mention them, which seems to use V/LA as a reason to "dodge the prod clock". During this V/LA time, they can be very active for a long period of time, then goes away when the discussion is against them, using the V/LA to not get prod. When the discussion is on their favor again, they would talk again. Obviously, it's not beyond reasonable doubt, but they keep repeatedly using a long V/LA and it makes me a paranoid.

My question:

When is a V/LA is too long and I should impose "replace out for too long."

Note: I am aware of the rule that I cannot use V/LA for intentional lurking and I am aware that I should not test the boundary of the rule. I'm talking this, as a game moderator, wanting to know how to face this possibility.
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

I'm mabye a serious player, but I'm capable of joke. Ok?
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:01 am

Post by Creature »

I've seen players doing "oh it's exam week and i'll post slightly less therefore calling V/LA" rather than "i can't post much in these days".

Yeah, I already had a player calling V/LA and not posting for five days in one of my games.

imo it's better to make them stil meet activity requirements (though consider increasing their prod timer). If they're like "I can't post for two weeks", maybe just go like "okay, you're too busy, gonna find a replacement for you"
Sigh
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:04 am

Post by Firebringer »

I put in a rule about if players will be gone longer than five that they should rethink if they want to do replace out unstead
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:59 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

When I worked on balancing my TimePoints™ mechanic (which basically makes it objective how much inactivity is allowed), I effectively charged players half a prod for each 24 hours beyond the first 48. (A 48 hour V/LA is obviously harmless; the player could have gone that long without posting
without
declaring the V/LA, so although declaring it is definitely a helpful fact to know, it isn't something that should have any cost at all.)

When I'm handling V/LAs more subjectively, I base things on the state of the game; if the game is generally active, there aren't many questions being asked of the V/LAing player, and we're far from deadline, I might be willing to accept a 6- or 7-day V/LA, whereas if the players are doing something setup-spec heavy which requires particular players to act at particular times and has low activity during that period, even 4 can be too much and warrant a replacement. I think in general, though, 5 days is close to the standard for a V/LA that's considered to be on the edge of reasonable (assuming it means no posting at all), and the exact length of the V/LA would have to be declared in advance; some mods would approve, some would disapprove, but it'd be a close decision for most of them.

If a player declares an indefinite V/LA (most commonly as a consequence of an emergency), I'll ask for an update on the situation after 48 hours, and replace after a further 24 if I don't get a response. (Normally you get an update within 24 hours, though.)

By the way, if there's any chance a player might be V/LA overNight, you need to figure out what their night actions would be somehow; ask for the player to submit them early, delegate to a scumbuddy/Mason buddy, etc..
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

mine is 4 days

Will prod them again in 5th day
and will replace them in 6th
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

I've played a entire game while on a V/LA. Considering I signed up while I was on said V/LA, I think I knew I still had time to make posts, just not at my usual times.

As a Mod, my ruleset gives people on V/LA a 72/48 prod timer.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Post by Equinox »

I disregard V/LAs and continue to prod and replace at the usual interval because I'm a heartless monster.

It also completely eliminates the problem of overlong V/LAs. The techniques discussed thus far may be better solutions, though. If someone knows beforehand that they're going to be away for a while, then I usually ask if (1) they'll be able to post at least once every 48 hours and/or (2) they'd be interested in a temporary replacement.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:38 pm

I don't do temporary replacements because it's unfair on the temporary replacement.
I'd have no qualms with letting a player replace back into their own slot if they had to replace out due to emergency (actually, sticking around after the emergency and following the game is a good way to demonstrate that you didn't replace out for selfish reasons). I typically run smaller games, though, and so far none of my games has run long enough to allow that to happen.
scum
town
Fro99er
Fro99er
Survivor
Fro99er
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:04 am

Post by Fro99er »

I do half a day phase as my rule.
"I officially announce Fro99er the king of guilties because this is the second time he has guiltied a slot I was really unsure about.
Heil King Froggo.
Ribbit ribbit." -Transcend
Riley Cake
Riley Cake
Goon
Riley Cake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:42 am

Post by Riley Cake »

I don't allow V/LAs in the games I mod. I mean, you can declare it, and I'll wish you a happy vacation or whatever, and maybe other players will be more lenient on you if that's the case. But prod rules apply for all players without deviation.
:D :D ~ xoxoxo Cutie Alert!! Riley is here!! xoxoxo ~ :D :D
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:53 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 9, Riley Cake wrote:I don't allow V/LAs in the games I mod. I mean, you can declare it, and I'll wish you a happy vacation or whatever, and maybe other players will be more lenient on you if that's the case. But prod rules apply for all players without deviation.
What games you mod?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Riley Cake
Riley Cake
Goon
Riley Cake
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:08 am

Post by Riley Cake »

None on here C:<
:D :D ~ xoxoxo Cutie Alert!! Riley is here!! xoxoxo ~ :D :D
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:31 am

Note that V/LA declarations are at least partly for the other players, rather than for the moderator.

I declared a V/LA an hour long once, because the thread was
very
active with people going back and forth in realtime, but I really needed to eat. (Wasn't a marathon game, but had spontaneously turned into one.)
scum
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”