Threatening Reporting

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Threatening Reporting

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:16 pm

Post by Firebringer »

I don't know if this is a new trend but I kind of see more games go where someone says they are going to report something in game and post "I am reporting this" in the game thread.

I see no value in this beyond antagonizing/raising toxicity, and aggression in a game.

Either:

A) the person did something report worthy and the game mod or list mods will handle it.

B) they didn't do something report worthy and you're just provoking a person in order for them to get A.

Can someone who does this point out your reasoning for posting that?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Post by mastina »

Reports are meant to be private.
If you're being public about them, ur doing it rong.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:07 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 1, mastina wrote:Reports are meant to be private.
If you're being public about them, ur doing it rong.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:18 pm

Post by Alisae »

Reported
ur bout 2 git beanned kiddo
say goodbye to your account.
GTKAS
| here.
Lang Buddha
Lang Buddha
Goon
Lang Buddha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:56 am

Post by Lang Buddha »

In post 3, Alisae wrote:Reported
ur bout 2 git
beanned
kiddo
say goodbye to your account.
Ahh, this is precisely what a Bean would do, man. Threaten with a report and even allege the person
e
threatens to be the bean, ya ya.
A general
Spoiler: definition of beaning
The most defining characteristic of a Bean post is its pointlessness, other than to invert the constructive flow of ideas and their transmission, to assert a form of dominance of its proprietor over the target post. Only by belittling the effort, value, relevance or purpose of the target post is the bean able to legitimize his or her lack of purpose, relevance, value and effort, and he or she does this via unwarranted assumptions of the proprietor of the target.

For you see, the more effort, value, relevance and purpose the targeted post has, the more of a rush a bean gets upon pressing 'Post' and awaiting its consequences, within the safe confines of his/her overflatulated dwelling -- psychologically speaking.

Beans who are going to make a new account and post the insult with that are funny because they're at least putting in the extra effort, and therefore cannot be beans; more on that later. A bean is going to try to first and foremost foster a history of pseudo-usefulness to the community, that amounts in what others ought to perceive as a buffer of untouchability, because the more seemingly standard-abiding posts a bean accumulates the more impact he/she preemptively imbues his/her bean post with. That's why you see them commenting on the most mundane stuff, saying shit just to seem helpful or, and this is the crux of this paragraph, integrated, as if to gather caliber for their opinion; carrying weight; representing; acting like they're at the forefront of this established army of freethinking but like-minded in their rejection spectrum people, the people who form the elite authorities on what is what.

A false paradox would be to assume that this is a way of making an effort. It's pre-target-post effort, and has no purpose other than to roll the persona snowball onward, until it's big enough to be thrown at someone's face, preferably someone engaged in doing something more useful than the bean could ever hope to have imagined himself doing, looking susceptible to sabotage, hopefully reducing him or her to the bean's level by making him or her want to return the favor, and abandon his or her constructive undertaking, so the bean won't feel so alone. So he or she doesn't need to rethink his or her values either, upon having witnessed someone raising the bar far beyond his or her reach.

And that is why passing judgement as to whether it is in fact beaning, and determining its extent of gravity and calamity to the OP are inseparable from the target post, and the context of the medium, with all its dimensions like the bean's history on the site. Each post should therefore be scrutinized in establishing the true mentality of the bean -- whether it's anchored in something genuinely substance-laden or a superficial disguise from where to strike from whenever he or she thinks he or she can get away with it, being left romanticizing his or her involvement in the psyche of everyone who read his or her bean post.. alas having achieved permanence -- for whatever the OP was building there there is thus incontestable proof of the bean having been involved in it, even if its just a bit of delay.

The worst that can come from misunderstanding what constitutes beaning is the putting on a pedestal -- reserved for those who are genuinely building circuits of awesomeness for all to benefit from, of people who are unable to however slowly, slightly advance towards, or even turn towards a direction remotely resembling that of the trajectory of awesomeness, because then people who don't know how to create value gain the ability to represent it and reap its primary perk: authority.

If there ever was such a thing as the perfect quantifiable reward for having caused something good or elegant to happen as a result of having done effort, or to a lesser degree at least attempting that finality, then it's the orgasm, the universal currency of base-level maximum joy. Whether we are conscious of it or not, every time we see someone do something awesome and enjoying the resulting empathy, we are imagining that we are giving out orgasms, a finite and valuable commodity we could have kept for our selves, but at one time or another one has to recognize that someone abided by a a high standard or even raised it, and every time that happens someone who is part of the solution -- not the problem, will go through this mental process of donating a gasm.

It is best to believe that there is an objective way of telling what is valuable -- as in deserving of being rewarded with a gasm -- and to a further extent of the beautification of the circumstances of achieving it, and to entask one's natural curiosity to mapping out that objectivity, and to profit from conforming and excelling at supplying it, accessible by the specific demand in an ever-changing environment. Beans either honestly fail to harmonize at this, by tuning their online or real life endeavors to serve selfish and infantile goals, falling short on dedicating effort to generate value with a noble purpose, and achieve a delivery with superlative relevance to the receivers, or even themselves before clicking Post, or they fail willfully by confining their intentions to a malicious spectrum ranging from sheer unwillingness to treat a singular post with the according respect to being a beaning fanatic.

In the case of the former, the bean has himself or herself to blame if that is the case, but a society is to blame if it happens on a regular basis, for it is surely the misallocation of authority, and its uninspired application that left room for the perversion of being convinced to deserve a gasm for posts like this one. Whether effort, noble purpose, relevance and value are tuned according to objective awesomeness evaluation or not can only be said for certain once a post has been emulated to be perceived the way the poster perceived it, and to insinuate a poster is insane is more often then not a declaration of refusal to do so.

The constellation of these 4 cardinal elements that warrant a post being posted can be obscure, and builders might find joy in taking readers on a ride to explore its extent, easing into it at first, but the time spent exploring is time spent doing something other than asserting dominance or superiority, or in the most perverse cases parading having supposedly righteously decided -- for everyone who might see the target post and be influenced by it, that it's not worth their time, and genuinely believing to have done a service to oneself and the hive mind, by signaling it as such.

If a bean has all of the above negative characteristics, and doesn't mind being part of the problem and thus not attempting to redeem oneself by giving gasms, or if broke making it so as to replenish one's stash thereof and then giving some of them to those who build -- instead of those who can't and therefore risk devaluating one's brand with only oneself and to a lesser extent society to blame -- for making it too hard to pursue objective awesomeness research, the next step is to exercise subtlety and brevity. The former to extend longevity of haphazard masturbating at the expense of the universal value of a gasm, and the latter to insinuate common-sense, the twisting to suit the beans agenda of which is the most effective method to gasmblock someone, i.e. to not only abstain from rightfully donating a gasm to someone who deserves it, but also skewing or contesting the applicability of jurisdiction of the logic governing gasm distribution for the case in question, and furthermore claim it to be a measure rooted in common-sense -- that is it would be silly to beg to differ, and ultimately truly achieving to sabotage gasm income, resulting in a lackluster yield of gasms and destabilization of post value (effort, purpose and relevance) to gasm ratio.

If the bean succeeds, his or her deeds are unpunished, is left to rave unhinged while gasms are unaccounted for, why would anyone make quality posts? Given enough time people will even lose a sense of what a quality post is, and then suddenly a bean can get away with deluding himself that his or her posts truly deserve gasms, and pretty soon the only ones on the site are those who ceaselessly have to belittle others to stand strong in this belief. If you ignore the bean, the bean will win. If you ignore the builder because you got your values mixed up, and you somehow are left in the belief that a builder is a bean, the beans of the past have already won, and the builders of the future will be too frustrated to do what they do best -- deliver quality posts, because it feels like carrying the collective weight of a thousand beans' inadequacy upon having posted an adequate, not to mention excelling one, and instead of basking in morally awesome-abiding righteously handed out gasms, one perceives the poverty of gasm hyperinflation and misappropriation, and it's them who are sad, the bean not so much.

The assumption develops that beans exist in a separate value continuum. Their dwelling needs little ventilation, yet they refuse to do it. Perhaps it's because if they insinuate that the grandiose and glorious posting endeavors of their fellow forumites have an unpleasant odor to them, and bring it closer to resemble the way their fart cushion of an accommodation reeks like, they can tap into and level with the value continuum of builders, and stand as their equal, with little to no effort spent, which has to mean they are superior by natural law, because in their mind project magnitude, content hierarchy, difficulty and elegance do not compute.

Natural law states that for equal amount of success, the individual who invested less resources and energy to generate the same amount of assets that are relevant for quantification as the other, is the victor. As an extension of this people like to think that if they had spent the same time and energy someone else has, that they would've achieved superior results, and therefore like to make excuses, which is a sure way of not adding additional value to one's post and instead belittling that of others, and ultimately silly, common-sense-wise.

The object of forums cannot be to inflate the capacity and substance of a post to a degree one would otherwise not have achieved without referring to RL. As a valid extension of this logic it should be reproachable when someone makes unwarranted assumptions of a supposed insufficiency inherent in the post, pertaining to an alleged RL mental condition that should make it so as to disqualify the value remuneration of the post. Whether the alleged information is the truth or a lie, there is no sensible argument in favor of publishing the supposition, more so, as I've clearly stated, if the target post is one that could potentially harbor legitimacy for the effort brought about in its creation, if the effort shouldn't suffice to stand as a clear deterrent for making malicious assumptions all by itself.

Generally, further interaction between the proprietor of the target post and the person suspected of beaning him or her with his/her post in question is to be desired to weed out any possible misunderstanding, however, as stated, that may not be what the drive-by oneliner bean perceives as his or her best interest, and he or she has all the defenses that lack of collective intelligence, unfit reprisal of civilization's authorities -- i.e. failure to amalgamate value production and authority, and society's negligence leave at his/her disposal. Tools which he/she'll use by basically not doing anything, automatically upholding the problem, more so leaving it in a state in which it can potentially aggravate itself.

The problem is not lying to oneself, but the fact that it obstructs people to feel good about themselves when they produced something that deserves being dished out gasms for.
and why it should be banned, aka beanned, man.

In addition to the last line, I'd add that threatening to report a post is blackmail with the attempt to assert dominance over the way someone posts, in a belittling way, alright? and is therefore confirmed beaning, mhm-hm.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:16 am

Post by chamber »

In post 0, Firebringer wrote:I don't know if this is a new trend but I kind of see more games go where someone says they are going to report something in game and post "I am reporting this" in the game thread.

I see no value in this beyond antagonizing/raising toxicity, and aggression in a game.

Either:

A) the person did something report worthy and the game mod or list mods will handle it.

B) they didn't do something report worthy and you're just provoking a person in order for them to get A.

Can someone who does this point out your reasoning for posting that?
A few flaws. 1, list-mods can take a long time to take action on things. 2 game mods don't see reports. 3 It's possible a player found something distasteful to the level of reporting it without the list-mods deeming it actionable. It still makes sense to try and resolve that between players in that case. The problem doesn't go away just because the list-mods choose not to act.
Taking a break from the site.
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:45 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

I think there's merit to the idea that most people who say "I'm reporting you" are trying to escalate the situation out of a place of "you're being a bad person, look at how bad you are I want to make you feel bad for what you did or piss you off more" rather than something along the lines of "I'm reporting this, please stop because you're playing in a way that is unacceptable."
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:48 am

Post by chamber »

Sure. Most things can be done in ways that should be discouraged. I just think firebringers blanket statement doesn't make much sense, nor does mastina's response. Reports are kept private by default for the protection of the reporter, if they are outing it themselve's, who gives a shit?
Taking a break from the site.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:52 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 5, chamber wrote:A few flaws. 1, list-mods can take a long time to take action on things. 2 game mods don't see reports. 3 It's possible a player found something distasteful to the level of reporting it without the list-mods deeming it actionable. It still makes sense to try and resolve that between players in that case. The problem doesn't go away just because the list-mods choose not to act.
Yes, but the proper move is to refer the issue to the game mod in question by pm rather than using the report function.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:10 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 8, Ircher wrote:
In post 5, chamber wrote:A few flaws. 1, list-mods can take a long time to take action on things. 2 game mods don't see reports. 3 It's possible a player found something distasteful to the level of reporting it without the list-mods deeming it actionable. It still makes sense to try and resolve that between players in that case. The problem doesn't go away just because the list-mods choose not to act.
Yes, but the proper move is to refer the issue to the game mod in question by pm rather than using the report function.
I think both should be done, depending on the situation. Sometimes just the game mod needs the report, sometimes both the game mod and the listmods need the report.

There was a thing in the last newbie I modded where one of the players thought (mistakenly, it eventually turned out) that one of the newbies was an alt of an experienced player so they reported it to me instead of the listmods when it would have been better to report it to the listmods (who have the tools to find out whether that's the case or not) instead of me (who doesn't have those tools and don't see a need to take action unless a listmod says there's a problem).

If it's a problem like discussing an ongoing game then the game mod need to know (to force replace the player), the list mods need to know, and the mod of the other game needs to know.

If someone's being mean to someone else thenthe game mod need to know (to tell people to cool it down) but it depends on what we mean by "mean" -- is it abusive, is is breaking site rules, is it a pattern across games (then the listmods need to know too and someone may need to be replaced), if it's just "this person is breaking the 'keep it fun' rule but it's not really crossing a line and it gets resolved with a "tone it done a bit, guys" from the mod) then only the game mod needs to know I think.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:11 am

Post by Plotinus »

tl;dr: when in doubt, send a PM to the game mod AND use the report button.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:31 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 10, Plotinus wrote:tl;dr: when in doubt, send a PM to the game mod AND use the report button.
I guess that's fair.

I just think not at least sending the game mod pm when you are reporting is bad practice.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:53 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

Yeah you should let the mod know so that they are prepared for any action or whatever
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:47 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 5, chamber wrote:few flaws. 1, list-mods can take a long time to take action on things. 2 game mods don't see reports. 3 It's possible a player found something distasteful to the level of reporting it without the list-mods deeming it actionable. It still makes sense to try and resolve that between players in that case. The problem doesn't go away just because the list-mods choose not to act.
I get what you are saying here and I don't disagree I just don't think telling someone you are reporting them resolved anything in a healthy manner.

I think there's more constructive ways to deal with people who are out of control and telling them "hey I am reporting you" is unnecessary because what's the purpose of that statement?

Does telling someone they are breaking rules that can result in punishment actually change behavior. I don't think so, more likely they get defensive about their actions and continue acting way they have been because you put them in confrontational mindset with "I am reporting you"

If someone said that to you in game, ignoring whatever lead up to that point.
Does that allow for continued dialogue and less hostility?

It's like going up to your neighbors who are being too loud and telling them that you called the police on them for their disruptive behavior. You aren't trying to mend or come to mutual respectful behavior, your just making your relationship with neighbor worse or in this case the player.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 am

Post by Nexus »

Why don't people just not be unpleasant to each other? Would make my life a lot easier.
Trans rights are human rights.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:01 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 13, Firebringer wrote:
In post 5, chamber wrote:few flaws. 1, list-mods can take a long time to take action on things. 2 game mods don't see reports. 3 It's possible a player found something distasteful to the level of reporting it without the list-mods deeming it actionable. It still makes sense to try and resolve that between players in that case. The problem doesn't go away just because the list-mods choose not to act.
I get what you are saying here and I don't disagree I just don't think telling someone you are reporting them resolved anything in a healthy manner.

I think there's more constructive ways to deal with people who are out of control and telling them "hey I am reporting you" is unnecessary because what's the purpose of that statement?

Does telling someone they are breaking rules that can result in punishment actually change behavior. I don't think so, more likely they get defensive about their actions and continue acting way they have been because you put them in confrontational mindset with "I am reporting you"

If someone said that to you in game, ignoring whatever lead up to that point.
Does that allow for continued dialogue and less hostility?

It's like going up to your neighbors who are being too loud and telling them that you called the police on them for their disruptive behavior. You aren't trying to mend or come to mutual respectful behavior, your just making your relationship with neighbor worse or in this case the player.
Off-topic, I had a neighbor who had that type of escalatory personality once.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:46 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 14, Nexus wrote:Why don't people just not be unpleasant to each other? Would make my life a lot easier.
Yeah guys
why can't just be friends :]
GTKAS
| here.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:13 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Telling the entire board that you're reporting someone is rarely the optimal way to handle something.

What is better is to simply explain why you think that what someone did was wrong; basically the substance of the report without going "oh yeah I'm reporting your ass" (obviously you still can and often should report behavior that you find offensive)
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:16 am

Post by Alisae »

Real stance on the topic
I think it's done because if people say "I reported this" they'll think the sitaution will de-esculate
GTKAS
| here.
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:14 pm

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

I'd actually prefer you tell me you reported me. Makes my blacklist longer.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:26 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

OMGUS blacklisting, that's new
<Embrace The Void>

Narna
Narna
Mafia Scum
Narna
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:01 pm

Post by Narna »

I'd assume it's more avoiding people who would rather see you banned than play with them. However the reported comments are unhealthy for the game. Would it be rulebreaking to pm someone the post they reported with "reported" under it?
Accountant has my back. Surely he'll free me.
Narna
Narna
Mafia Scum
Narna
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 pm

Post by Narna »

In post 18, Alisae wrote:Real stance on the topic
I think it's done because if people say "I reported this" they'll think the sitaution will de-esculate
It's because they're used to seeing/doing that in online video games, and to hopefully get back at the person who offended them. :nerd:
Accountant has my back. Surely he'll free me.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:31 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 19, Lil Uzi Vert wrote:I'd actually prefer you tell me you reported me. Makes my blacklist longer.
I'm reporting you.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:39 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

In post 16, Alisae wrote:
In post 14, Nexus wrote:Why don't people just not be unpleasant to each other? Would make my life a lot easier.
Yeah guys
why can't just be friends :]
Reported
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget

Return to “Mafia Discussion”