Geriatric Players Club

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Geriatric Players Club

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:41 am

Post by Korts »

This thread is for organizing games using the following "geriatric" ruleset for restricting posting frequency:

Spoiler: Geriatric Rules
This game is played under a Geriatric ruleset. This means that posting frequency is restricted as follows:
  1. Every player is allowed a maximum of 10 posts in a 24 hour period. In the 24 hour period immediately preceding a deadline, players are allowed a maximum of 15 posts. The definition of a 24 hour period must be provided by the moderator.
  2. Every player starts with a reserve of 20 additional posts. Any posts above the daily limit are subtracted from this reserve.
  3. Players who deplete their reserve will receive a warning. Any further infractions after that will incur mod punishment.
  4. If a player has hit the daily limit and depleted their reserve, they are allowed
    one
    naked vote change per in-game Day.

The following are general posting guidelines for Geriatric games:

Spoiler: Posting Guidelines
The following are guidelines for playing within the restrictions of a Geriatric ruleset (and generally), and are designed to reduce the pace and improve comprehensibility.
  • Know how to let off the gas. Momentum is important, but this is not a race. This is a game of cooperation - make sure you don't leave anyone behind.
  • Don't forget you're always speaking to everyone. One-on-one conflicts have their place, but they can quickly take over a thread - and nobody is interested in spectating five pages of others arguing. You don't need to have the last word - if you're stuck making the same arguments to the same people, let the thread breathe and give others a chance to weigh in.
  • Compose your thoughts. Before submitting a post, reread yourself and cut, edit, and format your message. Make sure your point is clear, and highlight any arguments you make. For example, distinguish separate subjects with expandable spoilers or area tags.
  • As an overly general rule, any post that is shorter than three sentences is too short, and any post that doesn't fit on a single computer screen is too long.

Currently, the following players have expressed interest in playing under a geriatric post-restricted ruleset:

Spoiler: Players
  • RayFrost
  • chamber
  • wgeurts
  • Grendel
  • hitogoroshi
  • Sunlit Diamond
  • SpyreX
  • Aristophanes
  • Papa Zito
  • Thestatusquo
  • AxleGreaser
  • Human Sequencer
  • Errantparabola
  • Untrod Tripod
  • Kmd4390
  • Ellibereth
  • Korts
  • Porkens
  • Aeronaut
  • Fishythefish
  • Kison
  • Ectomancer
  • Napoleon III
  • CooLDoG
  • Porochaz
  • Gödel
  • insanity018
  • MagnaofIllusion
  • Kublai Khan
  • Radja
  • Gustavo
  • tn5421
  • Maruchan
  • Ginngie
  • AnonymousGhost
  • Pine
  • MichelSableheart

The following people have volunteered their services as replacement only:
  • Mathdino
The following people have volunteered their services as moderator:
  • Korts
  • AnonymousGhost
Spoiler: Original OP
Hi.

Years ago, before I had a job, I used to love playing this game all the time. Now, every time I try to get back into it, I am immediately reminded that this is the way it is now. Maybe this is how it always was? I remember holding the top spot for the most posts in a day for a short while in my first year here, and it made me so happy. Now I question whether that kind of activity ever did me any good.

Yes, we used to have horrible spamfests sometimes too. We also had plenty of snoozers, sure. But I would much rather snooze than struggle to breathe.

So this thread here is for the oldsters (and sure, the youngsters, too, if they can slow the fuck down for once) to congregate and organize for some good old-fashioned slow-paced deliberation. If you're tired of the spastic screamfests kids throw these days, and you want to relive game the way it used to be played - with a sense of measure and decency that is lost to this new breed - post here, and we'll figure it out.

Now, get off my lawn.

Kids These Days:
  • Transcend
  • rb
  • RadiantCowbells
  • Lil Uzi Vert
  • Drealmerz7
  • Gamma Emerald
  • gerryoat
  • Boonskiies
  • Creature
  • Titus
  • Mulch
Last edited by Korts on Tue May 29, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 29 times in total.
scumchat never die
Bomberman
Bomberman
Goon
Bomberman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:00 am

Post by Bomberman »

Fate always had a high postcount but nobody berated him for it

Wonder what changed
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:05 am

Post by zoraster »

People complained about Fate all the time.
Bomberman
Bomberman
Goon
Bomberman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:09 am

Post by Bomberman »

Regardless, it seemed to be tolerated and even endeared at times

I like things being all there in one place and one post to deliberate, but I will say that you can be short and sweet about what you wanna say and still have it become meaningful

I think the problem the site faces now is a very audacious group of people who want to fight for control over the thread, and that usually means posting the most
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:24 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1, Bomberman wrote:Fate always had a high postcount but nobody berated him for it
Wonder what changed
People seem to boil Fate down to aspects like this and think that's all there was to him.

"A player like Fate did this and he was fine, so why is it bad now that others do it too?".

The problem with that line of thinking is that there was always more to Fate than just his gimmick. He had a charm* about him even outside of his gimmick. Not to mention, he actually knew what he was doing with it. He had clear idea behind each and every post he made--there was an intent behind his style, and the intent was directly motivated by his goals, as town, as scum.

...The people who look at Fate forget that though. They copied his technique's appearance without copying the underlying methodology. And that's where things went wrong. Fate had depth. Fate had meaning. Fate may have started a trend, but he actually knew what he was doing when he was using it. The people following his style, by and large, did not. They saw flashy play and thought, "ooh, this looks like a good idea!" and tried it themselves, only to find it less successful than Fate because they simply didn't understand that Fate was more than the sum of his parts. You can't copy what he did, because what he did had nuances to it which were something you had to personally experience to appreciate.

*One key difference between Fate and imitators, for instance. Fate made posts which were entertaining to others. Most imitators make posts which are entertaining to themselves. And while a post entertaining to oneself may hold entertainment value to another, it is not made with the intention to entertain others. Fate always did, in his own unique way. He made people laugh; it was part of his personality.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Post by Korts »

So, where does one go for a comfortably paced game nowadays? Is the micro queue the only hope I have of not waking up to 20 pages every single day?
scumchat never die
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 5, Korts wrote:So, where does one go for a comfortably paced game nowadays? Is the micro queue the only hope I have of not waking up to 20 pages every single day?
Some days you will wake up and there won't even be two new posts in those games
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Post by Human Sequencer »

I agree that hyperposting is a massive problem. I don't know how to solve it.
nah
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:28 pm

Post by Korts »

We hang together and keep away from signups with hyperposters is what this thread proposes.
scumchat never die
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:12 am

Post by Korts »

I have signed up for Umlaut's hydra-free micro and Alchemist's mini normal, I hope you join me in fostering a reasonably paced experience.

Also, please alert me if you spot any hyperactive youngsters on the current player lists (rb, Transcend, and Draynth so far for Umlaut, and myko, Transcend, and kraska for Alchemist's game). I have only done a quick activity check of the latest games they played - no red flags popped up, but I didn't do a very thorough job either.
scumchat never die
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:14 am

Post by RayFrost »

Transcend is definitely a problem from my one game with them: they self-destructed and spam posted while doing it. May be okay without clashing personalities?

Mykonian isn't much of a youngster or hyperactive I think?

I'd join you in playing one of those, but I'm already in one game and don't feel I have the energy for two.
Last edited by RayFrost on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
don't you feel silly now?
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 am

Post by Korts »

Thanks for the heads up! I recused myself from Alchemist's game, then. I hope I can handle Transcend in a micro environment at least, as long as no other catalysts join the game.
scumchat never die
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:29 am

Post by Korts »

I have been alerted by PM that rb fits the description of catalyst. Therefore I have recused myself from the micro as well.

Maybe the next round of signups, I guess.
scumchat never die
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:40 am

Post by Korts »

I have added a running list of Kids These Days to the OP. Feel free to suggest any additions.
scumchat never die
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:31 am

Post by chamber »

Maybe I'll be able to join a game with you if its next round. This round I've got a meet to go to.
Taking a break from the site.
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:40 am

Post by Human Sequencer »

Drealmerz7, Alisae, Gamma Emerald, gerryoat, Boonskiies

More 'Kids These Days' with hyperactive posting. I'd put myself on the same list, but I'm really trying to fix it lately. I did my best to only mention those who I feel it happens almost every single game for, and I don't necessarily dislike anybody on the list.
I'm lurking to check out what game y'all decide on hijacking, to join it as well.
nah
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:51 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 15, Human Sequencer wrote:Drealmerz7, Alisae, Gamma Emerald, gerryoat, Boonskiies

More 'Kids These Days' with hyperactive posting. I'd put myself on the same list, but I'm really trying to fix it lately. I did my best to only mention those who I feel it happens almost every single game for, and I don't necessarily dislike anybody on the list.
I'm lurking to check out what game y'all decide on hijacking, to join it as well.
Hey!
I try to realize that my spamposting is disasterous so I DO try to lower my frequency. I tried in nancy's mini because she didn't want a lot of shitposting where I just ended up posting a wall every now and then and being sporadic. THIS IS SOMETHING I AM TRYING TO IMPROVE ON NOT DOING :(
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:55 am

Post by Alisae »

I was thinking of contributing names, but this is turning out to be a witch hunt imo.
don't make it be like that.
GTKAS
| here.
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:21 am

Post by Bins »

Ah, I used to have 50+ posts/day, too.
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:32 am

Post by Korts »

Alisae, the intention is certainly not for this to become a witch hunt. I deliberately try to avoid judgmental language (aside from the grumpy oldster speak, which is meant to be tongue-in-cheek), as I do not think there is an inherent problem with hyperposting. I am just physically unable to keep up with games where it happens. I do not want to demonize (nor do I want anyone else to demonize) the people who play this way, I simply want to avoid them - and for that, I need to know who to avoid.

I will not be adding your name to the list, as you said you are trying to cut back. The list is for people who are not known to slow down for others.
scumchat never die
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:34 am

Post by Alisae »

Ah okay.
I might end up pming you some names when I get home then.
Tho one thing I will say is that some of them off the top of my head DO bring quality so...
Either way it may or may not be detailed :]
GTKAS
| here.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:04 am

Post by morph the cat »

It seems like it might be easier to get a game mod to volunteer to design a game, and provide them a list of invitees you'd like to see join your game they can send a pre-invite to. In the micro queue that could account for 6 pre-in slots out of 9. That plus WOTC/WOTM might result in a player list you like.

I think all of the above is within the rules for most of the game queues. It's several steps down from an invitational game.

Speaking of which, I've loved watching (2 I think) oldies invitational games that have been run on site since I joined.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:05 am

Post by fferyllt »

In post 21, morph the cat wrote:It seems like it might be easier to get a game mod to volunteer to design a game, and provide them a list of invitees you'd like to see join your game they can send a pre-invite to. In the micro queue that could account for 6 pre-in slots out of 9. That plus WOTC/WOTM might result in a player list you like.

I think all of the above is within the rules for most of the game queues. It's several steps down from an invitational game.

Speaking of which, I've loved watching (2 I think) oldies invitational games that have been run on site since I joined.
This was me.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:13 am

Post by Porochaz »

In post 1, Bomberman wrote:Fate always had a high postcount but nobody berated him for it

Wonder what changed
In post 2, zoraster wrote:People complained about Fate all the time.
Man, Fate sucked all the fun out of games. Both IRL and on site, I remember going for a walk at Reckoning and hearing his voice down the street. Also it wasn't always tolerated, I wouldnt play with him and I know a lot of others wouldnt either. It was just back in those days problems were dealt with more privately (some of the time).
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:33 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I'm running a normal with global post restrictions to keep the postcount down if anyone in this group is interested in playing.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”