Be a Team Player: A lost Artform

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Bomberman
Bomberman
Goon
Bomberman
Goon
Goon

Be a Team Player: A lost Artform

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:10 am

Post by Bomberman »

I woke up today and had a bunch of wandering thoughts that I feel I should put somewhere. What inspired me to make this thread was in lieu of the discussion here, but also this comment by Lil Uzi Vert in the same thread.
In post 165, Lil Uzi Vert wrote:
In post 163, Vi wrote:
In post 160, Lil Uzi Vert wrote:I'm just saying that a restriction doesn't solve the issue. This is an emotional game and people aren't just going to suddenly become robots and not express themselves the way they reasonably want to.
you wrote:The abundance of posting is not the problem. It's egotistical like play coming from people who solely use meta and shit tells.
Therein lies the problem. Your issue is not the one being addressed in this thread (and yours a lot harder to tackle anyway because it requires everyone on site to play better; good luck with that).
This is the actual problem with the site.

We know people need to get better but we don't want to put the work in to help people get better. We rather police how others play so we don't have to try as hard.
What I want to tackle is not a certain playstyle that I believe needs to be stamped out, rather just needs to be refined. The issues that stem from the thread mentioned is the idea of hyperposting attributing to a poor gamestate, but the means of fixing those issues are causing derision and making others feel attacked for playing a certain way. I do not believe that is what is beneficial in the long run, therefore I want to offer some insight on problems I believe these players face.

--

Introduction: What is the essence of a Team Player?

At it's core, Mafia is inherently a team game. The town works together to ensure scum is lynched and the scum work on using deception and stifling town's advances towards finding all members. I personally feel that this idea is something that is lost on new players, therefore I want to clarify what I believe promotes team play.

What good Team Play is:
-
Allowing everyone to speak.
If you think about it in laymen's terms, cooperation is something that is taught in grade school. When you need to work with someone on a project, what type of environment do you feel is most beneficial? Is it someone who directs the ideas for everyone and commands leadership by speaking the most, or is it when everyone is able to speak their mind?
Letting people get their thoughts out and having their say may allow you to see a perspective you did not see prior.

-
Giving respect.
This is something I see a lot more but there is a very common theme in current trends where people take opinions as if they were brandishing a weapon at them. A lot of players are more keen on feeling they are personally attacked, therefore they act out in a way that is harmful to the gamestate.
When someone disagrees with you, it is not a foundation for thinking you are bad.
You should treat these opportunities as something beneficial instead of simply discouraging, because it gives the opportunity to bounce back and forth on ideas.

-
Working towards a common goal.
At the end of the day, what matters after all the discussion is where your vote is. Wanting to capture lightning in a bottle or trying to not let your scumread slip is one thing, but the means of going about it is another.
You need to realize that everyone who is town wants the same thing you do, which is to lynch scum.
The means of doing so may be different for each player, but I believe some ways are far more effective than others, which is the point of this discussion.

What isn't good Team Play:
-
Centering discussion around yourself.
Treating yourself above the cut of everyone else is not only obnoxious but it is also poisonous to proper discussion.
When you direct a game based purely on your ideals, you are going against the idea of being a Team Player.

-
Using ad hominiem to undermine players.
- This falls in line of giving respect, but you will find that people will be more cooperative and less evasive if you choose to be more selective in the way you give your criticism.
Saying someone is bad, wrong, or stupid does not make your argument instantly better.
I think a lot of players believe if they put down someone who is attacking them, they will reconsider because they believe it will instill fear in them. Nobody wants to feel stupid, bad, or wrong, therefore people use ad hominiem to make people reconsider.

-
Assuming you're always right.
I see this a lot more than often than not, surprisingly. A lot of people like to talk themselves up due to past games or even events prior to posture themselves.
Commanding respect does not require you to be obnoxious.

-
Underestimating someone's ability.
Dismissing someone immediately gives you an immediate confirmation bias that whatever a person says isn't worthwhile.
This is not good for town because it allows scum to follow directives that someone simply should not be listened to, therefore they do not have to involve themselves nor appease what they have to say.
This also makes people feel generally insignificant, and causes them to want to post less. I really believe that there is not a single bad Mafia player, as Mafia is not the same as many other games. Being good at Mafia is not always having the greatest reads, rather it is ensuring pro-town behavior.

-
Being unable to accept you were wrong.
This plays in part of 'thinking you're always right', but a lot of people don't understand humility, therefore they don't learn from the mistakes they make. Nobody is perfect, therefore you shouldn't treat yourself as the same.
Accept your mistakes and you will find that you will learn from them much easier.

--

How To Get People In Your Corner or How I Learned To Love and Accept That Not Everyone Is Against Me

If you ever feel like your voice is not being heard, it is very likely that you lack the ability to be
convincing
. This is a staple of good town-play and one that is lost for a more indirect shouting match between two or three people trying to get others to change their mind. Here are some ways to ensure that people will listen to you and that your voice will be heard, all the while still letting others do the same.

-
Let no thought go unfinished. (Who/What/Where/Why)
A lot of the time, people will make post after post that usually don't reach a proper conclusion. This leads to either people simply skipping what you have to say or not understanding the gist of your argument.
You can fix this by using modifiers to your sentences in a way that makes you more understandable and easier on the eyes.

Example A wrote:I think Player Y is scum.

Vote: Player Y
This is an unfinished thought. There is no proper conclusion therefore we have nothing to go off of as to why you think this player is Mafia.
We can only make guesses and assumption based on interaction, but that only gives us so much because you did not give a proper conclusion for everyone, only for yourself.

Ask yourself:
Who
am I voting?
What
did they do that made me vote them?
Where
did this instance occur that made me believe they were scum? And finally,
Why
are they scum because of it? You'd be surprised that a lot of issues that I fixed are merely literary tricks and terms that can be applied in everyday discussion.
Example B wrote:I think Player Y is scum
because
(Who/What/Where/Why)

Vote: Player Y
Of course, there is a lot more nuance to this and is not simply answering Who/What/Where/Why every time, but it is a good foundation and can get people to start seeing where you are coming from.

-
Logic trumps all.
At the end of the day, the person who wins is the person whom is being the most logical.
Logic can be applied through understanding the gamestate and applying what you know to advance it further. Logic is using your cognition to make decisions based on evidence.
A lot of players these days simply ignore logic and focus on either one thing at a time, or too many things at a time. There are a lot of assumptions that are made that only lead to incomplete thought, therefore it is hard to follow. This is easily rectified by exerting behavior that makes it seem like you know what you are talking about. Mafia is in a sense is a form of heightened debate, and you will go a lot farther if you apply logic to your arguments, instead of baseless assumptions.

-
Put it all together/Step back from the thread.
There's only so much that you as a person can do, but a lot of people feel as if they have to do everything.
Stepping back from the thread to think about where you stand is far more beneficial instead of remaining in the thread pursuing incomplete thought.
You need to take a moment and think about what it is you're doing and give it purpose next time you come back. You will find people will not only agree with you more often, but that your play will be less scatterbrained and more efficient. A simple way to do this is to compile a readslist or one post where you let everyone know where you're at instead of making people dig through continual posts and interactions done haphazardly. It will save you time and it will save everyone else time.

-
Applying right pressure.
Pressure is great to put someone in the hotseat to gauge their responses, but sometimes too much pressure or wrong pressure can be bad. The idea of right pressure for me personally is
pressuring someone on something you don't know or want to know.
Pressure is not simply making hyperbolic statements about a scumread or shutting someone down because 'they are scum', it is working with someone or having nuance in the way you interact with someone. Ask yourself:
Is the pressure I'm applying going to benefit others to see something that I feel is being ignored? Is this pressure warranted because the player I am pressuring did not clarify about something I want them to? Will these reactions prove beneficial? Who is the person I am pressuring and how do they react to pressure?

-
Know your players.
This plays a bit in part of applying right pressure, but not everyone is going to react or play in a way you think is right/agreeable.
What sets 'good' players and 'bad' mafia players is that people take in account who someone is, or how they are presenting themselves.
You need to tick the right boxes with certain people and play to their level at times so you can seem reasonable. It's gonna be hard for people to listen to you if you approach them in a way that is not understandable, from their perspective. This can mean a wide arrange of things, but that can be another topic.

-
Give purpose to your posts.
When you make a post, make it count. Don't make a post if you think it won't matter in the long run.
Make sure you're following everything previously discussed and applying it to your rhetoric.
A big thing I was told is to really think about what you want to say before saying it, and I think this can apply to everyone. A lot of people believe in the idea that their thought will be lost if they don't get it out immediately, but they never consider if that thought was something that wasn't already answered or even worthwhile. You can lessen the amount of times you need to reiterate yourself by making sure you're following these guidelines.

-
Know yourself/Applying nuance to your play.
No Mafia player plays the same. You should not seek to imitate a certain style because it's hard to understand the nuance that comes with it. I'm not sure if that's what people do these days, but if you want to really stand out and feel like you matter in a game, you will develop a playstyle that will be easily recognizable and your own. Understanding what works for you is crucial to developing as a Mafia player, and benefits everyone in the long run.

--

Conclusion

I just want to say thanks for reading this if you do, and that anyone should feel free to ask questions about anything I discussed. I am not going to treat myself as the perfect Mafia player nor am I going to assume that everything I said is absolutely right, because I would like to represent the things that I have said here. I believe that if we all work together, MS can be an enjoyable and great place to play again, therefore I remain optimistic in what it can be. I know I didn't cover everything, and I'm sure there's a lot to disagree with, but feel free to do so.
Last edited by Bomberman on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bomberman
Bomberman
Goon
Bomberman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:10 am

Post by Bomberman »

Lmao look at this stupid tryhard post I made
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:27 am

Post by Korts »

I have only skimmed your main bullet points so far, but those are pretty spot on. Good stuff. This could be a useful thread to link in certain game situations.
scumchat never die
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:30 am

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

In post 1, Bomberman wrote:Lmao look at this stupid tryhard post I made
This was my thought as soon I saw the title :lol:

This is a good read though and is exactly what a lot of people need to start doing in order for the site to move away from the toxic behavior that currently plagues it.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:32 am

Post by mykonian »

the day we needed someone from EM to explain us the game ;)

<3
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Bomberman
Bomberman
Goon
Bomberman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:35 am

Post by Bomberman »

In post 4, mykonian wrote:the day we needed someone from EM to explain us the game ;)

<3
I was a forum player before EM, and even then I was known for an 'analytical' playstyle lol
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:46 am

Post by mykonian »

I've played there, no worries.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:31 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

I think this should be published to the wiki as a player guide. I know this was made in response to a current meta, but I think the points made are universally true and even complete newbies would benefit from reading it.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:11 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

Agreed.

In general you can derive a lot of these just by taking the time and putting yourself in other people's positions and thinking about what they feel. I expect this will sound condescending or arrogant, but it's bizarre to me how people forget or neglect to do this, when
literally
trying to see other people's point of view is how you scumhunt or should be how you try to read people anyways. Like, isn't the crux of the game is understanding how people think or feel and then cooperating with your team to act on that information? Nobody gets anything from doing well if they can't translate that into a win, at least on town anyways.
deranged and incoherent
?
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:32 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

In post 0, Bomberman wrote:- Logic trumps all. At the end of the day, the person who wins is the person whom is being the most logical. Logic can be applied through understanding the gamestate and applying what you know to advance it further. Logic is using your cognition to make decisions based on evidence. A lot of players these days simply ignore logic and focus on either one thing at a time, or too many things at a time. There are a lot of assumptions that are made that only lead to incomplete thought, therefore it is hard to follow. This is easily rectified by exerting behavior that makes it seem like you know what you are talking about. Mafia is in a sense is a form of heightened debate, and you will go a lot farther if you apply logic to your arguments, instead of baseless assumptions.
Mmm, I'd be a careful not to take this too far though. Obviously when you are scumhunting you want to be logical, and avoid making dumb assumptions, especially for things like setup spec.

But if we're talking about how town should work together, I think there is a risk in "Logic trumps all". There are many people who will sound more logical and make better arguments as scum than the majority of town, and if you make the game too much about this then you could be left vulnerable. I think there is a place for intuition based play, and sometimes the person winning the argument or being the most rational is the scum you lynch even if you can't express it in a convincing rational way.
deranged and incoherent
?
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:39 am

Post by Titus »

Further point, this supposes town are all logical and have a solid information base. Also, being illogical sometimes a better play than being logical. For instance, claiming macho as bp and bp as macho is strictly superior in most cases.

Scum can also frame people. So can the setup.

Tonal reading and motivation seeking can filter these errors.

No one is purely logical, and determining where logic gaps are helps.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:09 am

Post by Human Sequencer »

In post 10, Titus wrote:Also, being illogical sometimes a better play than being logical.
that's a titus quote if i ever saw one
nah
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Pretty damn good post bomberman, can't say I have read whole thing yet but when I get more time, I will.
Stuff I read I really liked.

Id love to have you contribute to my charisma/mafia thread.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 11, Human Sequencer wrote:
In post 10, Titus wrote:Also, being illogical sometimes a better play than being logical.
Play with Cerberus and Drixx scum enough, and you will see what I mean.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Post by Human Sequencer »

Never said I disagreed.
nah
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 0, Bomberman wrote:Allowing everyone to speak. If you think about it in laymen's terms, cooperation is something that is taught in grade school. When you need to work with someone on a project, what type of environment do you feel is most beneficial? Is it someone who directs the ideas for everyone and commands leadership by speaking the most, or is it when everyone is able to speak their mind? Letting people get their thoughts out and having their say may allow you to see a perspective you did not see prior.
The best strategy for group projects in school has always been assuming the leadership role because 7/10 times, your partner(s) do 20% of the work you do.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 10, Titus wrote:For instance, claiming macho as bp and bp as macho is strictly superior in most cases.
This isn't a matter of logic, IMO. In some cases, i.e. if you think that there won't be any conflicts in the setup and you think you'll be able to influence scum's actions with it, this can be a perfectly logical thing to do. Just because it's viscerally "wrong" in the eyes of many MS players who will repeat the mantra of never fakeclaiming, doesn't make it illogical.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Post by BBmolla »

I don't think respecting idiots with wrong and bad opinions is going to help the team

maybe it's just me tho
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

I think if you spend your time disrespecting people you think are wrong and have bad opinions then you aren't focusing on the right things.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:06 am

Post by Antihero »

In post 11, Human Sequencer wrote:
it also happens to be true
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 7, Alchemist21 wrote:I think this should be published to the wiki as a player guide.
If Bomberman doesn't put it on there I will, because uh yeah this is something which should in fact be on the wiki. It's a very good read.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 17, BBmolla wrote:I don't think respecting idiots with wrong and bad opinions is going to help the team
maybe it's just me tho
In post 18, Cheetory6 wrote:I think if you spend your time disrespecting people you think are wrong and have bad opinions then you aren't focusing on the right things.
In my experience, often, if you find yourself disrespecting people you think are wrong with bad opinions, then when the game is over, surprise!
...You'll learn the person who was wrong with bad opinions was
you

An innate part of playing the game well is recognizing that you are playing it with others. Even if your reads
are
, in fact, perfect, you need to convince others of this. "I'm right and you're not, because I'm a god and you're a piece of trash" is...no matter how true you may think it to be, a really shitty way of garnering support. (Do as I say not as I do by the way. :P)
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 21, mastina wrote:I'm right and you're not, because I'm a god
I see nothing wrong with this playstyle as a matter of course.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Bomberman
Bomberman
Goon
Bomberman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:41 am

Post by Bomberman »

In post 20, mastina wrote:
In post 7, Alchemist21 wrote:I think this should be published to the wiki as a player guide.
If Bomberman doesn't put it on there I will, because uh yeah this is something which should in fact be on the wiki. It's a very good read.
I have no clue how to do so honestly lol
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:04 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

In post 22, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 21, mastina wrote:I'm right and you're not, because I'm a god
I see nothing wrong with this playstyle as a matter of course.
bc then no one will listen to you.
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget

Return to “Mafia Discussion”