updated ops in endgame

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Here's what my OPs look like after a game is over. I generally aim to adopt a modding style that gives the players all the information they need, without being too much of an effort for the moderator to update; keeping that OP updated was simply a matter of an edit just after every phase started (and the endgame update was basically exactly the same thing that I'd do for a typical start-of-night update). Most notably, the "Alive" and "Dead" spoilers contain a complete list of flips between them. I keep the alive and dead lists spoilered all game so that the in-game and endgame formatting are consistent with each other (this also lets people start reading the game halfway through without being spoiled on how it progressed, if they want to).

There's no mod PT link in the OP directly, but it's easy enough to find (by clicking on the "endgame" link and scrolling down a couple of posts). Along similar lines, there's no point in linking day start posts (in most setups) because they're so close to the night start posts from the night before.

Incidentally, I'm not really convinced mastina's method for catching votecount errors would help. One very common votecount error is missing a vote altogether, and that would simply cause it to fail to be recorded in any of the five different cases. (The other common votecount error I make is accidentally treating a vote from player A on player B as a vote form player B on player A; I'm not sure that would work well either.) I used to use a semi-automated vote counter which would handle nearly all the steps in vote-counting (this is how it looked, and as can be seen it made even very large games pretty manageable); perhaps I'll have to try to get it working again some time. Notably, it made it impossible to record a vote "backwards" (you could manually override who a vote was on, but not who it was by), and also made it very hard to miss a vote (any bold text containing the word "vote" anywhere prompted the user of the counter to check the post and give an explicit meaning on whether it was a vote or not, unless it was sufficiently obvious who the vote was on that the counter could handle it itself).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:36 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 50, callforjudgement wrote:
Incidentally, I'm not really convinced mastina's method for catching votecount errors would help. One very common votecount error is missing a vote altogether, and that would simply cause it to fail to be recorded in any of the five different cases. (The other common votecount error I make is accidentally treating a vote from player A on player B as a vote form player B on player A; I'm not sure that would work well either.) I used to use a semi-automated vote counter which would handle nearly all the steps in vote-counting (this is how it looked, and as can be seen it made even very large games pretty manageable); perhaps I'll have to try to get it working again some time. Notably, it made it impossible to record a vote "backwards" (you could manually override who a vote was on, but not who it was by), and also made it very hard to miss a vote (any bold text containing the word "vote" anywhere prompted the user of the counter to check the post and give an explicit meaning on whether it was a vote or not, unless it was sufficiently obvious who the vote was on that the counter could handle it itself).
If you use Thesp's auto vote counter, you don't need to count votes at all. You let the counter do it for you and you can follow along the game with only the need to look for where the vote counter messes up, which happens relatively infrequently.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:27 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I don't believe it's right for a mod to require specific spellings of player names in vote counts. That means that votes have to be adjudicated manually in the (fairly common) case where the name used isn't exactly the same as the player's username, and isn't a known abbreviation that you've explicitly taught to the counter.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

Thesp's counter does a fairly good job parsing the most votes. A mod should be following along with the game anyway to catch any violations of the site/game rules, so votecount mistakes should already be readily known to the mod. The tool makes the VCs easier in terms of formatting, but doesn't negate the need to follow the game.
<(") | (")>
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 52, callforjudgement wrote:I don't believe it's right for a mod to require specific spellings of player names in vote counts. That means that votes have to be adjudicated manually in the (fairly common) case where the name used isn't exactly the same as the player's username, and isn't a known abbreviation that you've explicitly taught to the counter.
Thesp's vote counter did tend to get it right a lot of the time (Speaking on my own experience with it.) even if the player didn't get it exactly. I never required votes to be perfect. I generally ruled them valid when the intent was clear to me.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”