Mafia Game Posting Frequency Discussion

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
skirt skirt
skirt skirt
Mafia Scum
skirt skirt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1000 (ISO) » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Post by skirt skirt »

In post 999, acidphoenix wrote:i really don't care if you don't actually advocate for PLs in games

you are, here, advocating that people who really don't like a person's playstyle should pl them

even if you don't actually think anyone is worth pling you are still advocating for playstyle pls as a legitimate thing and i don't see how it's misrepresenting you to fight that position in this thread

especially when that was literally the position i entered the thread with, not attacking your position

edit: i don't think it's useful to fight this anymore
neither of us are going to change our positions and i'm not mad at this point other than the ad hominem
and this is a waste of both of our time

also, question: if there are actually enough people in the thread who dislike a person to PL them
how are there not enough people in the game to WOTC them
this is @ everyone
well, you said it immediately after I posted about policy lynches, I think assuming you were replying to me was fair...

but I didn't ever advocate for that, whatever. I'm done here. Congrats, you win the argument. Sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my point.
acidphoenix
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1001 (ISO) » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm

Post by acidphoenix »

In post 951, skirt skirt wrote:
Spoiler:
Question.

I do my best sorting through live interactions, does that mean you believe I have no place on ms?

By live interactions I mean speaking directly to people, real time, having back and forths, without giving them time to "think, compile thoughts, format". My logic is that it is much harder on scum to keep up to live debates than get a night or even a couple hours to think about a reply and possibly even confer with teammates. This is more true the less experienced a player is, but it is still true for all players to a degree. I also do it as scum, of course, because I need to match that part of what is sometimes my town meta sometimes, because I can keep up live, but the point is that it works. I keep up with site activity, so while I'll usually be one of the most active posters, I play on sites where people are very inactive and I keep pace, but honestly I believe more posts are better for town to a degree - eventually, there's too many and apathy plays a part and it becomes a net loss, but I think it is significantly easier to sort people over 90 pages than it is over 30. I also think I know why people disagree - a lot of people only focus on recent events, so if you had a strong scumread on me on page 28 but you town lean my content up to page 115, you'll leave me as a town lean, forgetting what made me a strong scumread in the first place. That's a major problem I see - people using scaling logic and weighting more recent interactions higher for no good reason.

Here's the thing: in this and that other thread (geriatric players club), I remember a discussion about taking time to reread your posts, make them more concise, etc. I remember the players being used as examples being luv, creature, and realeo. Luv only enjoys being scum and intentionally sabotages his town game to make his scum game better from what I've heard, so no comment on that, but I've never found his posting /volume/ to be a problem - note I can meta him anyways so I have no objection to his playstyle, no issues with him as a dude anyways, he used to basically policy scumread me but eh. Creature and realeo are the more interesting cases, because both are esl. I can agree, both have posting styles that can be very annoying, but I take issues with them being used as an example. Realeo likes to use BOLD and BIG FONTS and generally make walls that nobody wants to read, but I think that's a scum tactic and players' faults for not caring. Last time we played, I scumread him most of the game while not a single other player did, and back then I was much less experienced and didn't have the confidence to try and push someone I only mildly scumread that every other living player townread. I find his typing style annoying but posting frequency isn't an issue with him. Creature is a different case. Creature is extremely easy to meta and I don't mind playing with him, but yes, I can see how his playstyle can easily annoy people. 5-10 word posts, no expansion, no cases, nothing - plus 3+ posts in a row doing just that all the time. Again, I don't think that's posting frequency past a literal sense though, I think that's just his playstyle and you getting annoyed at it. Again, totally justified, but its not fair to call that site meta when I know he annoys a ton of high volume posters too.

So this post started about me not having a place on this site, and I'll expand on that. I can post in a post capped game, I can play with geriatric players, and I can also keep up with hyperposters and coming back from an 8 hour shift to 20 pages. I don't think your issue is posting frequency, I think its just a correlation between the current active playerbase and higher page count. Civ mafia was disgusting, sure, but that's not a regular occurrence, and I don't think mini normals (example) averaging 120 pages instead of 50 pages (guessed numbers, I'm probably off) is even necessarily a bad thing. Want to talk about what's wrong with the site in my opinion? The thought process that "wow! deadline is two weeks! gotta spend every last second of that until 24 hours before deadline sorting and anything sooner is quicklynching scum!", along with replacements. It is my belief deadline should NOT be a wincon, which is why I'm very happy deadline is long here as opposed to the other sites I play on (under a different identity) which are 48-72 hour days and 24-48 hour nights. I don't think scum lurking and town having busy irls among other things should be a wincon, I think there should be proper time for discourse and when you are ready you should be able to lynch. That does NOT mean days should go on for a year (love you firebringer <3), which I think is the balance a lot of people fail to grasp. Being ready to lynch after 72 hours is perfectly fine sometimes, that doesn't mean you're anti town or bad or scum for not wanting to wait a week and a half. People need to accept that. Tbh, if all players were active and you didn't have idle motherfuckers and chronic lurkers (hi yume sometimes and pere) stalling the game, I'd think that would be better. I don't want to call people out, but there's legitimately scum who intentionally prodge the entire game and let town self destruct because they CAN, because town lurks too and its become a meta where never posting is okay. The sad part? Games on here last months, and even individual day phases can last upwards of 2 weeks with replacements (next point) so committing time for that long can be tricky and I get that. Having long deadlines is a good thing, but even spending a week and then lynching is better than what I see so often now which is useless back and forth for another few days and sometimes a deadline lynch (which should NEVER happen in a game with two week long deadlines, civ mafia mafia just had a d1 no lynch due to deadline stall which is so pathetic). That's a major problem I have with ms.

Then the dreaded thing, replacements. Replacements are horrible. We have WAYYY too many replacements on this site. It's unfair to scum when town replaces, and realistically, its against the spirit of mafia. I can understand why they exist, emergencies happen, but I think that's what causes the issues you all seemingly have with the site nowadays, /not/ posting frequency. When there's a replacement, you need more time to engage with said replacement, games get extended both in time and posts. As scum its your job to manipulate the players in the game, not every person on site, so it is unfair for someone new to sub in on day 4. Every single replacement is another shot for a townie to get the game right, and as a replacement I'd argue you get objectively better reads because you can read the game BEFORE checking your role pm (helps a ton as scum subbing in more than town), and as town you get to read interactions with the person you replaced knowing they're 100% town which is basically like a free flip for you (helps a ton as town subbing in). I'd argue it is flat out against the spirit of mafia to have replacements, but of course they exist because people flake and having a literally dead slot is worse than boning a team a bit. People flaking so much, replacing, that's what's wrong with mafia. Yes, you could argue replacing is the effect of increased posting frequency, but I think that's bull.

Unrelated to a degree: I think mafia is a game where problems solve themselves if you let them. Guess what: you, collectively, as a playerlist, control close to virtually everything about the game. Random example: let's say close to everyone despises zoraster's play, but he hasn't done anything banworthy (against the rules). I introduce to you the magic of policy lynches! Is zoraster's posting style unbearable for the majority of the site and has zoraster refused to change it despite polite requests? Policy lynch him until he changes. Statistically for whatever reason, lynching mafia d1 apparently has a lower win rate than lynching town d1 (rb said that once, if its not true I apologize, cba to look), so it isn't even a huge disadvantage when zoraster happens to be town. Does creature's spamposting annoy 90% of players? PL him til he stops. Does most of the site consider me unbearable? PL me until I fix myself or get pissed and leave the site (still a net gain in this world). Does gerry or mulch or boon fake claiming piss off every player? PL them til they stop. Mafia is a game in YOUR hands, and policy lynches can help a ton. I don't think any person mentioned is even near PL worthy, other than momo I can't think of anyone who I personally think is, but I know I'm in the minority of lots of things so I'm sure lots of you disagree. My point is that this is a problem that can correct itself if you let it. Policy lynches aren't anti town if removing the player in exchange for a lynch is a net gain. That's also why I find arguments like this stupid. If there's a problem, you can fix it if enough people agree, that's the beauty of mafia.

I'm on a little break from mafia right now because I don't like the current playerbase, but that's not because of posting frequency. RB is a player I liked, though I think that's a minority opinion, as he was probably the only /active/ tone reader beside myself I consider competent. RC leaving, again, same thing. There's very few active normal players I consider good, call it my raging ego if you want and I'm aware themes are usually where the "better" people play, but honestly if this site wants to drift in a direction you can easily do that, just do it. If you don't think there's a place for high volume posters and live sorters, that's fine, but don't kid yourselves.

Sorry for the wallpost, been bedridden for like two days now, was at a parkour gym and landed badly (monkey vault is awesome if you're ever in Toronto). Incredibly bored. I know I made a ton of unrelated points here so yea. My bad. Didn't really edit so probably lots of small grammar things.
?(bolded in wall)
skirt skirt
skirt skirt
Mafia Scum
skirt skirt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1002 (ISO) » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Post by skirt skirt »

self-moderation over divine intervention, not "acid I hate your playstyle I'm going to try and policy lynch you every game"
acidphoenix
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1003 (ISO) » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Post by acidphoenix »

if i did represent it as that it definitely was not my intent

my intent was to express complete opposition to any policy lynch on playstyle

and also express annoyance with your "you didn't rebut anything" and ad hominems on the grounds i was annoyed with them but htat was it
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #1004 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:23 am

Post by yessiree »

unless advocating for a PL is breaking a rule, it is fair game for both parties

if the player advocating for the PL gets enough support for a lynch, that player should be commended for their persuasion skills

if the player subjected to the PL successfully prevents it, that player should be commended for their persuasion skills
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1005 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:56 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I think the argument is more that PL is a completely unreasonable and unworkable as an actual solution to the problem.

Literally I've been on the site for 10+ years and I can remember perhaps two successful policy lynches.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1006 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

In post 1005, Thestatusquo wrote:I think the argument is more that PL is a completely unreasonable and unworkable as an actual solution to the problem.

Literally I've been on the site for 10+ years and I can remember perhaps two successful policy lynches.
Clearly PLing needs to be utilized more.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #1007 (ISO) » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:17 am

Post by Annadog40 »

Though I see pseudo!policy lynches like with Man With A Plan.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1008 (ISO) » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 1006, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 1005, Thestatusquo wrote:I think the argument is more that PL is a completely unreasonable and unworkable as an actual solution to the problem.

Its not really that it isn't utilized. It's just that it is exceedingly difficult to get 7+ players to agree on anything, let alone an OOG argument like "we need to play the role of administrators and protect our game from this person even though it may not directly relate to fulfilling our win conditions."

It's just a very hard thing to do, and putting the onus on the players in these situations sucks.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #1009 (ISO) » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:27 am

Post by Annadog40 »

In the newbie game, I think Man With A Plan's lynch was pretty much a policy lynch.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1010 (ISO) » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 am

Post by LicketyQuickety »

In post 1008, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 1006, LicketyQuickety wrote:

Its not really that it isn't utilized. It's just that it is exceedingly difficult to get 7+ players to agree on anything, let alone an OOG argument like "we need to play the role of administrators and protect our game from this person even though it may not directly relate to fulfilling our win conditions."

It's just a very hard thing to do, and putting the onus on the players in these situations sucks.
I prolly should have said it needs to be executed more because I agree and said something very similar earlier itt.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1011 (ISO) » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 577, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 574, Ranmaru wrote:
In post 571, RadiantCowbells wrote:Or, you could not self select yourselves out of the meta and then for some strange reason feel like you should have a say in how the meta develops.
What do you mean by self selection? :?: Who are you saying is self selecting themselves out of games?
Most of the people complaining about hyperposting play games at a fairly low rate over the last two years.
popping in to say i dont play as much anymore because of the shitposting spam bullshit that has risen since ~2013
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1012 (ISO) » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

oh that was covered i see nvm then
green shirt thursdays
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1013 (ISO) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:47 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Reck you don't get it your opinion doesn't matter. Rc says so.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1014 (ISO) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Post by Firebringer »

How about you just play with mods who have stricter anti spam/too much posting rules.
Seems pretty simple.

Most people in this thread don’t play many games anyway.
Just get one mod to have games dedicated for you guys and everyone else can have their shit post fest
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #1015 (ISO) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Post by vonflare »

you could even mod a game with strict posting rules! start a trend!
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1016 (ISO) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Post by nancy »

Am not sure how aware people are that this a pretty mafiascum-specific issue. I don't have a super huge amount of experience elsewhere but the few sites I have been to don't really do the spamming, shitposting thing that goes on here in most games. I think something that's pretty unique to mafiascum is how little town cares about their games for the most part and I think that's a huge part of it since my experience on other sites is that people do care a lot and it shows; I was talking with a huge noob yesterday and that kind of clicked with me that that was what's up, pretty simply that people don't care much here in mafia games, and I know my worst games are ones where I stopped caring. And it's kind of infectous and hard to break out of. Not to say that everyone doesn't care obviously but I don't know that policy lynching the people who don't care enough about their games to do more than shit around is a great way to motivate them or others in general to start caring? :P
:2017-2018:
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1017 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:44 am

Post by Alisae »

We tend to get an influx of newer players
as a result, those players are still learning the game and are not as good
as such
they don't know how to deal with pressure and it only snowballs from there.

Those newer players tend to swarm in 3 queues
The newbie queue (with lots less spamposting)
The open queue (50/50, generally isn't bad but sometimes can be)
and the Normal Queue (Most of the time it WILL be bad)
(I try to avoid those)

tho I kinda am interested in someone attempting to do the research to see which queues its worst in, because I don't think what I'm saying is accurate
GTKAS
| here.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1018 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:18 am

Post by Ginngie »

Ranked Queues
Mini Theme
Large Theme
Micro
Open
Normal
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1019 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:19 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 1014, Firebringer wrote:How about you just play with mods who have stricter anti spam/too much posting rules.
Seems pretty simple.

Just get one mod to have games dedicated for you guys and everyone else can have their shit post fest
This has already been extensively covered. Perhaps you should read threads before you post in them.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1020 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:57 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

I mean 1013 was a quip on stuff already covered too
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1021 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:57 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

I'VE GOT SOME STUFF FOR THIS THREAD SOON
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1022 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:08 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 1019, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 1014, Firebringer wrote:How about you just play with mods who have stricter anti spam/too much posting rules.
Seems pretty simple.

This has already been extensively covered. Perhaps you should read threads before you post in them.
Didn’t realize that part of discussion was closed, thanks for heads up.
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1023 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:11 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Not closed, just its pretty unproductive to repeat arguments verbatim when they've already been roundly refuted.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1024 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:51 am

Post by Firebringer »

I think you are confusing rebuttal with refuted
Show

Return to “Mafia Discussion”