LaS - Lynch all Shitposters / Lynch all Spammers?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

LaS - Lynch all Shitposters / Lynch all Spammers?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 7:27 am

Post by davesaz »

I see a disturbing trend toward trying to reach "longest game" milestones, and unending shitposting.
Yes, this is a game and it should be fun, but should site meta shift toward a stricter standard?
As you can see from the thread title I'm not suggesting we make it a rule enforced by moderators.
Perhaps a wisdom of the crowd approach is better. If your noise to signal ratio is too high you're being antitown and deserve rope.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 7:31 am

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 8:46 am

Post by Lycanfire »

accept that theme park isn't mafia. if people don't want nice things, let them swim in what they make of it.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 8:49 am

Post by Creature »

If you wish to create a mafia game for just non-spammers, feel free to, though, remember there'll be less players to join.
Sigh
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 9:08 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Yeah this is a WOTC/M thing

I think the wiki even introduces WOTC as a way to cut down on policy lynches
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 9:10 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

That being said, the normal queue seems to be getting buffed in favor of town (someone more knowledgeable should comment on this) which could suggest WOTC/M isn't actually promoting good town play
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 9:16 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

large theme is the only area where it happens mainly.
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 9:17 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

although i agree that shitposting is a bit of an issue atm when people have ISOs that are 80% shitposts and have the highest post counts in the game.
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

wotc approach is better because i can usually tolerate it or get reads out of it or skim the game enough to not need it

i can understand why others might not though and i dont think it's a bad opinion to have
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

☭ I'm coming for that toothbrush ☭
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 12:54 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 5, Flubbernugget wrote:That being said, the normal queue seems to be getting buffed in favor of town (someone more knowledgeable should comment on this) which could suggest WOTC/M isn't actually promoting good town play
No, we're not. We're balancing games to the level of balance they should be at period--it's just that sitewide, people's expectations of balance are an absolute piece of shit so our normal games which have ACTUAL PROPER BALANCE are considered townsided because people have no fucking idea how scumsided the game of forum mafia inherently is. (See also: the many many many prior topics on the subject; literally ANY mountainous game where town's EV never is up to par with the setup in question.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 6, Randomnamechange wrote:large theme is the only area where it happens mainly.
Key word:
Mainly.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 6, Randomnamechange wrote:large theme is the only area where it happens mainly.
Its basically universal at this point. Just far more noticeable in large games where you can have ten people posting like that. Probably the biggest reason I don't play much anymore, its simply not fun.
Creature wrote:If you wish to create a mafia game for just non-spammers, feel free to, though, remember there'll be less players to join.
Im actually working on a game that basically punishes spam posting I hope to run by the end of the month(shameless plug)
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun May 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

I don't think such a policy for lynching would be feasible -- even players who do not spam presumably would prefer to win the game over attempting to lynch every player who posts too much.

That said, I agree with the general thought that people need to post less and say more. I check the site probably once a week for a game I might play in or replace into, but games are
so long
and/or argumentative that I rarely bother. My guess for the site change is the introduction of people posting on their phones, but who knows.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon May 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 0, davesaz wrote:I see a disturbing trend toward trying to reach "longest game" milestones, and unending shitposting.
Yes, this is a game and it should be fun, but should site meta shift toward a stricter standard?
As you can see from the thread title I'm not suggesting we make it a rule enforced by moderators.
Perhaps a wisdom of the crowd approach is better. If your noise to signal ratio is too high you're being antitown and deserve rope.
/against
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon May 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

No never must always have activity

Kidding aside I'd rather not lynch active posters. I also lean away from walling. I'd rather not get into a wall war either. I'd rather just be concise so people can easily see what I say in shorter posts, plus it seems neater. I would think a balance would be a better compromise. But don't expect me to clump everything into one whole post. It'll come in three instead.

Example:

Two cases
Reads

All in three posts.

Could do what Llama is doing though. Plus I feel it would be fun to play.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon May 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Post by davesaz »

My main beef is with people who post 10:1 spam to content ratio and have 5 page iso's. Ordinary content is fine with me.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

lurkers are a far more serious issue

STU - slaughter the useless
balance among all things
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 6:24 am

Post by Ankamius »

Lurkers are far more likely to lurk when games are being shat on.

Plus I've been called a lurker multiple times when I have >10 posts per real life day before. These days, it's hard not to be called one if you're not spam posting.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 6:45 am

Post by wgeurts »

In post 16, drealmerz7 wrote:lurkers are a far more serious issue

STU - slaughter the useless
Disagree, spamposters drown out voices. Lurkers can always return and be useful.

Spamposters also create lurkers, so there's that too.

Let's face it, most lurkers are doing so because they're overwhelmed or deprived of time, guess what contributes to this? If it's due to IRL stuff they should replace out. Game related things aren't as easily accepted as a reason to replace out though.
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 6:55 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

I see many more lurkers coasting through the game and getting to points in the game where there should be absolutely zero lurking and being given a "pass" for it than I do shitposters. I'm not saying shitposting isn't a problem, but I encounter it and issues stemming from it much less frequently than I do lurkers who are getting by by contributing diddlysquat and not giving enough content to generate good reads from. I can also at least generate some reads from ppl who shitpost whereas when someone isn't posting anything but the most vagues of reads and prod-dodges I've got nothing to go on, and that is more of a problem. I'm also not saying that shitposters don't cause apathy and cause other players to become more lurky than they would be, which I guess is why I ended my post with STU

STU envelopes many players - lurkers, shitposters, and crap players all, and on a D1, removing a shitposter or a known crap-player is much preferred to removing a lurker, so it's all really something to be taken on a case-by-case basis and a good town should police their game accordingly.

ie: "look, if you don't stop shitting up the thread we're just going to lynch you" or "if you don't start contributing more meaningful content, we're going to lynch you"

more games need more vigs!!!
balance among all things
zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 7:09 am

Post by zakk »

Lurkers are worse than spammers by far
permanently retired

see here for more info
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 8:09 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 19, drealmerz7 wrote:I see many more lurkers coasting through the game and getting to points in the game where there should be absolutely zero lurking and being given a "pass" for it than I do shitposters. I'm not saying shitposting isn't a problem, but I encounter it and issues stemming from it much less frequently than I do lurkers who are getting by by contributing diddlysquat and not giving enough content to generate good reads from. I can also at least generate some reads from ppl who shitpost whereas when someone isn't posting anything but the most vagues of reads and prod-dodges I've got nothing to go on, and that is more of a problem. I'm also not saying that shitposters don't cause apathy and cause other players to become more lurky than they would be, which I guess is why I ended my post with STU

STU envelopes many players - lurkers, shitposters, and crap players all, and on a D1, removing a shitposter or a known crap-player is much preferred to removing a lurker, so it's all really something to be taken on a case-by-case basis and a good town should police their game accordingly.

ie: "look, if you don't stop shitting up the thread we're just going to lynch you" or "if you don't start contributing more meaningful content, we're going to lynch you"

more games need more vigs!!!
Mafia nowadays is encouraging a meta where if you're not a spamposter, you're a lurker.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 8:23 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

In post 21, Ankamius wrote: Mafia nowadays is encouraging a meta where if you're not a spamposter, you're a lurker.
ummm, no

that's both an oversimplification and misrepresentation of a lot of things

anyway, it's pretty simple

if you don't want shitposters in your games, encourage the rest of the players to lynch them, those not interested in lynching the shitposters are more likely to be scum

if you don't want lurkers in your games, encourage the rest of the players to lynch them, those not interested in lynching the lurkers (D2 and beyond) are more likely to be scum

if you're encouraging lynching lurkers on D1 you're more likely scum
Last edited by drealmerz7 on Tue May 09, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
balance among all things
MarioManiac4
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
MarioManiac4
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 am

Post by MarioManiac4 »

can we do lynch all players yet
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue May 09, 2017 10:17 am

Post by Creature »

The good thing about shitposting is because a shitpost is a tiny post while a non-shitpost is a somewhat lenghty post, so it's not that hard to find a non-shitpost post.
Sigh

Return to “Mafia Discussion”