activity level is not a reliable scumtell

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Post by Infinity 324 »

In post 20, kuribo wrote:
In post 12, Infinity 324 wrote:easier to lose motivation as scum.

unless you prefer being scum

being town is the worst
I prefer being scum until it's d3 and I don't give a shit anymore
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Post by Psyche »

I've done repeated studies on this. Both the average number of words per post and the average number of posts per game are
identical
across alliance in games on mafiascum.net. In fact, I segmented games and game Days by their amount of completion and confirmed across each and every one of those segments that the average number of words per post and the average number of posts per game are
identical
across alliance in games on mafiascum.net.

Let me be really clear. On average, scum post just as often as town do. They use as many words as town do. This isn't just true at the start of games, but in the middle, and near the end of games, too. Don't use activity as a scumtell unless you have a really special reason! I will find you and berate you.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Post by Psyche »

In post 12, Infinity 324 wrote:Very high activity and effort (and this part is important) over the course of the game is a towntell because it's easier to lose motivation as scum. Otherwise I generally agree.
WRONG
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:59 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In my experience that is not true Psyche.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Post by Psyche »

do whatever you want with ur experience i guess
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Post by Vijarada »

psyche's (presumably) actual data should probably override your anecdotal data.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:44 am

Post by kuribo »

Shit tells and shitty site meta and shit PoE "confirms and clears" are why being town on this site is as much fun as trying to find a parking spot at the beach on Memorial Day.

And if you think about it, isn't that the point? Parking. And driving. And shopping. And eating. And working. Somewhere, somehow, they're different now, none of 'em are the same, they all got chewed up and spit back out, and they don't taste like living anymore! Don't you see what it's like in this deranged Waring Blender of a world?! Every day is an agonizing ordeal, like balancing a pot of scalding water on your head while people whip your legs and butt … Aaaah, you never forget your senior prom … YOU think I'm "sick"?! Well the only disease I've got is "Modern Life," a schnutbusting gauntlet of inefficiency and misery that's one long parade of let-downs, put-downs, trickle downs, shutouts, freeze outs, sell-outs, numbnuts, nincompoops and nimrods, all making every day as much fun as waxing a flaming Pontiac with your tongue, where even if you do luck into the possibility of some fleeting pleasure, like, say, if some nymphomaniac telephone operator with the muscle control of Romanian mat-slappers agree to a little strip air hockey, it'll be over before it starts 'cuz some vowel-lacking, feta-reeking cab-jockey slams his checker up your hatchback and the cab is owned by some pinata spanker from a Santeria cult in Xoacalpa who starts shaking chicken bones at you and gives you a boil on your neck so big all it needs is Michael Jordan's autograph to make it complete, and even with all this, with ALL THIS, I still drag my sorry butt off the Sealy every morning and stick my face in the reaping machine for one more day, knowing when it's time to flash the cosmic card key at those Pearly Gates, I won't be in the coffin anyway 'cuz some underhanded undertaker sold my heart, pancreas and other assorted Good 'N' Plenty to that same Santeria cult! So does ANYBODY really wonder why ANYBODY is hanging onto sanity by the atoms on the tips of their fingernails while life dirty-dances on their digits?! And is it really any wonder that I seem DERANGED???!!
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:50 am

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

In post 31, kuribo wrote:Shit tells and shitty site meta and shit PoE "confirms and clears" are why being town on this site is as much fun as trying to find a parking spot at the beach on Memorial Day.
I think I'm going to sig this :lol:
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:54 am

In post 30, Vijarada wrote:psyche's (presumably) actual data should probably override your anecdotal data.
If he provides sources and more detail I can do something with that.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:27 am

Post by Papa Zito »

In post 5, Nahdia wrote:here's a tip. the only way activity level is ever ever ever alignment indicative is if you have an established, reliable meta of that specific player across many games. otherwise it's a useless thing to chase. there are a billion reasons a player is or isn't active. their alignment may be one of them, but you have literally no way of knowing unless there's an established pattern having to do with THAT ONE PLAYER.
lolmeta
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:39 am

Post by Gammagooey »

In post 34, Papa Zito wrote:
In post 5, Nahdia wrote:here's a tip. the only way activity level is ever ever ever alignment indicative is if you have an established, reliable meta of that specific player across many games. otherwise it's a useless thing to chase. there are a billion reasons a player is or isn't active. their alignment may be one of them, but you have literally no way of knowing unless there's an established pattern having to do with THAT ONE PLAYER.
lolmeta
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:11 am

Post by Nahdia »

Meta is somewhat unreliable but it's better than trying to apply generalizations to the entire player base of the site
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:22 am

Post by implosion »

Activity in a vacuum is a horrible tell if it even qualifies as a tell.

Activity in context can be situationally useful; not just in the context of a player's meta, but in the context of the game being played. If scum are stomping a game and Player X is in the game and has a history of losing motivation in games that they're losing but they are still actively trying to lead discussion that may tell you something. If the game's activity as a whole is stalling and scum might be content to just let it stagnate to death, and Player Y starts actively trying to engage specific players, that may be useful information.

Honestly the context of the game is probably more important than the context of the player's meta here.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:17 am

Post by McMenno »

prodge
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:05 am

Post by Firebringer »

i think overall scum might post as many words, but they post less frequently than town. Especially from the latest site meta.
Last 10 games, there has been maybe 4-5 active scum players total. And by active I mean they are in the top 30% of posters in the game they are in.

Not all scum lurk, but most people who play scum on this site do lurk as scum.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:09 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 11, mhsmith0 wrote:On a more serious note, very high activity is USUALLY a town-tell, especially if said person is doing a bunch of stuff in a non-wolfy way. Beyond that, town or scum can very easily be medium to essentially zero activity, and as someone who's gotten pressured repeatedly (as town!) for "why isn't smith obvtown yet" and "why isn't smith tryharding yet" I have some symphathy to this.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:09 am

In like my last 15 games, besides Watchmen, the only time scum has been in the top echelon of posters has been when it was me.

Hell, I was the highest poster on my team in Civ and I replaced in day 5 or something.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:10 am

Post by Psyche »

nah on average scum make about the same number of posts as town, and their posts have about as many words
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:12 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 42, Psyche wrote:nah on average scum make about the same number of posts as town, and their posts have about as many words
I guess I should say "frequency"? Like maybe scum does a burst of posts to make it look like they are more active than they are, where as a town would be consistently posting around same each day more likely.

I feel like I am moving goal posts, but I really feel there is a difference.
Show

Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:27 am

Post by Psyche »

i didnt think it was worth making a big thread about because no one seemed to believe activity related with alliance anyway
but one of these days i'll do the study again and post a bunch of figures and data showing it
there are some analyses i missed, but if town are more likely to be in the top echelon of posters than scum (controlling for the fact that there are fewer scum), that would mean that town are also more likely to be in the bottom echelon, since on average they post the equal amounts
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:44 am

Post by chamber »

That isn't inherently surprising as a possibility? One scum strategy is blending in, you'd expect them to be bad at imitating extremes.
Taking a break from the site.
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:32 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

Might also have to do with town replacing out more when they are busy and scum feeling less responsibility or strategically lurking sometimes.
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:33 am

Post by Psyche »

Maybe it wouldn't be inherently surprising, but I'd bet it's not true.

Anyway, I have some notes in my old code from the last time I did the study. The average
number of words per post
for town was 92.1811146348 with a standard deviation of 111.317352433. For scum it was 94.0915514783 with a stdev of 117.928753607. And these numbers might just be D1 stats.

Can't find numbers for average number of posts.
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:49 am

Post by Killthestory »

when you pressure, you should consciously expect a certain reaction for scum and for town within a broad expanse. If you're just pressuring to get any reaction, you're not only fucking doing nothing, but you also look like an idiot for calling literally any reaction scummy.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:23 am

Post by chamber »

In post 47, Psyche wrote:Maybe it wouldn't be inherently surprising, but I'd bet it's not true.

Anyway, I have some notes in my old code from the last time I did the study. The average
number of words per post
for town was 92.1811146348 with a standard deviation of 111.317352433. For scum it was 94.0915514783 with a stdev of 117.928753607. And these numbers might just be D1 stats.

Can't find numbers for average number of posts.
If I was going to guess when I expected activity to be most different, it would be around key moments. So things like claims by townies, beginning of days, beginning of the game.
Taking a break from the site.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”