An axiomatic approach to scum hunting

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

An axiomatic approach to scum hunting

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

There's too many scumtells on this site and I can never remember the reasoning behind their validity. I would like to discuss a set of propositions from which all legitimate scum tells should be able to be derived from. For simplicity we will assume some sort of mountainous setup (which is a good enough model for D1, where tells are the most questionable).

1) The respective wincons of the two factions.

2) The town always has a larger population than the mafia.

3) The mafia are informed of their team members. The town are not.

4) Mafia will be lynched if their alignment is proven.
Last edited by Flubbernugget on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

Tells derived from the above propositions:

1)
At least one mafia must lie to win.
Proof: If the mafia all admit they are scum, they will all be lynched by proposition 4. As such, if the mafia do not lie, they will lose by proposition 1(wincons).
Last edited by Flubbernugget on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

Expect propositions and proofs to be modified in the OP
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Post by Mulch »

This is bad for towns, it's gonna make us like robots and mechanically when scumhunting is a fluid process.

Not the worst idea, but I think this is an overall negative thing for town play
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:05 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

A thread like this should never come to the forefront of someone's posting in an actual game but that doesn't mean it's not useful
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:10 am

Post by Creature »

Town should just note that scum will aim to do whatever town does nowadays.
Sigh
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

So what? We're supposed to derive tells from propositions that are either basic facts of mafia games or that are just common sense?

I agree with mulch that scumhunting is too fluid for something like this. Even if a tell is valid at first, scum will adapt and it breaks the tell.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

In post 5, Creature wrote:Town should just note that scum will aim to do whatever town does nowadays.
In post 6, Alchemist21 wrote:So what? We're supposed to derive tells from propositions that are either basic facts of mafia games or that are just common sense?

I agree with mulch that scumhunting is too fluid for something like this. Even if a tell is valid at first, scum will adapt and it breaks the tell.
forcing scum to play suboptimally makes towns relatively stronger

i consider my scumplay to be too bad to comment much from the scumside. what little i would have to say on the subject is basically the extent of my repertoire.
Junpei
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Junpei
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:42 pm

Post by Junpei »

Your axiomatic system isn't very formal.

I don't think you can get much traction with just these axioms, I think you need to make more ambitious assumptions to get anywhere (as well as adding a wide range of less ambitious ones).

For instance, the proposition "mafia will respond to a mafia partner's post differently than if that post had come from a townsperson with the same posting history" obviously needs to be admitted into the system. But it requires the lemma that individuals choose actions based on all available knowledge, otherwise mafia could simply ignore the fact that someone is their mafia partner (in principle). So now we're in a framework of bounded rationality, which is immediately problematic because people post from their beds, from the bus, etc, and many posters on this site insight on throwing away logic and using their "gut".

It still may be useful to know what people would do in this framework and how we should react to peoples' behavior if they were rational, but as is obvious now, this system of yours is going to have to assume a lot to get anywhere. You're also going to have to construct abstract objects to represent types of signals, and describe the relationships between these signals. It sounds interesting, I must admit, but I don't have time to mess around with this.
The melody of logic always plays the notes of truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA41ggsdeXE

Return to “Mafia Discussion”