Geriatric Players Club

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #600 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:00 am

Post by Mathdino »

TBM, you neither represent the community nor an objective take on Mulch. It doesn't matter what your preconceptions are. I opened the discussion in an OPEN DISCUSSION FORUM in to revive the topic of "is geriatric townsided or scumsided, and why?" I opened that, knowing that Mulch might have input, and he provided input. This was what I wanted.

Quote the posts since I revived this discussion where you think Mulch turned it into a fight, treated others with disrespect, harassed anyone, or "shitting on" the thread.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #601 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:04 am

Post by Mathdino »

And if you're going to be needlessly hostile about the argument that the geriatric playerbase being too inactive is what makes it not work, I'm going to point that there were multiple delays in starting your game, which I'm planning on discussing after that game ends.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #602 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:27 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

None of us are the community you keep telling other people how they can and can't feel about Mulch and that isn't really something you can do either. I don't give a shit if you like mulch and think he's a great guy, none of that changes how his actions are reprieved by others. Do shitty things, get considered shitty regardless of how cool MathDino thinks you are.

I took five minutes to skim this thread to help you understand;
[spoiler="Responses to Mulch's presence here]
In post 336, Espeonage wrote:I bet mulch sits in McDonald's and complains about nuggets not being burgers.
In post 334, Ginngie wrote:lmao it's not anger but annoyance, you're like a mosquito that wont go away
In post 366, Thestatusquo wrote:Mulch was clearly trolling here, and was responded to in the way he was because of that.
In post 350, Korts wrote:Why don't you go the fuck away?
In post 382, Hinduragi wrote:This is blatant trolling. Mulch was being a total asshole no matter what lens you're looking at this under.
In post 421, humaneatingmonkey wrote:I kinda understand why they think you're an asshole, Mulch. You're generating unwanted friction.
In post 410, Flubbernugget wrote:Not only is this thread only supposed to be for organizing games now, there are literally two separate threads to take a pick amongst for criticizing geriatric games.

How did someone
still
manage to find this thread and complain?
In post 429, Korts wrote:It's more about you being obtuse and disrespectful, rehashing the same unfounded arguments and refusing to acknowledge any counterpoints, and insisting on shitting up this thread when others have been made for you to post your complaints in.
In post 426, Aeronaut wrote:Mulch, you don't need to be here if you don't like this fun little ruleset. You especially don't need to be in our thread for finding games, as there's now literally three other discussion threads where you could continue to complain about it now. You're here intentionally commenting and making personal attacks for absolutely no reason.
In post 593, Kublai Khan wrote:Mulch has been asked a half dozen times to go away from this thread for being an asshole. It's so weird that his views are being welcomed. It's such a mystery. Gosh. So much mystery.
In post 582, Pine wrote:gtfo if you're going to be Mr. Negativity, Mulch.
In post 407, xRECKONERx wrote: fuck off
In post 430, Papa Zito wrote:Mulch, please don't post here unless you have something to contribute to the ruleset. Thanks.
[/spoiler]

This is just one part of one thread, this is Mulch in a nut shell.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #603 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:32 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

I think shea summed it up best.
In post 358, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 354, Aristophanes wrote:Guys wtf! Can we have some civil discourse instead of shitting on Mulch!?
Holy crap!
Person A: Acts like a gigantic asshole.
Person B: Hey, asshole. Stop being an asshole.
Person C: OMG WHY IS EVERYONE BEING SO MEAN TO PERSON A.

In this situation the issue isn't with the people who are responding to someone being an asshole to them, its with person deliberately coming into this thread to start drama and attack people. The responses have actually been remarkably civil given how shitty mulch is being.

But sure, ari. The people responding to the asshole are the ones at fault here.
You may not like me, you may not like certain games or play styles and that's cool, that stuff's subjective I get it. But I repeat again this didn't need to be a fight or a debate, this could have just been some scummers organizing some games and having a good time with parts of the community that aren't around as much anymore. Ask yourself what do you actually have to gain by doing it or why Mulch should be tolerated when so many people have asked him to stop?
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #604 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:37 am

Post by Pine »

In post 588, xRECKONERx wrote:So...

3 games so far?

1: mod apathy kills the game with an engaged town pushing for replacements
2: town wins
3: town apathy results in a town loss

such data very wow much statistical significance
:lol:
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #605 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:41 am

Post by Mathdino »

I HAVE told Mulch to fuck off before. This was never a question of his character, or of my opinion of him. You brought that question back into the thread.

You pulled quotes from months ago instead of answering my question. There wasn't a single post he made after I opened the thread again for discussion, that was trolling, harassing, disrespectful, or otherwise toxic.

I asked for discussion. Mulch provided a reasonable viewpoint. You, among others, shot back with personal attacks that derailed it again, rather than even addressing the discussion. That is what turned this into a fight.

And if you're upset about this being turned into a debate, again, you should be mad at me, because I've been discussing the townsided/scumsided debate for the past few pages now. The ruleset is vulnerable to inactive mods and inactive players, and appears to be MORE vulnerable than average games on MS. That was the topic.

That quote happens to accidentally include Ari's which, incidentally, I agree with. I don't have a personal problem with you, but you guys are absolutely being the aggressors in this situation.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #606 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:46 am

Post by Mathdino »

In post 596, Mulch wrote:
In post 593, Kublai Khan wrote:Mulch has been asked a half dozen times to go away from this thread for being an asshole. It's so weird that his views are being welcomed. It's such a mystery. Gosh. So much mystery.
I don’t really think explaining my thoughts on this is being an asshole

I mean, even if it WAS none of my business, people comment on things they aren’t involved in all the time

But I personally think this stuff is adversely affecting the site as a whole

And I even took time to really flesh out my thoughts/go into detail/do analysis on why recently

/shrug

I don’t really want to listen to people that are being abusive/rude/mean anyway
And he responded to being personally attacked with civility and commitment to wanting a genuine discussion.

To which you've responded by compiling every instance you could of how people hate Mulch, and arguing that he shouldn't be "tolerated" (what?).

Because quoting what other people think of Mulch is definitely how to tell me who Mulch is in a nutshell.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #607 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:48 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

In post 605, Mathdino wrote:I HAVE told Mulch to fuck off before. This was never a question of his character, or of my opinion of him. You brought that question back into the thread.

You pulled quotes from months ago instead of answering my question. There wasn't a single post he made after I opened the thread again for discussion, that was trolling, harassing, disrespectful, or otherwise toxic.

I asked for discussion. Mulch provided a reasonable viewpoint. You, among others, shot back with personal attacks that derailed it again, rather than even addressing the discussion. That is what turned this into a fight.

And if you're upset about this being turned into a debate, again, you should be mad at me, because I've been discussing the townsided/scumsided debate for the past few pages now. The ruleset is vulnerable to inactive mods and inactive players, and appears to be MORE vulnerable than average games on MS. That was the topic.

That quote happens to accidentally include Ari's which, incidentally, I agree with. I don't have a personal problem with you, but you guys are absolutely being the aggressors in this situation.
....Wasn't an accidental inclusion I literally selected the quote I did for a reason.

I don't always agree with you on stuff but you've never gone out of your way to be shitty to anyone or deliberately gone trolling for no reason why would we be angry at you? I mean I don't get what you're setting out to prove or what you're trying to accomplish but I mean you do you, if you don't like Geriatric games then don't join them or if you do then feel free to join them? This wasn't created to make a more balanced version of Mafia, it was created to make games where people could still get a chance to play even if they've got limited free time or preferred the meta of yesteryear.

I personally find the fact that we get a chance to play with people like MoI or Pine again far more important then if the town EV dropped 4% or whatever but to each their own.

Edit: If you got any further issues with me feel free to toss me a PM, if Mulch is out of the thread then I'm quite happy to leave it here.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #608 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Post by Pine »

Hey guys, maybe we can all just get along?

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #609 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I would push lurker lynches in a geriatric. Especially like Blackvoid.
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #610 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

When did LaL die off?

It was on its way out in 2013ish when I stopped being active on the mafia side regularly but it definitely still was a thing.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #611 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Post by Pine »

It was never really a thing. Being distracted by the shiny has always been more appealing.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #612 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

I remember Yos pushing it through multiple times, he was one of its larger proponents but others at least supported it as a good tool to push lurkers to get involved or get hung.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #613 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:57 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I think I was lynched for LAL in 2011 by Spyrex. Also in a Setael game. That's all that I can remember. Would support LAL in a geriatric.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #614 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Post by Mulch »

What's LAL
Amrock#3784
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #615 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Post by Pine »

I mean that it was never a thing in terms of a popular or well-used strategy. People tried using it numerous times, but it was never really a popular thing.

Vig all lurkers kind of was a thing.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #616 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Post by Mathdino »

Lynch All Lurkers

Edit: mfw that's not a wiki page i guess i'm fixing that at some point
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #617 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Post by Mulch »

Does that stop the lurkers from doing it, or is that an actual strategy (ie you think it hits scum often)
Amrock#3784
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #618 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

In post 615, Pine wrote:Vig all lurkers kind of was a thing.
A wonderful wonderful thing!

Really see it was the other side of the coin to the scums ability to shape discussion, vigs ability to shape the game is so much greater then just what they get done at night.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #619 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Post by Pine »

There was site meta at the time supporting it. Scum were often in the lurkers. Mostly it was a deterrence thing in practice. You still see people voting or wagoning lurkers to get them to paricipate.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #620 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Mulch: I think the former. Would force players wanting to use it as a tactic into the spotlight. Hopefully it gets scum at the same time, but sometimes there are lurksacks that are town just as bad as Blackvoid.
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #621 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 600, Mathdino wrote:revive the topic of "is geriatric townsided or scumsided, and why?"
Well, so far it's been established that a.) the current meta is very vulnerable to prod dodging and lurking. (Curtesy of T-Bone! :))

And it's also been "established" - let's say - that b.) a geriatric game shouldn't be an excuse to go two to three days or more without posting. (Curtesy of mastina! :))

The "purpose" of Geriatric games is to let people post at a reasonable rate, without getting swamped by pages and pages and pages of multi posts made by other players. But this doesn't excuse a player from going without posting for more than the prod setting allows, since they technically "shouldn't" have an "excuse" to flake out i.e. the pages and pages and pages of posts made by other players.

However, with only a sample size of three, the only "real" conclusions we can some to right now include:

i.) The current meta is not suitable for past modding meta (Curtesy of Mastina!)
ii.) Towns cannot pull a victory if they are not active (TBF... this applies to both Geriatric and Non-Geriatric games)
iii.) Towns can pull a victory if they are active (Again... pretty obvious & this applies to both Geriatric and Non-Geriatric)
iv.) More DATA!

Shameless plug...
FWIW I do plan on hosting a Geriatric Large theme during the summer, but I've made a modification to the ruleset regarding prods. Specifically, the number of prods players are allowed to have before I replace them. I'm also going to be adopting Plotinus's Get A Room mechanic into the game as well.

So, discuss how a reduced # of prods (i.e. only allowed two prods instead of three) could affect the geriatric ruleset and/or current meta!
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #622 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:13 pm

Post by TheButtonmen »

I think there is an issue where player attracted to geriatrics are more likely to have full time career jobs and / or family responsibilities. I think that if you're moving to that method you might want to do some reading about Vi's battery shenanigans as another route worth exploring.
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #623 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

That is exactly why I'm attracted to Geriatric despite being, yes, a spam poster.

On the other hand, people should be able to recognize their limitations before signing up for a game, regardless if it's Geriatric or not. It's only fair to the others players and the Mod of the game. It's almost like making sure to read the rules before you play. You should do it to ensure that everyone has the best quality game.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
insanity018
insanity018
Mafia Scum
insanity018
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #624 (ISO) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Post by insanity018 »

In post 623, AnonymousGhost wrote:On the other hand, people should be able to recognize their limitations before signing up for a game, regardless if it's Geriatric or not. It's only fair to the others players and the Mod of the game. It's almost like making sure to read the rules before you play. You should do it to ensure that everyone has the best quality game.
I agree with this!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”