Theoretical mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Would you play this in the future?

Yes
No votes
Not interested (explain)
100%
Yes, but it needs tweaking first (explain)
No votes

Total votes: 5

Dragnalus
Dragnalus
Goon
Dragnalus
Goon
Goon

Theoretical mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:44 am

Post by Dragnalus »

It's called theoretical because it's only been made in concept. I'm always interested in trying to play different variants of mafia and greatly enjoy games with some altercations in mechanics, therefore I try and think about setups that I could attempt to run without the risk of it being horribly unbalanced and unfun.

That aside, here's the concept I was working with, which does not include specific roles, because I haven't thought about them.

Premise:

12 players. 6 Mafia and 6 Town. The game will be based strictly around one-on-one between two players chosen by random from each faction on n0. These two players will have about 3 IRL days to convince the other players that the other is not Mafia. If town is correct, they gain a point. If mafia gets through, they gain a point. Instead of merely winning by majority, the faction that gains the most points will win in the end. This means that instead of it being based on majority, it is based on statistics. The first faction to reach 6 points will win the game. The player who does not go through will be eliminated, and will be removed from the game. I will use a separate PT for eliminated players but also for the players who are spectating, where people may discuss who they believe is Mafia. Votes will work like nominations, and will be done in private. The player with the most nominations in the end will be eliminated. I initially thought a normal majority would work, but the even faction count may lead to some problems.

Risks:

I'm worried about activity most of all and trying to fit roles into this scenario. Mafia will not have a factional night-kill but there will be a night to sort things out. I'll take any suggestions, even if it's slandering my premise because It's not nearly enough fleshed out to be a true setup just quite yet, which is why I want it to be discussed here.

P.S It's not open setup so I didn't put it in the open setup subthread.
I'm driving the car, but I'm not the owner
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:00 am

Post by chamber »

First, I don't think this qualifies as mafia.

Second, Now that you've talked about it openly you'll have trouble ever running it.
Taking a break from the site.
Dragnalus
Dragnalus
Goon
Dragnalus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:02 am

Post by Dragnalus »

How so? Two factions against the other both with a wincon featuring a form of debate.

I'm not gonna submit an idea that I don't fully entrust or doesn't have roles to accompany it yet, therefore if it never comes to light then it's likely not a good idea.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:51 am

Post by BBmolla »

In post 2, Dragnalus wrote:How so? Two factions against the other both with a wincon featuring a form of debate.

I'm not gonna submit an idea that I don't fully entrust or doesn't have roles to accompany it yet, therefore if it never comes to light then it's likely not a good idea.
Mafia is normally defined as an informed minority vs. uninformed majority.
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:58 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

What would you debate
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

seems fine to me. It's basically a bunch of gladitors. The only slight problem with this is scum could easily strong arm lynches so for this to work scum shouldn't be told who thier scum team is.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Post by Antihero »

In post 5, Nero Cain wrote:seems fine to me. It's basically a bunch of gladitors. The only slight problem with this is scum could easily strong arm lynches so for this to work scum shouldn't be told who thier scum team is.
then there's no informed minority --> not mafia
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

My main issue is there's nothing driving the game afaik, you expect reasoning to come from nothing. It feels like such a crapshoot.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Dragnalus
Dragnalus
Goon
Dragnalus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Post by Dragnalus »

I'm gauging responses and tinkering with it in my head. The concept I want to focus is the seperate threads for discussion, and the one on one mechanic. If this can be balanced through altercations I am all for it.

I don't understand where people said there isn't mafia, because it would be town against mafia in the end. Would like more opinions on the point distribution idea too.
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:46 pm

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

In post 7, Gamma Emerald wrote:My main issue is there's nothing driving the game afaik, you expect reasoning to come from nothing. It feels like such a crapshoot.
this

i'd probably change the ratio so that there's a 2-3 person team and have a D1 lynch a la a regular game
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

☭ I'm coming for that toothbrush ☭
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:21 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 8, Dragnalus wrote:I'm gauging responses and tinkering with it in my head. The concept I want to focus is the seperate threads for discussion, and the one on one mechanic. If this can be balanced through altercations I am all for it.

I don't understand where people said there isn't mafia, because it would be town against mafia in the end. Would like more opinions on the point distribution idea too.
There is no informed minority because there is no minority or majority because the teams are equal.

It's why this isn't mafia either
https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... list][list][/list][/list][/list]
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:32 am

Post by Gammagooey »

The idea for it seems workable but I'm not sure why you have even teams or how the voting actually works - do mafia know each other? if so it looks like the mafia win almost immediately since they'll be able to outvote the town if they win the first round, and all mafia would vote for their teammate the first round. If not, what's the 'game' aspect of it, how are mafia and town different and how can the townspeople theoretically figure that out?

You could also change it so that only town votes count towards the winner of each round, but then likely people will try to figure out who the mafia are through voting schemes and using that.

The best 'version' of this in my opinion would be to have a normalish sized mafia team (probably 3, you could likely get away with 4 if that works better with the mechanics but you'd have to be very careful of allowing situations where town can just auto-lose after a couple of mafia round wins) and have no points be awarded if both sides of the one-on-one were town.
Dragnalus
Dragnalus
Goon
Dragnalus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Post by Dragnalus »

I like suggestions thus far and will rework the OP in due time.
DrumBeats
DrumBeats
Mafia Scum
DrumBeats
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:44 am

Post by DrumBeats »

If you wanted to keep the equal sized teams in effect too, you could multiball it with 3-4 factions with or without private communication. Random player is selected to be the gladiator at night and they choose their target.
"Welcome to Whose Line is it Anyway folks where the reasoning's made up and the reads don't matter."
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

Regardless of whether or not this is technically mafia, it won't be enjoyable unless the two factions have a lot more functional asymmetry
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:05 am

Post by vonflare »

The game as described is not mafia.

Also, why even bother naming the sides town and mafia if they both have the same number of players? Unless you're implying that the mafia knows who each other are? In which case town could never win.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”