I think the mafia scum rules need to be updated

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

I think the mafia scum rules need to be updated

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Post by ironstove »

I was banned a few weeks ago from signing new games, and on top of that, the site mod decided to go a step further and have me mod replaced from all ongoing games despite having received no warning whatsoever.

The message stated:
Hello ironstove,

You are being banned, effectively immediately from
joining
new mafia games for four weeks for abusive behavior. You are also to be force-replaced from all current games. Posts like this are not acceptable on mafiascum. You've been previously banned for these types of posts before as well as discussing ongoing games, and I want to reiterate that you need to be more careful with your posting overall.
Please refer to the Site Rules if you're unclear on what types of behaviors are not okay.
If you have any questions you may contact a Listmod (Llamafluff, Mina, Nexus, Radja, T-Bone, Untrod Tripod). You'll be able to sign up for new mafia games again on Sunday 19th February 2017

Thanks,
Nexus
Normal Listmod
So I recently decided to try to host a normal game and was notified that I need to join the host queue after my sign up ban has expired.

I requested further information on why this is the case, and I had my PM ignored.

I'd simply like to know why a ban effecting a player in one area (the ban itself I feel was excessive, considering that a warning is perfectly sufficient) should restrict action in another without any specification?

I find that the rules at MS are pretty vague, this is literally the only line that I can find that is relevant to the offense I committed:
Since Mafia is based largely on conflict and psychological manipulation, we are somewhat more tolerant of aggressive and heated posts in-game than in the rest of the forums. However, game mods will often take action for excessively abusive behavior or slurs, up to and including a force-replacement or modkill. In certain cases, posters with multiple or severe offenses may receive site-wide punishments from the list moderators, such as temporary or permanent bans from
joining or playing games
. Please refer to the most recent pages of the Ban/Restrictions Announcements thread for an idea of what behavior crosses the line.
Of course some insults and flames are allowed, but why is it alright to call a person a 'shithead' or 'moron' and launch personal attacks berating someone's intelligence as a human being, while a comment by me indicating (humorously) that suicide is a permanent solution to all of life's problems gets me a 4 week ban and force-replaced from my games?

On top of this, the ban I received was specifically for signing up into games, not hosting games (That is the specific wording used from the rules itself), so I think the vagueness of the rules should be more specific or fixed, or mods need to do a better job at communicating with users, rather than saying 'you're banned from joining new games', it should say you're banned from being involved with any games'

There also needs to be an appeals process IMO, there currently is no board of review for bans that occur on MS like other online communities, and I'd like to know if something of this sort could happen. I went through one mod, who directed me to a site admin, the site admin refused to read the thread and understand the context of my comment, rather he said the ban was justified and I was lucky I didn't get a harsher punishment (wtf???). When I asked him to look at the context, he ignored me and did not respond back.

The first ban I received was for cursing and using a homophobic epithet as a joke, not because I actually thought someone was gay, and even if I knew someone was gay, I would not have a problem with it let alone be insensitive enough to use a slur against them even if I did (I don't).

I knew after that 'Ok ironstove, remember to not make any racist or homophobic remarks because mafiascum is a #safespace and you don't want to get B& again' so I consciously tiptoed my way through this game that i was in

but really, even suicide jokes are over the line? I'd like a definitive list of all actions and terms which are banned from usage on MS.

I'm tired of offending people, I'm sure people are tired of being offended by me because they're reporting my posts.
I don't want to get banned again because I enjoy playing on this site, but I can't read your minds as moderators or players, and if you're not going to give me a warning and just straight up ban me for a month every time someone feels like they've been emotionally scarred by something I wrote and needs to join a therapy group, I can't really do anything about it because I'm literally navigating blind, and all I can do is add each ban I have to the ongoing list of 'things that can't be said or done on MS'

My ban is ending soon anyway and I'm planning to rejoin a game, but I already suspect someone is going to try to report me for some minor offense and a ban happy moderator that doesn't like me is going to try to issue something like a 3 month ban on my account because I'm a 'repeat offender' LMAO.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Post by zoraster »

Rewriting the mafia rules to more clearly reflect the way policy is enforced is pretty high on my to-do list.

That said, I doubt the changes will make you feel all that much better. We will not be providing a list of things you can't do, and a certain level of ambiguity will exist in the rules.

We can do better with explaining what exactly each type of punishment means, though.
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Post by ironstove »

Of course a certain level of ambiguity must exist, but maybe the policy regarding how punishments are issued out should be changed?

Presuming that the same offense did not occur twice, you could issue out a warning, or if someone recently came off a ban, I don't think that warrants them to be banned for an even longer period of time with 0 warning and 0 process to appeal the decision with a case.

It's just straight confusing when you say in one line of the rules 'Flames are part of the game' but in the next line say 'you're going to get banned if we think you're taking it too far',
I'd imagine having a line like this warrants a warning system rather than immediate 4 week bans. It's too excessive. Do you not agree?

I want to build a good reputation on this website and it's very difficult when moderators and admins refuse to communicate when I reach out to them, and show 0 leniency when I make the case that things were a misunderstanding and won't happen again. I'm an actual person and not some random stranger, I've been on this website coming close to a year now, and I've been reading articles on this site for close to 2.

This entire experience has really made me question why you issue bans at all. Is it to give a person time to reflect on their actions and determine what it was that they did wrong in the period of time that they're unable to participate with the community and improve themselves to avoid making the same mistake, or is it a tool used to be used irrationally in a draconian fashion over petty incidents with no concern over whether people are improving?

I was very clear when speaking with the mod and admin that I did not make my comment in seriousness and knowing that such comments were not allowed was all I needed, I did not need to be banned, I did not need to be mod-replaced or have the hosts who were taking the time to host the game go through the trouble of finding me a replacement and pause the game for all other players.

I'm not a stupid person, and all you have to do is communicate with me to let me know that I broke the rules because even you agree that the rules are vague.

Banning an active player for a month who doesn't replace out of games, and actively participates over one person complaining without even properly investigating, even after the person who has been banned requests someone to do so, is lazy moderation which is why I'm trying to be active on my part to avoid it happening again.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:45 pm

Post by zoraster »

You were warned on or around November 26th.
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Post by ironstove »

Yes, that was a precursor to the first ban, but no warning was given for the second. Was I being unclear?
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Post by Kmd4390 »

Without going into detail on what I personally agree or disagree with, and keeping in mind that I hold no authoritative position on the forums, your best course of action is to know your crowd and site culture.

Anything about suicide is probably out because a lot of people here are dealing with depression and similar issues and something that pokes fun at that is obviously going to be seen as in bad taste.

The site has a lot of people who identify as homosexual, transgender, and whatever other LBGT groups exist. Anything that makes them feel like less of a person because of that fact is obviously going to be off limits.

Past bans have shown that making fun of any type of mental handicap, whether real or implied, will be taken seriously. Don't use "retarded" as a slur for example.

Just a few of many examples. If you don't know if what you want to say will be tolerated or not, the best course of action is to not say it. Second best is to ask a game mod or discussion mod (depending on where you are posting) via private message whether you would be crossing any lines or not before you post. I'm sure things will get easier over time as you get a better feel for site culture.

As for the mods specifically, they are human. They also have a thankless job. People are always judging what is justified, what isn't, and what they failed to act on. They may or may not get it right. Whether they got it right or not is usually a matter of opinion. But the thing to remember is they are the ones who control what is banworthy. Listening to what they have to say and communicating with them when needed are the two best ways to not get banned. They've done a pretty good job of laying out what is ok and what isn't and usually will answer questions you have even if it may take time.

Personally, I hold some opinions that a lot of people here (mods included) aren't ok with. I have an occupation that could make me a target (to the point that I once recieved a death threat on mafiascum). Yet I've managed to avoid any bans on here while others who hold those same opinions struggle with that. It's because I know when to leave a discussion and when to not even enter it (most of the time). It's not always easy, but biting your tongue will go a long way. The most important thing as far as not getting banned, in mafia games, is to remember that you are playing a game. It's meant to be fun. You are arguing and will get frustrated, so insults will naturally fly. But try not to get personal and offensive. Try to attack the play rather than the person.

I hope you're reading this with an open mind because it's the best advice I can give and I actually put some time into this post.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:55 pm

Post by ironstove »

In post 5, Kmd4390 wrote:Without going into detail on what I personally agree or disagree with, and keeping in mind that I hold no authoritative position on the forums, your best course of action is to know your crowd and site culture.

Anything about suicide is probably out because a lot of people here are dealing with depression and similar issues and something that pokes fun at that is obviously going to be seen as in bad taste.

The site has a lot of people who identify as homosexual, transgender, and whatever other LBGT groups exist. Anything that makes them feel like less of a person because of that fact is obviously going to be off limits.

Past bans have shown that making fun of any type of mental handicap, whether real or implied, will be taken seriously. Don't use "retarded" as a slur for example.

Just a few of many examples. If you don't know if what you want to say will be tolerated or not, the best course of action is to not say it. Second best is to ask a game mod or discussion mod (depending on where you are posting) via private message whether you would be crossing any lines or not before you post. I'm sure things will get easier over time as you get a better feel for site culture.

As for the mods specifically, they are human. They also have a thankless job. People are always judging what is justified, what isn't, and what they failed to act on. They may or may not get it right. Whether they got it right or not is usually a matter of opinion. But the thing to remember is they are the ones who control what is banworthy. Listening to what they have to say and communicating with them when needed are the two best ways to not get banned. They've done a pretty good job of laying out what is ok and what isn't and usually will answer questions you have even if it may take time.

Personally, I hold some opinions that a lot of people here (mods included) aren't ok with. I have an occupation that could make me a target (to the point that I once recieved a death threat on mafiascum). Yet I've managed to avoid any bans on here while others who hold those same opinions struggle with that. It's because I know when to leave a discussion and when to not even enter it (most of the time). It's not always easy, but biting your tongue will go a long way. The most important thing as far as not getting banned, in mafia games, is to remember that you are playing a game. It's meant to be fun. You are arguing and will get frustrated, so insults will naturally fly. But try not to get personal and offensive. Try to attack the play rather than the person.

I hope you're reading this with an open mind because it's the best advice I can give and I actually put some time into this post.
Thanks, this was a good post. I appreciate it.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:52 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Any time
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 1, zoraster wrote:Rewriting the mafia rules to more clearly reflect the way policy is enforced is pretty high on my to-do list.

That said, I doubt the changes will make you feel all that much better. We will not be providing a list of things you can't do, and a certain level of ambiguity will exist in the rules.

We can do better with explaining what exactly each type of punishment means, though.
I request there be a manner for us to repeal bans in the case of discretion and ambiguity. I think that can help.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:57 pm

Post by zoraster »

There is an appeal method. But it's unlikely to be resolved on the basis of ambiguity. And discretion is always part of the job.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:45 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 4, ironstove wrote:Yes, that was a precursor to the first ban, but no warning was given for the second. Was I being unclear?
That warning and first ban
were
warnings, in this context.
ZZZX
ZZZX
Survivor
ZZZX
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:17 am

Post by ZZZX »

Sometimes the bans feel random in other ways. I for one have not been banned/warned here since ever (i think?) yet I think that my language can be a little bit... heated at some point. I've seen people banned for things I believe to not warrant it if I would be the judge (hence, I am not the judge in here so my opinion is of no-value) yet at the other side i've seen things that do warrant it. vagueness is both a pro and a con at this stage. Nothing much can be done but in general I believe we should have the system where the person insulted can ask for the person to stop using said phrases and on refusal a ban should be warranted, The thing I hate the most is someone offended enough to report someone yet not mention it to the person who was in the wrong as an attempt to get the said person in trouble. Because if I was angry as hell at you in game and went off a little rude and you commented on that and asked me to stop I would comply in some sense.
Implosion: I see ZZZX was
redacted
. For shame, people. For shame.
The Bulge: ZZZX is ZZZX
Get to know a ZZZX: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=58733
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:07 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

i havent gotten banned for my language (terrible) or tact (non-existent) yet

i suspect youll be fine
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:33 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 12, TheButtonmen wrote:i havent gotten banned for my language (terrible) or tact (non-existent) yet

i suspect youll be fine
Yeah I've only picked up bans three times: twice in a discussion thread while arguing with Zoneace, and once for following another player into a post game that I wasn't even in just to yell at them and call their mother a crackwhore. A bit over the line to be sure. *shrug* sometimes I have bad days. I was especially mean on the forums from mid 2012 - early 2013 when my marriage was on the rocks.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:44 am

Post by Papa Zito »

In post 13, kuribo wrote:
In post 12, TheButtonmen wrote:i havent gotten banned for my language (terrible) or tact (non-existent) yet

i suspect youll be fine
Yeah I've only picked up bans three times: twice in a discussion thread while arguing with ZONEFACE, and once for following another player into a post game that I wasn't even in just to yell at them and call their mother a crackwhore. A bit over the line to be sure. *shrug* sometimes I have bad days. I was especially mean on the forums from mid 2012 - early 2013 when my marriage was on the rocks.
for the fact, yes
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Post by Accountant »

A lot of this boils down to subjective judgement and therefore you'll always be unhappy unless the mod team is all clones of you
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Post by ironstove »

It is subjective, but with that acknowledgement, there should be an appeals process, which doesn't currently exist. I'm not so sensitive to insults having been a regular poster and reader of some of the most degenerate boards on the internet, so I would probably never report a person, but at this point I might just start reporting everything I can find reportable just out of principle to show how the current system has issues which need to be addressed.

I know this is a moderately small community in which most people know one another, so I have to say that people need to show a little more leniency and humanity because of that.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 15, Accountant wrote:A lot of this boils down to subjective judgement and therefore you'll always be unhappy unless the mod team is all clones of you
Being surrounded by clones of yourself, unable to interact with any other individual ever. Oh the horror, THE HORROR :P
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Post by Davsto »

In post 16, ironstove wrote:I might just start reporting everything I can find reportable just out of principle to show how the current system has issues which need to be addressed.
Please don't, it's just being a dick to the mods if you make them wade through a ridiculous number of phony complaints in your little temper tantrum.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

no comment
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:30 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 16, ironstove wrote:at this point I might just start reporting everything I can find reportable just out of principle to show how the current system has issues which need to be addressed.
You will get banned if you do this, though.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:03 am

Post by ironstove »

I'm not saying I would make fake reports I mean everything that I think violates the rules can be reported due to the vagueness.

Using any type of name calling is reportable is it not?

All I was asking for was more specifics on bans and rules because mods seem to be given too much free reign
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:15 am

Post by Davsto »

honestly overly specific rules often end up being worse for sites

partially because you end up with a ridiculous amount of rules (and an equally ridiculous number of people requesting that certain rules be added when they're not there)
partially because you get things which obviously justify a ban but aren't in the rule set and so you get people whining about being banned because it technically isn't against the rules and generally just pushing loopholes and rules lawyering

when really a vague (but clear enough) set of rules is all you need as 99% of us are functioning humans who are capable of figuring out where a line is and not crossing it, without needing a guardian telling us each and every thing we can't do
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:12 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

In post 2, ironstove wrote:I want to build a good reputation on this website and it's very difficult when moderators and admins refuse to communicate when I reach out to them, and show 0 leniency when I make the case that things were a misunderstanding and won't happen again.
well youre certainly building a reputation
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:13 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

i mean its that of a whiny cry baby who cant just take their slap on the wrists and move on but hey its a reputation

Return to “Mafia Discussion”