Charisma and Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:58 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

when to fakeclaim miller as scum.
only one correct answer
also your idea was good but with a focus on memes
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
BigYoshiFan
BigYoshiFan
He
Mafia Scum
BigYoshiFan
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:51 am

Post by BigYoshiFan »

In post 150, Randomnamechange wrote:when to fakeclaim miller as scum.
and you get lucky because a rolecop claims cop :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and sociopathy.
#sundevils #forksup
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 151, BigYoshiFan wrote:
In post 150, Randomnamechange wrote:when to fakeclaim miller as scum.
and you get lucky because a rolecop claims cop :wink:
FUUUUUUUCK
This just happened to me in another game
I'll link it
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:04 am

Post by Firebringer »

I still haven't wrote up what i wanted to talk about or even decide what i wanted to talk about.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:43 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

btw the correct answer is every game
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:49 am

Post by zMuffinMan »

charisma is the single most important thing any mafia player can have but one thing that i think isn't
necessarily
thought of as "charismatic" but is extremely important for charismatic people and something that you only really get with experience: knowing what you're talking about and not making bad arguments

if you're the kind of player who posts cases can be broken like a twig or the kind of player that doesn't at least
seem
like you know what you're talking about, then you'll never be given as much face as you think you should

an example of a player who encapsulates this would be thor (if he still even plays?) - thor isn't necessarily right and doesn't necessarily have the strongest arguments, but he will make it
damn hard
to poke holes in his cases

i guess, in essence, a lack of things to attack makes you at least seem like a stronger player and that ties in with charisma
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:06 am

Post by nancy »

Zmuff exists!?!?!
:2017-2018:
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:11 am

Post by Firebringer »

I wanted to post here to let people know i am reviving this and have things i still want to talk about and maybe will go back to talk about previous things i said if i disagreed/had more to say.

Things I wanted to still talk about is:
How to build a bond with someone
How to be more effective in the words you use
And more.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Okay the topic on charisma I am covering today is to place yourselves in someones shoes. This will help you get an idea of who a person is. How to read them better. What kinds of arguments you need for that person to convince them which will be a big focus for people who want to be more charismatic in general.

So I am going to cover this in a big way by covering getting baseline understanding, the two general types of players, predicting behaviors, and finally how to formulate arguments to better convince people once you get all that.

Let us get started with the baseline. The baseline of a player is what you use to get a basic idea of what a player is at a neutral point. This is things like temperament, posting style, and thinking patterns. For general sake these can often relate to one or the other for instance a person who is very temperamental might swing wildly in posting style versus someone who is less temperamental. People act differently based on situations. I for instance am often a shit poster but might be compelled to write a detailed post every now and then that tries to articulate lots of thoughts into a post like this one. The baseline gets you a good grounding in what is not something that you should focus on when deciphering reads but what can help you with knowing how a player should be behaving all else being the same.

The thing with this baseline, is you should also be gathering answers to questions about the player that help you inform you of playstyle and thought patterns. You shouldn't just gather prejudgements of what you observe without questioning any of it. This means continual observations and inquiry into it. Questions you will want to ask include: What is their philosophy on mafia? How do they think each alignment should be played? How do they think most people play each alignment? Each of those questions gives you lots of information into their mindset and how they play/want to play the game. If they say Scum play like X. That is how they view their own play of scum. Same with town. These are projections of their thoughts onto others. If you don't know how a person would answer these questions. You missed a step for getting a grasp of how a player thinks which will get you to make more missteps a long the path to convincing people.

Once you think you have that down. You are overall gonna want a idea of how a player operates on a scale of emotionality vs analytical mindset. Now there are many other ways to make a dichotomy of players on things but I think this is the most important one because it speaks to much stronger value of how a player is operating under when considering arguments. Now I think no one player is completely one of these, its more of a scale/spectrum than anything, each is used from time to time for people but every player favors one over the other. I consider myself on the emotionality (tone reading) side. What a player does with this is search through what a player is doing on an either analytical mind of how their actions contribute to a goal or how their emotions match up to what they are saying. A basic rule of thumb (not always accurate) is read through a players posts and see if a person is saying I think or I feel. The player that is saying "I think" more is usually more analytical than a person saying "I feel" more and vice versa for tonereading.

If you are trying to convince an analytical person that someone is scum you have to walk them through how a person actions reflects the goal in a way they can accept. If someone is emotional than you need to walk a person through how the emotions aren't matching up or make no sense in the position that player is in. Now I could go into the downsides/upsides for each of these approaches to reading players but this is more of just talking about how people are thinking not whether it is best. If people want to get a better grasp for each line of thinking I could go into that but trying to attempt one over the one you favor might help you get a better grasp.

Second to last, predicting behaviors. If you get all the things I said before about a player but hey, how do I know these are at all accurate. Well test them obviously. If you know how a person mind works you can predict certain behaviors to high degree and if you don't you won't predict it well enough. So the challenge now is to actually test the model of the person you made and then seeing how well the model fits and readjusting till you get it right. That means continual predictions of how a player responds to certain actions. You can do the test yourself or you can just watch and make a prediction. The patterns exist you just need to identify them and make sure you aren't fooling yourself into a false sense of security with your possibly misleading info. A person posted that X is scum. How will X respond? A poster made Y argument. How will X respond to Y? Leading wagon is on X. What will Y say about this?

Now all of this can be a lot of work. Maybe you read this and went. Tldr. That is fine. Take what you want that helps you better to get a grasp of a person. For me, I don't do enough predicting or understanding the actual philisophy of a player. These are my weaker points that make me less effective. If you get all these down though. You will know what sways a person. You will know what the person thinks and what arguments are best used at what time and how.
Show

Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

Hey,

Just a heads up that most of your posts on Charisma have been on the wiki for almost a year. I took the liberty to edit it for readability and mould it more in the shape of an article rather than episodic writings. As an example I put the creation of a baseline above likability. Ultimately, I have only been the editor and how you want to collect or group your writings in the future is up to you. LINK

Return to “Mafia Discussion”