Geriatric Players Club

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Post by Mulch »

You would be so surprised at how many people get cold feet on a policy lynch when I say "yeah, I agree, best to remove myself from the game" and just vote myself lol. They get so annoyed and start berating me like "why the hell did you join??' and then I remind them that it was their idea to begin with, and then they usually unvote. Very powerful tactic :P
Amrock#3784
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:49 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

Policy lynches are the crutches of cadavers.
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:57 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

In post 72, Bulbazak wrote:
In post 70, Aristophanes wrote:Ginngie.

I love Ginngie! But like, yeah. She's one of the "kids these days" for sure!
The difference is that Ginngie provides content. And she's not a spamposter. She just seems to have a lot of disposable time, and as such she is more active and able to respond quicker. Let's not equate active posting to be the same as spamposting (see Aronis, Saki, or the like).

As for spamposters, I'm not above policy lynching them during the early days. Making the thread more readable on future days is definitely a pro-town move. In Night & Day, for instance, you will notice that while I was strong townreading Aronis during the early days, I never tried to stand in the way of a possible lynch. I would explain why I was townreading him, or I would dismantle faulty logic, but anything else I wouldn't touch, as I felt a compromise lynch there could actually be beneficial. To be fair, joining the wagon there probably would have been an improvement to the game.
the point is about active posting. it doesnt matter whether or not its content, its that people struggle to keep up with the game.
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:44 am

Post by Lycanfire »

That goes back to spamposters. They do it strategically BECAUSE people can't keep up and want to have a monopoly on discussion.

There was a moment in SU2 where had I had some kickass reads in my hydra pt but three people literally argued for 10 pages over who was leading town. I didn't want to deal with that so I told myself I'd read the thread next week/month/whatever year I could be bothered to do so.
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

And active posters are not the same as spam posters. It's difference between a few new pages a day and 20. The combination of the two can be deadly, but it's not the active posters fault alone.
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:31 pm

Post by Ginngie »

:oops:
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:46 pm

Post by Ginngie »

The main thing is, that when I play, as Bulba aptly noted, I provide content all the time, it's like a 90/10 content/shitposting ratio.

Now, I do have free time and often check the games I'm playing in so I'm always up to date, and part of my playstyle is 1 on 1 engagements, talking to the player.

So when you have me talking to 12 other people, it looks like I'm spam posting but in reality I'm sorting literally everyone.

If I'm not sorting, I'll do a shit post to add levity to the game so people are having fun because that's important as well.

Also hint hint to when I play, i have a bunch of meta triggers I try to create when I'm playing with someone while talking directly to them and it helps me sort quick AF.

like, it was a sort of infamous moment when I said
In post 1453, Ginngie wrote:I'm starting a fight

VOTE: MathBlade
In Night and Day mafia, but I was using it to see how Math reacted and they were so far from their town playstyle, i had a pretty good scum read.

It's funny actually, you'll notice a trend that after I have played one game with a person, I'm pretty good at reads but my first game with someone I'm terri-bad and P-much useless.

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

In post 81, Ginngie wrote:snip
i still have no idea what you were doing in restrictive mafia and now you're trying to claim you do stuff like that not only on the regular, but on purpose? holy shit. :left:
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 82, Lycanfire wrote:i still have no idea what you were doing in restrictive mafia and now you're trying to claim you do stuff like that not only on the regular, but on purpose? holy shit.
What?

Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

sorry ginngie i got you confused with someone else
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Ginngie, it's quantity, not quality of posting that is in question here. That's why you fit so well!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

Look again. The OP is about spamposters who are filling threads with noise. That does not describe active players who have quality posts. Ginngie would do just as well in a slower meta, but she also has the current benefit of keeping up with the current spamposting meta.
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:53 am

Post by Papa Zito »

I'd like to subscribe to this service.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

I've always been a pretty weak player and a phone poster. I'll post one liners with several multiposts, and am often careless with my thoughts and words. However, my posting volume is pretty low too. Should I offer myself to the blacklist?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

/signed.

Also, playing with fate was horrible both in real life and online and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

But also I think that mastinas post has some merit too. Like, fate was REALLY good at mafia. His style was adjacent to that. He could have chosen any style and he would have been really good at mafia. The style was also part, but not all of what made him so unpleasant to play with.

It's the same as how in 2007 or so we had a rash of players trying to play by only infrequently posting very short, mostly contentless posts. This is because Internet Stranger and Fritzler, who were very good at mafia happened to have this style, and it worked for them because they were very good at mafia. The people who picked it up were not very good at mafia however, and they ended up ruining games with it.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:59 am

Post by Katsuki »

Playing with Fate was always incredibly entertaining both in real life and online.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Post by Papa Zito »

I did enjoy the antics myself.

Btw my game just ended so I am currently free for this.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:51 am

Post by Korts »

I'll collect a list of names and come up with a way forward this weekend, probs.
scumchat never die
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:06 am

Post by Errantparabola »

Interested maybe idk :X
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
AxleGreaser
AxleGreaser
Mafia Scum
AxleGreaser
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Post by AxleGreaser »

In post 92, Korts wrote:I'll collect a list of names and come up with a way forward this weekend, probs.
If you are taking names and numbers ...

I am old/geriatric and you may not be my generation (neither am I, yet) but i am young at heart. Plan to die that way, eventually.
just not in diapers.
In post 40, Korts wrote:It's unfortunate that this is taken as bullying, when the intention is for
everyone
to be able to play in an enjoyable way. Some playstyles are incompatible with others, and that cannot be changed - what can be done, however, is for people to avoid signups with conflicting playstyles.
(emph mine)
That is an issue i have struggled with. I have long been considering starting modding, and modding games... with a WOTM... with a possibly 'longish' (aka >>1) list.

The games were going to try and self select people whod like to play "that" way.
I was even considering being a vig centric mod. (how many vigs would evolve over time, until hopefully they were not needed)
There used to be risk that if you played in a way, that was incompatible with town cohesion you would just die. n1. getting vigged n1, is not good for scum. If every player had the issue of trying not to be the one that died to a town bullet n1.
That would tilt the evolution table, esp if on average the games i modded started off with the "right" population. (a tilted sample)(tilted by a WOTM list and by the clear intention to make it approach moutainous. << aimed to attract people who want to play on a team. (not play the hero) )

Limited roles, lots of VT. Approaching mountainous as balance. <<<< hence requiring town play to be towny or lose.

Balance which decides however badly town plays , balance must continually chase it making setups more and more town favored in setup, to allow for the ever less towny towns
is what is known in math/evolution as a red queen race. It imo ends badly.

Re this:
In post 40, Korts wrote:Gamma Emerald has been struck from the list in accordance with post 28. Thanks for the willingness to slow down
and me saying
with a WOTM... with a possibly 'longish' (not 1) list.
yeah that part has given me the most grief.
(hence I strongly suggest it is worth people think about the social consequences of what they want.)

especially since I think I once read mith 'rule' about invitationals that >seemed to me<basically discouraged them(put hurdles in the way) because they are IMO bad(ish)(risky). (can generate a bad social vibe)
MY WOTM list is MY WOTM list absolutely not public.
Things you can do to be pretty sure you get on it, replace out of games (esp tritely), post zero content. spam yadda yadda. bore me to tears as mod I have to read the game.
However.... if had a pool of players who were going to play... and someone town very probably had a gun. Adding a smaller number of players I'd been iffy about wouldn't spoil the pot.
other things you could do to make me go :\ shoot >badly<. badly is play the hero not solve towns problems. On n1 town can have the problem player X looks like they may never be readable.

Yeah Ive checked if I can run the game id want to run I suspect doesn't meet (cant be squeezed into) the normal criteria wouldn't fit in normal as the are zero 'strict' vts. The closest I can get is
(the game in effect has one compulsive unaware vig)(trust me it happens...)
(every "vt" has an item, a gun they must compulsively fire night 1)(only one (or two?) guns have a bullet that works)(mod knows who in advance)(its not a claimable role XXX)
(optionally they must all fire night two as well if I want the possibility, but maybe not the actuality of two extra town controlled kills)
There may or may not be other "normal" roles in the game, there may or may not be bullets, in chambers for d3 d4 or d5 of the game)
Scum have guns too (and maybe normal scum roles too), theirs are reloadable and every gun they have works. Their problem is bullets, they only get one per day.) (AKA scum have 1 normal night kill.)

Intended Result: players play mafia not, rely on, or game the setup. Balance is known to be such that town cant afford a lot of wasted ego epeen based mislynches. The vig shot cant be used to confirm shooter as town (as even the shooter wont know until post game whose gun shot) It is thus a much more reliably an unreadable by play trash taking out weapon, not so much a hero play weapon or reason not to play towny(like a VT). So Id have to run a "normal" mini first so I could run that as a theme.
But if anyone else with the geriatric WOTM list wants to run one be my guest. 13P I am thinking 1 vig + protective/jk. 2x1 vig. 1vig + something. (1 compulsive vig + nothing is worse than mountainous) (14p 10p + 1 bare vig is more town favored than mountainous)
Last edited by AxleGreaser on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:41 am, edited 6 times in total.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:52 pm

Post by Psyche »

if u want i could autogenerate a list of people who post a lot / post really little and from there you can pick out the ones who aren't shitposters
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:45 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I read that as autograph and now that I know what you really said I like it less.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:33 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 95, Psyche wrote:if u want i could autogenerate a list of people who post a lot / post really little and from there you can pick out the ones who aren't shitposters
As long as it's only game threads, that would work, but we have to make a hard number for what is "a lot" then, which is easier said than done, no?
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:39 am

Post by Psyche »

can just use zscore
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:47 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 98, Psyche wrote:can just use zscore
That's a math thing, yes?
- Jingle

Return to “Mafia Discussion”