LaS - Lynch all Shitposters / Lynch all Spammers?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 10:18 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

In post 24, Creature wrote:The good thing about shitposting is because a shitpost is a tiny post while a non-shitpost is a somewhat lenghty post, so it's not that hard to find a non-shitpost post.
^shitpost

no wait...it's not
balance among all things
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 24, Creature wrote:The good thing about shitposting is because a shitpost is a tiny post while a non-shitpost is a somewhat lenghty post, so it's not that hard to find a non-shitpost post.
That's not necessarily true.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

The problem with spam posting is it basically destroys a game if not everyone is posting around the same pace. Its like it a slower paced game where if someone only posts every few days they have low content and are lurking. When you have a group of people making twenty posts a day each, people who cant do that get lost in the shuffle which damages their ability to even play the game. You will have people with relatively little content as they post just a few times a day and people who have oversaturated the game with noise.

From my standpoint I have about four or five hours of access a day to MS after I get home from work. This time includes all mod stuff I have to do, cooking, cleaning, any other real life commitments, etc. If I come home from work and have to spend an hour reading to get caught up, it basically means that I am unable to play in a game unless I sacrifice a majority of my free time every day. I would 100% prefer to play in a game with people who makes about 10 content filled posts a week and nothing else than someone who makes 100 posts in a week, ten of which have good content.

What I have to wonder for those people who make the 20 posts in a day is if they actually realize/care that they are effectively pushing out what is at least a quarter of the game. In an environment where we have the abilities to avoid a player, a game type, hydras, etc in our games, its is REALLY frustrating to be unable to avoid a certain type of playstyle.

Its also hard to fight this with policy lynches or something to that level. It just doesn't happen. I can count on my hands how many lynches have been PURE policy that I have ever played. Those have also overwhelmingly been "This player is always super anti-town" policy lynches instead of anything else.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Narna
Narna
Mafia Scum
Narna
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Post by Narna »

Complaining about spamposting is more obnoxious than the spammers and shitposters. Considering this is mostly a large theme problem, I'd rather people not read the whole game, and work with what they read while online rather than bitch about how big the game is. These posts are easy to fake as scum and just bring people down. Too much posting is typically anti town, but whining isn't the solution. Threads like these and maybe mods putting stuff in the op about it might be a decent start.
Accountant has my back. Surely he'll free me.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 28, Narna wrote:Considering this is mostly a large theme problem
Its not. Just look at Open games. In games that started in 2012 (five years ago) 16 games hit 50+ posts for the entire year. The most pages was 94 (with one player making over a quarter of the posts). This year 13 of 14 games that have started and are finished hit 50+ pages with three cracking 100 pages. This is a site wide trend, its just gets worse the more players you have in a game.

Plus you are fully ignoring the argument that spam posting makes it next to impossible for people who have work, family, etc commitments to actually play games. I consider the "don't read the game" tactic not actually playing the game.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Gorkington
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Post by Gorkington »

the one thing i dont understand is people's perception of "lurking" becoming increasingly strict because of how stupidly active the most active people are.
someone posting 2-3 times every 24 hours is considered a lurker?
i replaced into a game recently and got to 250 posts after 2-3 cycles and was considered lurking by the standards of the game.
:/
trash
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Post by Firebringer »

I don't think there will ever be a game where a player isn't called a lurker at one point or another if they are at bottom of post by player list. Even if they still have high post count.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Gorkington
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Gorkington
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Post by Gorkington »

seems kind of silly to me.
trash
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

It's uhh a thing that happens.

Like me and FA are spammy but I even feel driven out sometimes by the current meta in games like Civ.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 32, Gorkington wrote:seems kind of silly to me.
It's just the context of situations change.
If players are having a long day thirty minute back and forth it's easy to go "hey where's X? Why aren't they here? Ohh must be lurking. Everyone else is active" when really the context is just that you and however many people are available to talk.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Time also feels like it's going by really slow if you are apart of the hyper activity.
You will be continually posting and keeping up and it will hit like 50 pages and you think "this game has been going on so long" when really it hasn't even been a full day
Show

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed May 10, 2017 5:00 am

Post by Creature »

Oh right, if you're in a game, don't use "this game is too long" as an excuse.
Sigh
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed May 10, 2017 6:35 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 22, drealmerz7 wrote:
In post 21, Ankamius wrote: Mafia nowadays is encouraging a meta where if you're not a spamposter, you're a lurker.
ummm, no

that's both an oversimplification and misrepresentation of a lot of things

anyway, it's pretty simple

if you don't want shitposters in your games, encourage the rest of the players to lynch them, those not interested in lynching the shitposters are more likely to be scum

if you don't want lurkers in your games, encourage the rest of the players to lynch them, those not interested in lynching the lurkers (D2 and beyond) are more likely to be scum

if you're encouraging lynching lurkers on D1 you're more likely scum
I don't think you actually understand what I'm talking about.

I've been called out for lurking when I'm posting once every couple days. That's fine because I basically am lurking.
I've also been called out for lurking when I'm posting 5-10 times a day. This is absolutely insane. I'm active in the game, but I'm 'lurking' because I'm not spending hours upon hours just posting nonstop in the game.
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed May 10, 2017 6:36 am

Post by Ankamius »

And on a related note, I've had a couple games where I legitimately spend hours upon hours posting in a game and I've never felt as disgusted with myself in mafia.
Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Post by Socrates »

Ego to remind myself of this thread later.
KidAmn
KidAmn
Mafia Scum
KidAmn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Thu May 11, 2017 11:16 pm

Post by KidAmn »

I like sweet flavour but I hate how most of the people who play most of their Mafia in the Theme queues play Mafia. I'd rather make 150 posts of substance than 1000 posts that could have totally fitted into, say, 300 posts even before you strip out the shitposting. It's like... nobody can stop and think and look at 4-5 things in one post, they
have
to express every single mundane thought in it's own post

Which I fucking hate
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Walls are disgusting though.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Post by implosion »

IMO there's a happy medium between belching out every thought in its own post and compiling all thoughts from a 24-hour period of posts into one. Walls are often bad but sometimes have their place both in a logical sense and a rhetorical sense; logically it's useful to have all of the arguments for a single person being town or scum in one place, and rhetorically walls can be used to make an argument seem thought-out. They should certainly be used sparingly. Medium-sized posts (a paragraph or two about a read, or 1-2 quotes with responses, etc) are great though; they don't bog down the game and people aren't discouraged from reading them, but they have useful information in them and don't inflate post counts and so don't bog the game down in that direction.

Additionally, making 7 posts in a row is hardly more readable than a single wallpost but sometimes they're evils you have to pick between if you're a person with a constrained schedule, especially if you're in a different time zone from most of the game.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

IMO wallposting is the lesser evil if you have to post a lot, since the lower page count is more inviting to replacements.
Now to follow my own advice.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Post by drealmerz7 »

In post 41, Ranmaru wrote:Walls are disgusting though.
why though? because you don't like to read?
balance among all things
KidAmn
KidAmn
Mafia Scum
KidAmn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri May 12, 2017 10:45 pm

Post by KidAmn »

In post 41, Ranmaru wrote:Walls are disgusting though.
What's the difference between one wall post of 1000 words + quotes versus 6-7 posts of 150-200 words each though

One takes up 1/4 of a page vs 1/25th, and if you have 6-7 people making 6-7 posts each in the space of 3-4 hours, the game gets big af fast af and it creates more opportunity for lurking
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat May 13, 2017 4:57 am

Post by Ankamius »

I'd still prefer more posts to walls. The main issue is that people have long conversations about nothing all the time.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun May 14, 2017 6:45 am

Post by Ranmaru »

Walls kill town. Check Genesis Mafia. (I contributed to it) It just leads to skimming posts and you waste effort into something peoole won't read. If a person walls as a case then the victim has to reply as a wall. Then there will be a wall war. Then everyone has to scroll around that. I feel spam posting is the lesser evil here. I understand the issue, and feel people should not go too crazy, but there should be a balance. I try to seperate my posts if they are going to be big. I use spoiler tags, etc. Make it an easy read for people if you have to wall. Only wall if necessary. Walling also feels less about 1on1 conversation. Then if you see your name in there and have to reply? You have to take that one quote and separate it from the rest.
Last edited by Ranmaru on Sun May 14, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun May 14, 2017 6:49 am

Post by Creature »

If someone comes saying I must answer to the wall, I'll just comment on a few things of the wall and the rest I'll just discard as "painted as scummy".
Sigh
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun May 14, 2017 6:59 am

Post by Ranmaru »

Also, I do agree with implosion. If I have to take two quotes from the same person, I will do it in the same post. No more than 2-3 though. Now if you are super busy as fuck, I can understand the need to wall as a catchup and will grudgingly try to read the wall. But I won't wall in return and hope others around won't wall back either.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”