Introducing the family to mafia via card game...

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Geralt of Rivia
Geralt of Rivia
Goon
Geralt of Rivia
Goon
Goon

Introducing the family to mafia via card game...

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Post by Geralt of Rivia »

I'm the only one that plays any version of mafia, having heard about it on my "home site."

I ordered the card deck from this site and am planning on introducing it to my family at our next holiday get together or whenever. I've run my own games on my home site in the past and my usual style of modding is to pretty much cause mayhem with the puppets dancing on my strings as I quietly watch the chaos unfold.

There are 12 potential victims, er players and I think at least 10 out of the 12 will play.

Out of the 10, 3 are in some area of law enforcement, one is a known bullshitter during card games, one is a compulsive bluffer and one is an addicted gambler.

I was thinking of a setup that is more or less normal closed:

3 Mafia Goons
1 Mafia Godfather
3 Vanilla town
1 Town Cop (Normal Sanity)
1 Town Cop (Insane variant)
1 Town Doc (Normal)

With the possibility of me throwing in one or two of:

1 Shot Bullet proof (Town)
1 Town Watcher or Tracker type role
A One shot Vigilante

After a couple of beers, this should be fun...
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:06 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

i feel like godfather might be harsh on newbies as they wont have any reason to suspect investigations can be correct? still, if you're going for mayhem it should be entertaining :D
also if drinking is involved always throw in a vigilante.
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:25 am

Post by KittyMo »

4:7 with questionable sanity PRs seems scumsided even for f2f
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
Geralt of Rivia
Geralt of Rivia
Goon
Geralt of Rivia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:42 am

I could always drop the scum to 3 or 2.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:50 am

Post by Lycanfire »

There's a few things wrong with the set up. The fact it leads to a day 2 lylo, how the LE relatives could signal to each other that they're cops (assuming you are personally handing them roles as a joke as it seems to be implied) and force a best-case scenario for town (that is still pretty bad, but the only shot the town has) day 1. Adding another PR just moves the problem to a forced N2 save. I feel like these are all circumstances that are anti-fun.

Rather than complain any more about it I'll offer advice instead.

- Play an open set up or show all the players some stock roles before the game begins. If the game is closed, the scum deserve to have an idea of what to fakeclaim instead of "townsperson" or "an investigator that does the investigatey thing". Introduce some scum roles to town, so it isn't obvious you're putting in a godfather, which has to be introduced to the town to give them any chance if you give scum that role in this set up.
-Drop the number of scum down. If you're playing with people that like a challenge and don't care about losing, 3 scum can be okay (day 2 mylo instead of lylo). Consider 2. First timers in live mafia won't get the anti-scum buff. Since the mafia will also be new, throwing them a PR is a great idea.
-If you give town a PR beyond the cop duo at 8:2 I think both scum should get a PR. If it's a doctor, a roleblocker becomes a necessity.
Boonskiies
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
That's Not All, Folks!

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:56 pm

Post by Boonskiies »

Friends and Enemies works really well in f2f.

Goons and Masons. You can play it without having a mod as well, and just have the person lynched Day 1 state who was killed the first night. (requires a lynch Day 1, of course).

F2F typically works best when there's not a whole lot of night actions to worry about.

On to your setup, though, 4 mafia is quite a bit. with 12 people, 3 could be fine, but anything less than that would be difficult without some mechanic to balance it out (nightless/vengeful townie for Vt's Day 1 only/etc...)
You could play it with "potential" pr's in the game, rather than have all those roles, like get your Vt's and such ready, then mix up the PR's, and randomize which ones get put into the game.

Typically open or semi-open games work best for f2f, especially if they've never played mafia before.
"Let it be known that almost everything Boonskiies said is either hilarious or annoying." - Shinobi

Yes, I'm
Flavor Leaf
. That's my main; I just mod on
Boonskiies
Geralt of Rivia
Geralt of Rivia
Goon
Geralt of Rivia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:50 pm

In post 5, Boonskiies wrote:Friends and Enemies works really well in f2f.

Goons and Masons. You can play it without having a mod as well, and just have the person lynched Day 1 state who was killed the first night. (requires a lynch Day 1, of course).

F2F typically works best when there's not a whole lot of night actions to worry about.

On to your setup, though, 4 mafia is quite a bit. with 12 people, 3 could be fine, but anything less than that would be difficult without some mechanic to balance it out (nightless/vengeful townie for Vt's Day 1 only/etc...)
You could play it with "potential" pr's in the game, rather than have all those roles, like get your Vt's and such ready, then mix up the PR's, and randomize which ones get put into the game.

Typically open or semi-open games work best for f2f, especially if they've never played mafia before.

Maybe I will try something like that. If I subject them to some of the more twisted game setups I've used before, they may never play again.

Believe it or not, on my home site we had a game with 6 bus drivers. It was a nightmare, not my idea however.
Boonskiies
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
Boonskiies
That's Not All, Folks!
That's Not All, Folks!

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:50 pm

Post by Boonskiies »

Oh god...6 bus drivers, haha.
"Let it be known that almost everything Boonskiies said is either hilarious or annoying." - Shinobi

Yes, I'm
Flavor Leaf
. That's my main; I just mod on
Boonskiies

Return to “Mafia Discussion”