Charisma and Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

I have to let my scumreads know how scummy they are though.
:(
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:35 pm

Post by Firebringer »

you can do that while being nice about it though!
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:39 pm

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

uh u were kinda mean to me in spring fever

but i did get back at you
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

☭ I'm coming for that toothbrush ☭
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:42 pm

Post by Firebringer »

i am not perfect, god you know how many problems would be solved if i was perfect?
like 2.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:44 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

I HAVE TO LET THEM KNOW THOUGH.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:45 pm

Post by Firebringer »

You can tell them with cute gifs.
Show

TheRealGin-N-Tonic
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
TheRealGin-N-Tonic
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Post by TheRealGin-N-Tonic »

CHEET YOU LYING SCUM GET OUT OF MY SIGHT
“To be is to do”—Socrates. “To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre. “Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
"Gin, you are so charismatic it's scary." -nancy
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 9:52 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

To be honest I treat my scumreads as being lesser than dirt. That is something I have been trying to improve on as I noticed after the vetted playerlist thread that everyone I had flamed eventually replaced out of the game although not immediately.

I see no reason to be nice to my scumreads though. I want them dead. I want them to cry at the sight of my posts. I simply don't want to be cruel about it. I'm a heartbreaker, not a monster.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 9:53 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

Buddying your scumreads is an interesting idea, but you also have to fake incompetence or they will probably kill you if you seem just barely competent to shift gears. I also feel like if you don't in some way hint or crumb what you're doing, it can bite you in the ass lategame when you do make the flop, unless the town universally thinks you're made of rainbows.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I tried a thing in the vein of buddying my scumread in Mini 1893
Then my buddy target was killed and I had to switch plans
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 7:46 am

Post by Ankamius »

One big tip I have for people:

Trying to brute force people to follow you a very easy way to create as much discord among town as possible, or if you're scum, to lose you as much influence as possible. Just don't do it.
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Post by camn »

In post 133, Lycanfire wrote:To be honest I treat my scumreads as being lesser than dirt.
Do you win many games this way? (no snark- I have no idea if you do or not.)
Like.. what happens when you are wrong? When your previous scumreads get proven innocent?
Are you like- "sry man fair play" right before you get mislynched in LYLO and then blame the loss on somebody else? (Again- no beef...I just imagine this is how it would go)

Also- everyone everywhere already thinks I'm made of rainbows....so that's no problem!
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 136, Ankamius wrote:One big tip I have for people:

Trying to brute force people to follow you a very easy way to create as much discord among town as possible, or if you're scum, to lose you as much influence as possible. Just don't do it.
This isn't necessarily true
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 12:50 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Camn I will be paranoid when and if you buddy me because of your love for betraying. :(
camn
camn
soundtracker
camn
soundtracker
soundtracker

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 4:34 pm

Post by camn »

If you are scum, you should be paranoid of me. :)
"if you weren't trying to be so unnecessarily mysterious all the time we wouldn't have these misunderstandings" - Yosarian2
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 7:39 pm

Post by Ankamius »

In post 138, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 136, Ankamius wrote:One big tip I have for people:

This isn't necessarily true
It's an extraordinarily thin line to go from using that tactic to lead people and just ruining your chances to have any influence entirely.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

When you don't have support it's important to make the scum worry about how they look in relation to your posts so they bury themselves trying to make you look bad.

Brute forcing town is generally not productive, let them get to figuring out your read is scum on their own!
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Post by Firebringer »

I decided that the topic of this week will be how to be likeable.
Which in general helps people listen to you and makes them less likely to scumread you, and less likely to see you as a liar.
Show

Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I liked being liked. I'm more interested in the 'getting them to listen to you' part than the 'less likely to scumread you' part, mostly because it's easy to be townie, hard to be listened to. (Although lately it's easier for peeps to listen to me, but I am interested in what you guys have to say about this in general)
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:31 am

Post by Firebringer »

Likability

The keys to being likable are connected with a few things, but the core of likability has to do with one person being able to see another other as a friend, family member, someone they can relate to. The most likable people in the world are the ones that you feel a connection too and have an understanding and positive uplifting spirit that you can walk away from.

So, starting with basic idea of reliability and projecting your humanity, how do you present that in a game like mafia?

Reliability is paramount for getting someone to see through your eyes and for you to see through their eyes. The idea being that if you can relate to another’s experiences/thoughts/idea you will make it easier for yourself to both read that player and get that player to understand and listen to you. The ways to do this is to first start at what you have in common. Ask them questions first, this can be anything. My favorite questions to ask someone is things going on in real life at the time, this first creates a topic that interests me because I like getting to know people and real life is easy branching point to seeing the person behind the screen, and then relating to them with any experience they may be having and empathizing. So, for example, you may have someone who is having a really horrible day and is just taking it out in your game and you can just ask them, “hey, is everything going alright in rl?”. Maybe they don’t want to talk about it but you can shift and talk about how that you are open to talk or say something about how you feel similar with frustration in some regard, continue on that conversation if they open up to being able to understand their POV. I can’t state enough how understanding someone elses point of view is CRITICAL. Taking an interest in others and trying to really get them will go a long way when they are trying to read or understand you.

Reliability can go further than just taking an interest in a person, because sometimes as stated before, the person just doesn’t want to get personal in the game. So, to bridge that gap, you may have to talk about other topics that you can mutually talk about that is interesting to both of you. Maybe you had a past game that you could talk about, maybe you both have anime avatars and you two can talk about that, maybe they mentioned a movie and you can talk about that a lot of posts contain something where you can see a new place to take the conversation. This is great for starting and building a good rapport and maybe allowing you to engage in some banter. (both topics to be covered another time).

This can be hard for a lot of players, because they feel its offtopic and unrelated to the game, and yeah they are a bit. However, building these interactions and forming bonds with players is a key part of games. Too many players get focused in the game on just the central point of it all when that isn’t how life and people work. Games can be EXCRUCIATING. You may never want to open the thread and yet you do and you continue on, why continue playing a game that is unpleasant? Why not turn it enjoyable? Is a conversation unpleasant? Shift it. In the immortal words of Don Draper “if you don’t like what is being said, change the conversation”. A likable person doesn’t change the conversation to avoid criticism, questions, or heat. They change the conversation because the tone of the game has shifted away from being fun and playful to heavy and dreary. A lighthearted person who can play the game but not in a serious fashion can be a powerful thing that motivates others and turns a game that is annoying/depressing/frustrating into an enjoyable experience. Mafia can be a fun experience when you realize the absurdity in it, and when you embrace it but not treat it as though its life or death, when you can scumhunt without being negative, when you can enjoy the small things in the game like a particular post without making someone feel like shit for posting it, or just enjoy the enjoyable aspects of the game.

Some people to be likable will go out of their way to compliment and be cheerful, while this is generally good it can lead to problems. Some people will see you as fake if you are always positive, or they will see you as a kiss ass if you are just always complimenting. This is where you should be more genuine in what you say, don’t compliment people just to say it, say what you think. The more genuine it is, the better it will be. This is a change in mindset that might be difficult to achieve and this is why I always suggest trying to post in mafia when you are in a good state to be playing.

Don't go in the opposite way either, don't blow up and start going ballistic in a game to express how you feel. Find a different outlet then the game to get your feelings out, but don't hide it from the game either. Tell everyone you are upset, explain why you are upset, in a controlled fashion. You want to make sure people see you as human not a crazy person.

In summary of all this, you want to make sure when you are presenting yourself and trying to make yourself likable that you present yourself as a person that is real, and that you are positive in general. This can be a balancing act as sometimes you may supplant realness to be a bit more positive but still letting people know that you aren't up to par, at other times you may very negative just to show people that their is someone behind the screen. The approach and balance you might have to find on your own. Just remember to think of others and try to add to the game and make it enjoyable for others and yourself and you will win hearts and minds.
Show

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Hmmmm topic dead I guess
Show

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I mean people read it they just don't post
At least I hope so
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
BigYoshiFan
BigYoshiFan
He
Mafia Scum
BigYoshiFan
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:08 pm

Post by BigYoshiFan »

I appreciate this thread and what it stands for. :]
There's a fine line between genius and sociopathy.
#sundevils #forksup
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:34 am

Post by Firebringer »

i kind of want people to choose their own topic for me to discuss.
I kind of want to also go back to my previous topics and see if I can improve them a bit (I am one of those people who does posts in one try and then posts them)

Ummmmmm topic for this week is still undecided.

Maybe this coming topic will talk about comedy and its persuasion ability and how to use and when to use humor in a game?
Show

Return to “Mafia Discussion”