Can we have rule on "political slur"?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:14 am

Post by -Grey- »

I love how you keep ignoring 1458 and only refer to 1457 as your example, btw.
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
"You type like a Bond villain." - DogWatch
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:15 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

I never said I have zero objections to those posts. I would not have made those posts. However, I would not have reported them either and I can see why someone would think they were ok.

If you were serious about the muslim thing, that looks clearly over the line to me. What real said was not clearly over the line imo.

But the fact that we're having this discussion proves realeo's point that this stuff should be more clearly laid out. I don't think what realeo said was bigoted, and you do. There needs to be a line so people know what is and is not ok.

PEdit: what accountant said in
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:15 am

Post by -Grey- »

In post 74, Accountant wrote:The generalizations are different in the level of loadedness and bigotry that they represent and the context is widlly different.
The only difference in context is the recipient.

Negative remarks and blind assumptions about a person's politics are just as offensive as negative remarks and blind assumptions about their religion.
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:16 am

Post by -Grey- »

In post 76, Infinity 324 wrote:PEdit: what accountant said in 74
What I said in 77.
---
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:25 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 77, -Grey- wrote:Negative remarks and blind assumptions about a person's politics are just as offensive as negative remarks and blind assumptions about their religion.
I disagree here. I generally find "political discrimination" doesn't tend to offend people as much because it's usually less central to a person's identity than race or religion.

Not only that, "your logic is bad" =///= "you're a terrorist"
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:27 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Can't emphasize this enough, the fact that we're having this debate shows the need for a clearer line. That's realeo's point and my point.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:28 am

Post by Accountant »

The point that sways me is what the substance of the negative remarks is. In the first case, Realeo was implying that Republicans have dubious explanations for their ideas. This is, while inappropriate for a mafia game, not reportable. In the second case, you are implying that Muslims actively demonize and mistreat people who are not Muslim or who disagree with them. This is a level of insult that goes above and beyond saying that their logic is dubious, and therefore to consider the two equal is strawmannish.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:29 am

Post by Accountant »

Regarding the original debate, I feel that Grey's point is correct. "Don't be a dick" and moderator judgement is more than sufficient for mafia games. If the line is not clear, simply take steps to ensure that you're very far away from the general vincinity of the line, like I do.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:31 am

Post by -Grey- »

In post 79, Infinity 324 wrote:
In post 77, -Grey- wrote:Negative remarks and blind assumptions about a person's politics are just as offensive as negative remarks and blind assumptions about their religion.
I disagree here. I generally find "political discrimination" doesn't tend to offend people as much because it's usually less central to a person's identity than race or religion.

Given the zealotry in politics, you cannot honestly believe this to be true.

Why was Abraham Lincoln killed, again?

Martin Luther King, Jr... why was he assassinated?

Ronald Reagan, why was he shot? JFK?

Oh fuck it, just read https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... oliticians

Don't tell me people don't take politics as serious as religion.
---
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:33 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 81, Accountant wrote:The point that sways me is what the substance of the negative remarks is. In the first case, Realeo was implying that Republicans have dubious explanations for their ideas. This is, while inappropriate for a mafia game, not reportable. In the second case, you are implying that Muslims actively demonize and mistreat people who are not Muslim or who disagree with them. This is a level of insult that goes above and beyond saying that their logic is dubious, and therefore to consider the two equal is strawmannish.
I feel also like the bigotry is a step above due to the level of misrepresentation of the victim category in question. Republicans not believing in global warming isn't a far fetched claim; their political candidate announced his belief in this. They would certainly contest that they do explain it, but this is at worst a quibble about how they go about pushing their claims onto others.

On the other hand, saying that Muslims demonize others is completely false and a blatant caricature of Muslims and the Islamic religion in general. That is nowhere near reality and can be construed as an inflammatory picture only used to mock Muslims, hence why it is worse.

-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:36 am

Post by -Grey- »

Not worse at all, Realeo was being just as dickish about Republicans.
---
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:38 am

Post by Accountant »

Well, I've laid out my arguments as to why I think Realeo's statements about Republicans aren't as dickish as your hypothetical post about Muslims.

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:38 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 83, -Grey- wrote:

Not what I meant

I wouldn't be as personally insulted if you insulted my politics as if you insulted my race. My race is more central to me and is literally part of me, whereas my politics is just one set of opinions I have. Of course politics is very divisive but it's less personal than race or religion.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:39 am

Post by -Grey- »

In post 87, Infinity 324 wrote:
In post 83, -Grey- wrote:

Not what I meant

I wouldn't be as personally insulted if you insulted my politics as if you insulted my race. My race is more central to me and is literally part of me, whereas my politics is just one set of opinions I have. Of course politics is very divisive but it's less personal than race or religion.
Not everything is about you!

You don't look at a statement and say, "well it doesn't offend me personally so nobody else has a right to be offended by it".

That's not how the world works.
---
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:42 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Do you find things that are physically part of you less personal to you than your opinions? If so, ok but that's not how most people work.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:43 am

Post by Accountant »

Religion is a physical part of you?

-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:45 am

Post by -Grey- »

In post 89, Infinity 324 wrote:Do you find things that are physically part of you less personal to you than your opinions? If so, ok but that's not how most people work.
Beliefs can be just as integral to a person's identity as their physical construct.

What you are born with, you cannot choose and thus have no control over and no point of pride in.

What you
support
is where your heart and soul lies.
---
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:49 am

Post by -Grey- »

Everyone who has ever martyred themselves (religion) or dived on a grenade (military) or otherwise sacrificed themselves placed their beliefs above their physical being.
---
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:50 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Good point
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:50 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Still, in my experience, people take less offense to generalizations about politics than generalizations about religion
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:53 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 59, -Grey- wrote:
In post 1457, Realeo wrote:Yeah. Speak like a true Republican.
In post 1458, Realeo wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the next thing you say is "Global warming is BS because politicians are twisting the shit out of what actually happened to spin a narrative."
THAT IS INDEFENSIBLE.

It's insulting but it's not out of game influence you disingenuous fuck, and the fact that you said you reported him for out of game influence is indefensible. Frankly, were I a skittle, I'd punish revenge-reporters anyway.

People like you make a fucking mockery of the reporting system. And honestly, if you think "Republican" is a slur, you've got some pretty soft fucking feelings. Grow the Fuck up and accept that mafia is a heated game and sometimes people let their emotions get the better of them. Or just keep whining about it, but for the love of all that is holy, stop abusing the fucking report system.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:55 am

Post by -Grey- »

Catch up or shut the fuck up kuribo.
---
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:56 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 28, -Grey- wrote:And even kuribo can't argue THAT.

And ants shouldn't presume to speak with gods, so don't be name dropping grown folks into your childish semantics.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:57 am

Post by -Grey- »

In post 51, -Grey- wrote:You CAN'T FUCKING DEAL with the fact that I pointed out how your bullshit was overall indefensible despite my original clumsy writing, SO YOUR RETURN TO SPLITTING HAIRS ON OLD CONTENT THAT IS NO LONGER RELEVANT
In post 57, -Grey- wrote:
In post 54, -Grey- wrote:not being a flaming douchebag towards others isn't a concept that should have to be rigorously defended.
In post 64, -Grey- wrote:Courtesy would have been to apologize.

Courtesy would have been to resolve the matter privately.

You only sought validation. You care nothing about courtesy.
---
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:57 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 96, -Grey- wrote:Catch up or shut the fuck up kuribo.

YOU CANT TELL ME TO SHUT UP THATS PERSONAL

REEEEEEEE

REEEEEEE

IM TELLING MOMMY

Return to “Mafia Discussion”