about votecounts...

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:49 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

It would probably be a good poll question though...

Which type of Vote Count do you prefer as a player?

1) Vote counts without vote movement shown
2) Vote counts with vote movement shown
3) No preference
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:53 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I prefer vote movement if it's clear. Plotinus' method is very clunky imo, you can't really tell what's going on there.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I mostly just care about the current state of the game. If I'm going to be looking back through past votes, I'm going to care about the stated reasons too, so a mod summary that lists votes and not reasons isn't very useful. However, knowing how far players are off being hammered is much more important.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Post by Nexus »

I'm being serious here: I think that if you are providing more than just the basics in the votecount, you are influencing the game as a moderator than you should be.

If players want to know vote history, wagon history etc., then it is their responsibility to do that themselves.

Please can someone who disagree justify why you aren't influencing the game, more than just "it's information available to players anyway."

I don't even like the vote movement thing that I saw Vi use - greying out previous votes etc.
Trans rights are human rights.
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Post by Ginngie »

In post 78, Nexus wrote:I'm being serious here: I think that if you are providing more than just the basics in the votecount, you are influencing the game as a moderator than you should be.

If players want to know vote history, wagon history etc., then it is their responsibility to do that themselves.

Please can someone who disagree justify why you aren't influencing the game, more than just "it's information available to players anyway."
How is any of it alignment indicative?

If it doesn't reveal a person's alignment it's not in game influence
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
keyenpeydee
keyenpeydee
Mafia Scum
keyenpeydee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Post by keyenpeydee »

I think the main point is that the moderators should stay away from the game as much as possible like vote history etc.
Show
Games that I modded:

|| Mini Normal 1848 || The Hogwarts Mafia || Valentine's Day || The Divergent Series || Another Mafia || Cities & Beaches || Moonlight || 13 Reasons Why ||

Get to know a Keyenpeydee!

"Cause a queen is what I embody."
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:58 am

Post by Nexus »

In post 79, Ginngie wrote:
In post 78, Nexus wrote:I'm being serious here: I think that if you are providing more than just the basics in the votecount, you are influencing the game as a moderator than you should be.

How is any of it alignment indicative?

If it doesn't reveal a person's alignment it's not in game influence
I disagree - a moderator's job is to facilitate the game and nothing more, as I've already said. Anything more than that may influence the way one (or more) people plays.

When a mod is putting in more work to a votecount than people playing the game do, it's too much work.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:07 am

Post by Nero Cain »

A vote history
could
affect a players read on a slot but that's no different than using VCA on a string of votecounts. My only thing is that listing past votes on a vote count is cluttered AF and is actually pretty shit modding. and when you quote it doesn't keep the strike through so you'll have to manually either add in the strikes or edit out the not voting names. If Mastin and Plot really want to do vote histories then I still feel like they should be in a separate spoiler.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:15 am

Post by Plotinus »

I probably won't do it in future games since a lot of people don't seem to like it. I started doing it because of a Vi game that I read a long time ago and I thought it made the vote counts a lot easier to follow and easier for me to understand whether there was a change or not from the previous vote count. it gives me context for what I'm seeing. It's like when you're collaborating on a document and you turn on the revision history so you can see what the previous person changed instead of having to read the whole thing and just hope you notice what the changes are.

If you quote a VC using the quote button, it preserves the strike through formatting. If you quote a VC by highlighting part of it and then hitting the quote button then it loses the formatting. If you only want to quote part of it, you can delete the parts you aren't quoting (in my VCs, that's probably everything outside the mech tag)
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:17 am

Post by Plotinus »

I think part of the problem is there's a sweet spot between too much information and too little information. if there's too little information you don't have context to make sense of what you're seeing. if there's too much information you end up drowning in it and there's too much noise to find the details you care about, and both situations are bad.

and different people are going to feel the sweet spot is in a different place.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:18 am

Post by Plotinus »

but if most people seem to feel the sweet spot is in a different place from where I do, then as a mod I should cater to most people even if my preferences-as-a-player are a bit different.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:19 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I mean, my post prob came off meaner than I meant it to be. like its not something I personally care for but if it helps you and others are cool with it then more power to you.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:20 am

Post by Plotinus »

you're not the only one who said you don't like it, and that's useful feedback for me to have. you haven't hurt my feelings; I'd rather know if the way I'm doing it is confusing.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:22 am

Post by Nero Cain »

unless your vote count history provides a link to where they voted and/or explained said vote then it's not really giving context.

-
Don't tell Nexus I edited my post.
Last edited by Nero Cain on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:29 am

Post by Nexus »

Votecount X.X

Player X (3)
- Player A, Player B, Player C
Player Y (1)
- Player X

Not voting (1)
- Player Y

With 5 alive it takes 3 to lynch. Deadline is at 5pm BST on Wednesday 16th August 2017 ((expired on 2017-08-16 17:00:00))

If you want VCA
do it yourself

If you want Vote History
look at it yourself

If you want to see how wagons have changed over time
DO IT YOURSELF

My job as moderator is to ensure that the VCs are prompt, accurate and as unobtrusive as possible. My job as moderator is to ensure that the first post is up to date, the second post has rules, the third post has the game start and that is it.

Anything else is excessive, unnecessary, and is more mod intervention than necessary.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:30 am

Post by Plotinus »

I don't mean context like "Nero voted Plot because Plot voted Nero's buddy" (and I think that's something the players need to figure out for themselves). I mean context like "what makes this vote count different from the last one is that now Nero is voting Plot" as opposed to "this is the same vote count we had 10 pages ago, nothing has changed except some time passed".

If I'm ISOing the mod and just staring at a bunch of vote counts it's hard to tell what's different, if anything, from one to the next.

Maybe I could just bold the changes and not having crossed out stuff.

Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:31 am

Post by Nexus »

And whilst I'm at it, do not, as a mod, use your post editing abilities for anything other than fixing broken tags.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:33 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 91, Nexus wrote:And whilst I'm at it, do not, as a mod, use your post editing abilities for anything other than fixing broken tags.
+ for saying "V/LA noted --P" when someone announcs V/LA in thread.

Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:35 am

Post by Nexus »

I will concede that, and possibly about searching for a replacement - although I prefer to address both those things at my next votecount.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:40 am

Post by Plotinus »

underlines to show vote changes. less confusing i think

vc 2.05With 7 votes in play, it takes 4 to lynch.

:!:
Ernie
(L-2): Bert, Count
Count
(L-3):
Oscar

Snuffleupugus
(L-3):
Ernie

Big Bird
(L-3):
Snuffleupugus

Not Voting
(2): Big Bird, Elmo

Deadline
:
(expired on 2017-08-16 08:41:12)

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:43 am

Post by Nero Cain »

that's gotta be a bus. Why else would Bert vote Ernie?

Sunlit Diamond
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:18 am

Post by Sunlit Diamond »

I think....

I don't actually care what individual mods do. The info Nexus put together is all that matters to me. What I will have a problem with is if "extras" become so common that it becomes a scumtell not to use them. Sounds stupid, but in my observation it's not actually that far outside the realm of possibility.
Bipolar • ADHD • Call me Sunny • GTKAS
May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground - carry on.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:09 am

Post by Nero Cain »

generally, the mods don't have an alignment so ummm...

Sunlit Diamond
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:24 am

Post by Sunlit Diamond »

I didn't say the mods did. The players in the game do, however, and they make alignment judgments based on NAI things rather frequently.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:34 am

Post by Nero Cain »

Well yeah, I mean if someone isn't doing what they usually do it's more than likely scum motivated but we were talking about extras in modding

Return to “Mafia Discussion”