Theming a Game vs Rendering a Theme

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Theming a Game vs Rendering a Theme

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 5:20 am

Post by Varsoon »

I wasn't too keen on making a discussion topic, since it's really not something I feel like discussing hardcore--just a feeling that I've had. That said, this sort of discussion is something that probably deserves a thread rather than just a tucked away aside. I'm not really looking for advice, though if my observations do create a dialogue that's worthwhile for other players, perhaps that's for the best.

I'll stand by (most) the games I've made, and will definitely own up to the flaws in ones like SaGa and Bloodborne, but quality of the mafia game setup isn't quite what I want to discuss here--it just bums me out that themes are often not too heavily integrated into theme games. This doesn't mean it doesn't ever happen: mastin and fakegod make some really great setups and I've often pointed newer players to Borkjerfkin and Fakegod's large themes as great examples of making an enjoyable game of mafia that also does an effective job at rendering the theme. That said, the kind of game that I want to play is always even more off-kilter, though Fakegod's games are a great example of what a 'grounded' variant of what I want to do would look like.

One criticism that I often do see is that there's not enough clarity in mechanics, though I think an issue that I struggle with is that while mechanics of the game should make clear sense, what seems to make more sense to players are fairly standard roles/setups rather than a non-standard role written in clear-cut language. I've caught way less flak for just saying "You are a Doctor" than writing roles that say "Once per night, you may protect a player of your choice from being killed."

But, yeah, as much as I do get caught up in mechanics, I, ironically, want them to be less important than the rhetoric of the game and only exist as a means of rendering theme, if that makes sense? I think that's the main difference with me--I try to design my mechanics as a rendering of theme, then try to balance them from there, whereas I find most mods try to build a balanced game of Mafia and then apply theming as they go/after the fact.

I tend to get very wrapped up in the games I make, where I put tons and tons of effort into public mechanics and unique private roles and theming that it comes as bit of a slap in the face when I realize my design sensibilities are not reflective of what mostly gets run even in the same 'genre' of game on this site. It's not that this kind of theme game is bad--in fact, it's probably far closer to the sort of mafia game that most people are traditionally used to playing and want to play, but still. Is a theme just a coat of paint to slap onto your regular ole closed setup? I don't want it to be. Again, designing a fairly normal game and then theming it is not a bad thing, just not
my thing
, which can surprise me, because after running my things for the last few months, it's easy to go "Oh, this is what a theme game is, it's my thing!" but that's not true at all and in a way that kinda makes me feel bummed out. Like, I know people enjoy my games and like to play my games but I kinda wanna play my games too, y'know? And when push comes to shove, it's like, people don't really want to make my games or even conceptualize of theme games the way I do and while, at first, maybe I should feel shiny and novel and unique and smugly contrarian for doing something different, it's really that difference that I crave, and having to realize the world isn't like that and theme games aren't like that--it makes me feel really 'other' and small and as though what I do is dumb and contrary. It's as if I'm in a bubble and what I'm doing is isolated and, upon realizing that, I feel a bit isolated. I don't know. It bums me out, though.

TL;DR:
I tend to approach theme games with a mentality of identifying what's central to the theme and then rendering those aspects as mafia mechanics and then attempting to balance what comes out of that.
I find that most mods that design theme games (with some notable exceptions) prefer to design a closed setup first and foremost, then apply light theming secondarily.
I worry that my design sensibilities aren't reflected in the mafia community and often find myself disappointed with other theme games not just because they aren't designed in a similar way, but also because they make my efforts and time invested feel contrary to what most people envision as a theme game.

Thoughts? Discussion? Ideas?
Again, not really looking for constructive criticism here, as I like what I do and I want to continue to make Varsoon™ games. I just wanted to get a bit o this off my chest and offer a space where people can discuss their thoughts on theming and games.
Last edited by Varsoon on Mon May 29, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 5:36 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

Having attempted to make both kinds of referenced setups, I think part of it is that the mechanics of a grand-scale theme like your setups [or in my case, Baccano Mafia from forever ago] are incredibly difficult to fully realize and balance. We kind of stumbled upon that problem with Saga Frontier as you've mentioned, where it was difficult to see all of the different ways a setup like that can blow up in a bad way. I think for most people just creating an elaborate theme or an elaborate mechanic is a huge amount of work and doing both is possibly just too intimidating?

I like that there's explorations into both kinds of territories though. Games with elaborate flavour are fun to get caught up in and games with an interesting mechanic are fun to try and parse and figure out. Is probably preferable for the average player to only have to deal with one extreme end of the spectrum rather than both at once, yknow?
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 5:44 am

Post by Varsoon »

I think there's definitely a line to straddle and I tend to try to take it to the extreme in both cases. I want my theme game to represent the theme first and foremost--roles shouldn't feel like mafia roles, but they should embody characters or aspects of the theme, just rendered as mafia. I always want the theme to be transparent in all aspects of the design rather than secondary to the game of mafia, which tends to be at odds with designing (first a foremost) a game of mafia as most players see it.

Here's a few of the last games I've played or sat in for the design of/spectated:

Andrius' Darkest Dungeon Minitheme: This, I feel, is reflective of light theming at its best. The game itself is a fairly simple closed mafia setup with incredibly normal roles (for the most part), but the theming felt strong with imagery from the game, theme posts, and a somewhat curious public mechanic to play around.

Nahdia's Civilization Large Theme: Here's an example of something closer to the kind of game I want to make and what I want to play. As no surprise, I helped out on the setup-side of this, but the core mechanic was of Nahdia's design and I think renders Civilization's progression through the ages and construction of Wonders really well.

GuyInFreezer's Magical Girls Minitheme: This, I feel, is a pretty excellent rendition of theme while still being a cool mafia setup. That said, it certainly dips into the territory that I get into where the interesting theme mechanics are fairly non-normal and several players struggled with them at times due to that.

Wgeurts' Evolution Minitheme: Here's a really neat rendering of theme that I feel does err a bit on the side of being 'normal'. All of the roles are fairly standard roles and 'evolutions' of roles that are familiar to mafia players. While the theming fit well for a game of mafia and provided for interesting role growth, the actual game was fairly grounded and all of those aspects of theme translated into mechanics tended to focus more the the mechanics side rather than driving player rhetoric.
Last edited by Varsoon on Mon May 29, 2017 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 5:53 am

Post by Varsoon »

I feel like I hit a lot of paradoxes that don't always turn up great when executed:

I use heavy mechanics to render flavor/theme and in a hope to drive player involvement in the rhetorical game -- this sometimes turns out well, like in Steven Universe Mafia where alliances became a huge talking point and figuring out who to simultaneously trust and role-enable was a big part of the rhetoric of the game. Where this fell apart for me is in games like Bloodborne, where I had these neat PTs that players could get sucked into and all these cool mechanics to facilitate player paranoia, but the shop mechanic ended up being the focus of being mechanically gamed as hard as possible and the end-game was a mess.

I want players to be involved in the theme and I consider how best to render theme first in design, despite designing a game of mafia -- This tends to end up with my games being very atypical games of mafia. I think that it is in part that I feel regular closed setups to be kind of boring and also to be their own thing already--if I wanted to run a regular closed game, I'd just go pick one that's proven to be a good balance of roles and do it, but I don't want that. I feel like a theme game should deliver something more than that.

And, ultimately, I think this gets me to my design philosophy that is at odds with a lot of things: I feel that a theme game should be vastly different from a normal closed setup. I feel the appeal of a theme game is the theming rather than it just being a closed game, of which there are plenty of. However, many mods seem to just run closed setups and feel compelled to apply a theme, or want to run a theme and just end up running what's basically a normal closed game anyway.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 5:55 am

Post by Varsoon »

It's as if I'd been making pizzas my whole life Chicago style and, to me, that's what a pizza is. So, lo and behold, I order a pizza from a place and it's thin crust. I'm like "What! This isn't the dining experience I want!" only to come to realize that most the world thinks of pizza as that dining experience and I'm the odd one out.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 6:46 am

Post by Andrius »

Thanks for being critical with my game. It was definitely a watered-down Prologue to a game that will never see the queue because I just don't care to put that much effort into a game where the first one stalled and I have no fire.

Varsoon, you and Clumsy have raised the bar for any future games I run. It'll be hard to find a reviewer as great as you but you're one of the people I want to design for.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said - creating a setup and pasting theme on it is a turn-off for me.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 6:48 am

Post by Varsoon »

<3
I enjoyed playing in it--you definitely put in work to elevate it above what a lot of mods in the same queue do.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 6:50 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Everyone should mod more u-picks.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 6:51 am

Post by Andrius »

I know but "light theming" just makes me want to do better because that's not what I was going for.

You've kindled the fire.

pedit: I don't like half-assed upicks and I refuse to run one unless I can put the FIRE into it to really elevate it to the level of SaintKerrigan/AlmasterGM's Choose Your Side games. Anything short of that is a disservice to them as I was a player in both games.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 7:00 am

Post by Varsoon »

I really want to do a crazy u-pick with Legend of Five Rings, Magic the Gathering, Dark Souls, or Heroes of Might and Magic.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 7:23 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 7, RadiantCowbells wrote:Everyone should mod more u-picks.
I plan on modding more!
I LOVE uPicks!
All thanks to you!
GTKAS
| here.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 8:30 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 9, Varsoon wrote:Heroes of Might and Magic.
Heroes 3 mafia when
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 8:55 am

Post by Varsoon »

SOON™
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 10:48 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 10:52 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

TBH I think this is good, but you are definitely the baseline for those. You past 2 have both had great mechanics (the fusion in In Memory, bonds in Spring Fever) and you put a lot into the roles.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 11:29 am

Post by wgeurts »

Hey thanks for the shout-out!

I've not been all too reliable as a mod recently, but I've still got a lot of wild ideas running around. To me the theme queue is an opportunity to push the limits of what mafia allows, but I've found in particularly Pokémon Mafia is that I went too far. Evolution Mafia was an attempt at bringing something new, and interactive into the game whilst retaining the feel of balance and meta players are currently used to. I probably could have gone a lot further there, but would it have made the game better? Complexity can be fascinating, but there comes a point where we can make something too complex and lose sight of the whole.

That said, I dislike standard games with some flavour slapped on. Those could really be held in any queue, normal even if claiming names couldn't influence alignment views. The theme queue is a chance to adapt something and bring a taste of that to mafia, that's how I look at it at least.
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon May 29, 2017 11:31 am

Post by Ranmaru »

I want to mod U-picks with flavor.
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 3:28 am

Post by borkjerfkin »

i've pretty much lost interest in mafia, just saying hi :)
beefycheese
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 10:58 am

Post by mastina »

For my stance on the subject, I tend to think of modding in terms of a core idea: "This is what I want to build a mafia game for".
Most of the times, the things I want to build a core idea for are not things like an established game/book/film/etc. (Although, I kinda sorta want to vaguely run a Guardians of the Galaxy theme game at some point even though it'd be a "closed game first, theme game second" sort of deal; I vaguely want to run mafia games based off of some of my favorite computer games, like Zeus/Poseidon, Nemesis of the Roman Empire, Age of Empires/II/Mythology, and Majesty; Nemesis of the Roman Empire and Majesty I've actually already started loosely designing.)

So when the theme part of the game enters, it's secondary. I first build the idea. Then I build the aspects most necessary to support the idea. And when the idea is supported, then I fill out the remainder with what I need to finish the theme game.

This is actually not something central to theme games, either. When I run my Normals, I go in with a basic idea for the setup. I design roles which revolve around that idea. I don't have the flavor of a theme (most Normals I run nowadays are flavorless for my sanity), but I still have the flair of something unique and quirky, because the game was designed that way.

Spoiler: Gistou is perhaps the game most exemplifying this prospect in play
I first started with the basic idea. I had a dream, and I built the world up from the dream. I knew I wanted the game to feature three human factions loosely aligned together, three warring supernatural factions, and a fifth otherworldly eldritch abomination faction. From the basic idea, I started to simultaneously build the flavor of the world (a core aspect of my idea was writing something which had the Varsoonesque flavor vibe when Varsoon uses source material, to fool players into
thinking
I had a source material, so I began writing trivia to use for votecounts like Varsoon uses quotes), and also the mechanics.

The eldritch faction was meant to be an unknown, otherworldly abomination: supernatural power, but starting out as an unknown threat and slowly growing in scale and damage. This suited the idea of a cultafia/serial killer mechanic. I also knew that it is ridiculously easy to fuck up a cultafia and make it nigh-impossible for them to win or nigh-impossible for them to lose (especially the latter), so I needed to build in a limitation on their numbers (along with a limitation on just replacing lost numbers to always break even) while also affording them some protection from early elimination.

I quickly came up with the idea of seven races, and figured out the flavor justifications for them each. This was easy, as part of the original dream revolved around the conflict which helped create two of the races and exposed the other three to the wider world. Yet, I also had the sense to know it would be a REALLY bad idea to make all seven races and all factions be absolute...so I introduced variety.

Vampires/Nosferatu/Undead who were heroes, and multiple fakeclaims available per person in each faction. (Admittedly: I fucked up there and didn't quite give the scum what they needed. :shifty:) And I introduced an addendum to the core idea--nobody knowing who to trust, who they were allied with and who they were enemies with. I wanted players to figure out on their own who their enemies were and who their allies were, so I was deliberately vague on wincons. Each purely-town faction (human1, human2, human3, individual human/human 4, individual undead, individual vampire) had the same wording, but a different faction name; "You win when all threats to [their faction name] are eliminated".

Another pragmatic move I made, and this is where the blending of mechanic and flavor came in, was me making the mostly-town faction.
What I wanted was five factions: town, scum a, scum b, cultafia, and an extra faction.
Yet I couldn't reasonably expect that extra faction to be scum. It didn't seem right.
It also didn't feel like it made as much sense flavor-wise. (To be fair, the isolationists being scum was also a bit of a stretch since flavor-wise they're only in opposition to humanity out of a necessity to fight for survival. But I ultimately decided it was better to have them as scum than the undead as scum.) The undead were fighting mostly out of self-defense. The wulden were villains; the isolationists had ambitions of their own (albeit mostly altruistic ones: the goal I was going for there was sympathetic antagonists); the undead were just trying to survive.

So I made them be a pseudo-faction: possessing a neighborhood and a conversion like the mafia, with a trigger where they could
become
mafia, but otherwise being a modified survivor-town faction. And from there it was just a matter of expanding the design outward, giving each team its own little quirks.

The games I'm second-most-famous for would be the Hilariously-Unbalanced game series, and the name itself says it all:
I went in with the idea of not caring about balance. I just put in roles which I thought were neat, and let them interact with one another.

Hilariously Unbalanced Mafia 2 featured fairly prominently the mafia rock-paper-scissors mechanic in the form of three scumteams: dictator, fascist, and hippie, each immune to one's nightkill and vulnerable to the other. I threw in a red herring (quite literally) with the communist miller, and a number of contradictory roles similar to in the first game: multiple investigatives, multiple protectives, multiple vigs, and of course various millers. (Including a modified version of a role I really actually claimed in one game.)
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 11:41 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 17, borkjerfkin wrote:i've pretty much lost interest in mafia, just saying hi :)
b-but dat Dirge of Cerberus game
never ever, I s'pose
But I did really enjoy your large themes and you helped me a lot when I was getting started being a moderator.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 12:42 pm

Post by McMenno »

In post 9, Varsoon wrote:Magic the Gathering
chains of mephistoles
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue May 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Is a card that I've actually sideboarded against control decks before Modern was a format that existed.
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 1:48 am

Post by Bulbazak »

I feel the same way, Varsoon. I poured my heart and soul into Ikaruga Mafia, and it frustrated me to no end when the town in that game refused to make the most of the mechanic or even utilize their roles (Funnily enough, it's always the Mafia team that uses the theme to its fullest.). Lately, people have been asking for a sequel, but I don't have the time anymore, and I'm not sure I want to have my heart broken like that again.
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 7:47 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

I think I proved in my games where I want to make a game themed i will theme it to the very core and I won't stop at any thing (code geass)

I hate games where mods just add some references to theme when running normal games though running a really normal setup that is themed heavily is still possible!

That being said I think you need to define what you mean when you say balance when running a game. "Balance" as evryone get equal chance to win theoritially is impossible in most of themed games because of swing but still its possible to avoid game breaks and give a decent chance of winning to everyone. In my games or the games I reviewed I always tried to make sure no role will be screwed in a not controllable way - ever just because of bad luck and that the game is actually challenging for mafia (cause town job is fairly harder normally)
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed May 31, 2017 8:08 pm

Post by Varsoon »

With balance, I am usually looking to see that all role interactions work as intended and that no single role dominates/ruins the game. Both sides should be able to feasibly win with the tools they are given and neither side should have an unstoppable advantage at any point. I really detest games where, because of proper investigative role usage, the game becomes reduced to process of elimination within a small pool of candidates. Same thing goes for when scum have a false-positive and get to ride that to a victory that no one can stop due to the heavy reliance people have on non-bastard role results.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”