Can we have rule on "political slur"?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Can we have rule on "political slur"?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:55 am

Post by Realeo »

We reject the use of sexist, racist, or autistic slur.

But how about political slur?
Hey Realeo! Can't you just use common sense? Is it hate speech? If hate speech, then no?

Here's the problem. Unlike sexist, racist, or autistic slur, our common sense does not overlap in politic.

Let me gives me an example.

People in America and Europe considers Hitler is taboo. Well, not for Asia. We don't consider Hitler as "radical hate speech". Some people has no problem using swastika. Most people when seeing other uses swastika may go "Ooooh.. Bold choice," but done.

I personally find saying "You realize that your argumentation for A is scum, is like the argumentation that Hitler used," is acceptable as long as the comment creator believes that his argument indeed similiar to the argument that Hitler used. So it's not
ad hom
attack. It's attacking the argument. When I say your argument is like Hitler', it's an implicit way of saying 'Dude. You are going to a fallacy that Hitler went. I don't want to explain what is exactly the fallacy that Hitler went, but I hope that you get the message'.

Spoiler: A little bit of explanation of Hitler
As an explanation, Asia feels disconnected with Hitler is like American feels disconnected with soccer. We Asian simply don't know Hitler (Because it was not Hitler who invaded Asia, it was the Japanese.) You people, assuming too invested with American football, may not know soccer.

Mafiascum.net is a global online community. Can we have an explicit rule for this?
I can guarantee that it is not that obvious for us foreigner.
Last edited by Realeo on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

I'm mabye a serious player, but I'm capable of joke. Ok?
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:57 am

Post by Realeo »

If saying "Your argument is like Hitler," sounds weird, try replacing Hitler with Donald Trump or Dusterte or Robert Mugabe. It may make more senses.

And it may makes more senses why American find it offensive, but not us foreigner.
"The debate on whether short multi postings or a long wall of post is good or not is like a debate on gun control--we would never understand each other and we have to make peace with it." -Realeo

-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:15 am

Post by -Grey- »

You lashed out with intent to insult using content that was not related to the game in any way.

It doesn't matter what the content
was

It matters what it
wasn't

Hence my complaint that it was ogi.

OGI = outside game influence
Last edited by -Grey- on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
"You type like a Bond villain." - DogWatch
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:18 am

Post by Realeo »

The idea of outside game influence is like trust tell, not political news.

Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:19 am

Post by Realeo »

If everything that is outside the game is outside the game, then using Youtube video or meme would be an OGI.

-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:19 am

Post by -Grey- »

Calling me an idiot for having shit reads, I find acceptable personally.

Making inferences about my intellect based on things that have no relevance whatsoever to the game is not.
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:20 am

Post by Realeo »

Regardless of the actual case of me v -Grey- works, my case stands.
Can we have a rule to make it obvious?

Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:21 am

Post by Realeo »

In post 5, -Grey- wrote:Calling me an idiot for having shit reads, I find acceptable personally.

Making inferences about my intellect based on things that have no relevance whatsoever to the game is not.
You call my read a twisted narrative. I call Donald Trump.

-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:22 am

Post by -Grey- »

In post 4, Realeo wrote:If everything that is outside the game is outside the game, then using Youtube video or meme would be an OGI.
If YouTube videos and memes are being used to degrade, it's certainly actionable.
---
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:31 am

Post by Realeo »

But the problem is, we cannot agree on what is degrading due to a different culture.

For Indonesian, Donald Trump is a fine joke while maybe not for American (because it's a real issue). For American, Tiananmen Square joke maybe fine *cough* Trevor Noah *cough* while we find that very insulting.

Because we have different culture
, let us settle it for once and for all.

At this point I'm kinda interchangeably using the word joke and reference.

-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:40 am

Post by -Grey- »

Here's a good rule of thumb: If it's not part of the game, leave it out of the game.
---
Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:03 am

Post by Realeo »

So what is exactly my fault that you reported me? At this point, we becoming enemies makes more sense that a reportable fault?

The thing is that I used Trump reference quite some time (given my game sample size) and you're the first one to angry so I went, "Oh, this is a subjective call. Better makes it a rule?" But now it seems that it's a simple case of -Grey- being offended, but if you're being offended, why report it? Why not just confront me post-game?

Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:10 am

Post by Realeo »

At this point, I am not making violation. You're just issuing a restraining order.

Realeo
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Realeo
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:51 am

Post by Realeo »

I am going to be offline. Let me explain my confusion.

At first, I thought my action is inherently bad. However, learning from debating whether abortion is legal, I realized that I should define "what is inherently bad?"

The problem is we have a different meaning of what is "inherently bad" so we have to play by the house's rule which is why I make this thread.

However, from you implied OOG is ok as long as it's not offending. However, in you're moving the goal and say anything that is OOG is bad.

With that goal moving, it becomes obvious that this is not a problem of an ambiguous justice system, it's a problem of retaliation.

But we're consenting adult. If you want retaliation, you can confront me post-game. I thought confronting the guy that annoys you is a universal knowledge.

-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:02 am

Post by -Grey- »

Or, I can just avoid you.

Seems a better option.

Bye.
---
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Post by T S O »

I think the vast majority of players won't mind you saying what you said, Realeo.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:00 am

Post by kuribo »

good fucking lord

you people make me glad i don't play anymore because you'd be left crying over my words
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:03 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 2, -Grey- wrote:Hence my complaint that it was ogi.

OGI = outside game influence

that is stretching the definition of OGI so thin as to make it useless

that's like saying it's outside of game influence if you say you're posting less because of having a shitty day at work

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:06 am

Post by kuribo »

Also the fact that you ACTUALLY REPORTED HIM for "out of game influence" over that makes me think you're completely unreliable as a player, and reporting people in bad faith.

I personally wouldn't have a bad-faith reporter in any game that I modded. It's too much fucking headache to deal with that.

"Out of game influence"

man, get the hell out of here. And I will too because I'm actually getting more pissed the longer I stay in this shit thread.

Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:12 am

Post by Papa Zito »

This is complete nonsense.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
All Alone
All Alone
Goon
All Alone
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Post by All Alone »

I don't think political slurs are going to be banned from a game named after a political slur
dear princess celestia, sometimes it can be hard for a shy pony like me to stand up for myself, and when i first tried it, i didn't like the pony i became. but i've learned that standing up for yourself isn't the same as changing who you are. now i know how to put my hoof down without being unpleasant or mean
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Post by borkjerfkin »

outside of game influcence = things that may either bleed into the game from outside that can't be vetted (like out of game communication about the game) or things that bleed out of the game that can affect it (like a wager on the game, which may cause a person to play in a way that is not entirely commensurate with their wincon)

what you experienced was off topic conversation
at worst
, or really in this case probably just a non-sequitur, which is neither of these
In post 16, kuribo wrote:good fucking lord
beefycheese
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Post by Psyche »

i cant understand what this thread is about
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Post by Accountant »

Take this nonsense to PMs
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Post by -Grey- »

In post 22, Psyche wrote:i cant understand what this thread is about
OP was being a flaming douchebag in a way that had absolutely nothing to do with the game and instead of having a modicum of decency and apologizing, decided to split hairs on how his douchebaggery was somehow OK because I *gasp* didn't use 100% accurate wording.

None of this shit changes the fact that Realeo violated the game rules. He can illustrate his stupidity in this thread for the next millennia, for all I care.
---

Return to “Mafia Discussion”