Balancing games with cult faction....?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Sunlit Diamond
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Balancing games with cult faction....?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Post by Sunlit Diamond »

Hola. *waves*

I've modded simple games before, but I'm on to something more complicated with some friends and I was wondering: in an 18-22 person game, is there any feasible way to have a balanced game if there is a cult involved?

For context, the game I'm building is Doctor Who themed and I want to re-flavor the cultists as cybermen....but not if it's going to ohgodbreakeverything as the wiki page suggests it will. :lol:
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:30 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

I played on a site that considered cults as normal. They always won except in cases they lost their leader early.

I modded a game with a cult and reviewed other games with them as well. Site meta dictated PRs added purely to eliminate cult. For instance in my game, I gave the SK a two-shot lightning rodifier that had the highest priority in the game. This guaranteed the cult would be revealed, but despite that they managed to endgame the SK.

I co-modded an explicitly bastard game (which would be bastard+ here) where I suggested the cult be a self aligned player (they were an anarchist/musician character) and made their convertees survivors so the 'cult' would not outright win. This was well received... and the cult, for once, did not win.

Merging cult and mafia is another idea, but cults are always swingy.

Basically:
-run a giant game
-force the cult out
-give the town means to contain the cult
-consider alternatives

Cults will never be balanced. All you can hope is to deliver an enjoyable game. For this purpose cults are more trouble than they are worth.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:22 pm

Post by Alisae »

GTKAS
| here.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:52 am

Post by Nero Cain »

just use a non-recruiting cult. It functions the same as a mafia team but allows you to use cult flavor.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:37 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=70506
this game had a pretty balanced cult. the trick is to gate their ability to recruit in some way.
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:12 am

Post by callforjudgement »

The major balance problem with cults is that they recruit faster than you can lynch them. Typically, therefore, the only way to win is to lynch the leader, but that becomes harder as the game goes on because the other cultists clearly won't let you get away with that if they can help it. (Note that lynching a
cultist
, other than the leader, doesn't really help town at all when a standard cult is in use; their only real advantage is from the information they gain from the flip.)

In order to fix this, therefore, you need to slow down the rate at which the cult recruits so that the town can keep pace with the cult. Another bonus is that if you do this, you can sometimes make it so that there isn't a single vulnerable cult leader, thus making things a lot less swingy.

As an idea of the sort of things you should be looking at, here's a suggestion (aimed at 18-22 player games like the one you suggest): make a cult which can't recruit if it recruited a member the previous night, and can't recruit if a cultist died that night or the previous night, but which doesn't have a specific leader (i.e. any member can recruit); and also ensure that the playerlist as a whole knows about the presence of the cult and the rules governing it. Town can thus beat a cult of any size by accurately lynching it once every two nights.

As a side note, games including a cult typically shouldn't have other major anti-town factions (as this causes very large kingmaker problems as each faction needs to choose which opposing faction it wants to work on eliminating first), but if you do include other anti-town players (either factions or self-aligned players like Serial Killers), they should be completely immune to recruitment, otherwise Bad Things tend to happen to your setup's balance.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Post by Mulch »

Bad Things lol
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:13 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Don't let a groupscum get recruited or things go sooooo bad
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Sunlit Diamond
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Post by Sunlit Diamond »

Thank you for the great advice!

I ended up dropping the cult element because I decided that no matter how I implemented it, it would go sideways in a no-fun-for-anyone kind of way, given the meta where it will be hosted. The game I came up with is chaos personified even without it, so...we'll see how it goes... <_<
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:25 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 7, Gamma Emerald wrote:Don't let a groupscum get recruited or things go sooooo bad
See: LordJVK's game on MU :lol:
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:28 pm

Post by Creature »

The hardest part is not encouraging town to just let themselves get recruited.
Sigh
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

I played an offsite game that was force abandonned because myself and my fellow cultasio managed to convince the town to hammer town in mylo. It was amazing.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”