Why is this a thing?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Why is this a thing?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:35 am

Post by Nero Cain »

mods stating that the game is single ball?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

Some players seem to dislike multi ball and very strongly so.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

yeah but is that fair to scum? I think its one of the scums strengths for to NOT know the setup but telling town part of the setup takes that awat.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Post by Alisae »

I feel like its safe to assume that its singleball (1 scumteam) unless told otherwise.

I feel like you should be asking why do mods announce that their game is multiball
GTKAS
| here.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

that's basically the same thing...mods giving town setup information but yea, I agree, they shouldn't.

Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:43 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

There was probably a point where I felt that way too, but as time has marched on I've really started to shy away from multiball setups and probably wouldn't run one without giving the players an indication that it would be possible for it to be multiball.

Also if we're being real multiball isn't really fair to anyone. Town has their win odds gimped and even the scum do as well due to the chance of losing to the other scumteam.

It's like in wrestling when wrestlers flip out upon realizing they've been booked in a triple threat match after expecting a one on one match. Suddenly their odds of victory are much lower.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:22 am

Post by Nero Cain »

wrestling is scripted

borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Post by borkjerfkin »

i generally announce it one way or the other now so that it's out in the open at signups and the game can both be balanced around that announcement and people can join/not based on their personal preference.

being town in multiball is the worst
beefycheese
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Honestly team numbers should inform you if it's singleball BARRING WEIRD BULLSHIT.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 am

Post by Firebringer »

In post 0, Nero Cain wrote:mods stating that the game is single ball?
My mod meta has it so you can predict single ball every game basically.
Announcing it does little more than allow people unfamiliar with my mod meta to know what to expect.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:34 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Given how frequently scum wins on this site I think "this is unfair to scum" is probably a not very persuasive argument.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:35 am

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 7, borkjerfkin wrote:i generally announce it one way or the other now so that it's out in the open at signups and the game can both be balanced around that announcement and people can join/not based on their personal preference.

I like this. I dislike the thought of multiball.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 am

Post by Spiffeh »

Multiball is also the worst and I'd prefer to know if about a game being multiball so I can avoid it
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Post by Alisae »

GTKAS
| here.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 7, borkjerfkin wrote:i generally announce it one way or the other now so that it's out in the open at signups and the game can both be balanced around that announcement and people can join/not based on their personal preference.

being
town
serial killer in multiball is the worst
IFYT :P
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Knowing whether or not the setup is multiball is something you can balance around. In Normals nowadays, mods are encouraged to make a choice about whether or not they reveal faction sizes to their players (which would reveal multiball-ness as a side effect); keeping them secret is a valid decision, as is disclosing them, but it's something that we want to be intentional rather than just kind-of happening.

It's also worth noting that for, say, a 13 player normal with 1 kill per night, players are going to assume the setup is 10:3 without very strong evidence otherwise. So if the assumption is correct, nothing's really changed, and if it's incorrect, players are most likely just going to be angry and you haven't actually improved the game at all.

And yes, as mentioned elsethread, an explicitly-not-multiball game is likely to be faster to fill because of all the players who avoid multiball. (If a game
is
multiball, making that fact explicit might presumably also help the game to fill, attracting a different subset of players.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

Beat mafia players with the multiball stick until morale improves.
Radical Rat
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Radical Rat
They/Them
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Post by Radical Rat »

I like multiball.

Sure, it affects win chances and all, but it also allows for a greater depth of strategy than singleball and more variety in gameplay
Maybe the real Mafia was the friends we made along the way

Shiny and new GTKAS thread!
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:12 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Adding more scum is a pretty good way of increasing town win rates.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Post by Creature »

Some players would rather make it clear that the game is actually normal.
Sigh
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:48 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 2, Nero Cain wrote:yeah but is that fair to scum? I think its one of the scums strengths for to NOT know the setup but telling town part of the setup takes that awat.
I think the fairness to the scum if the game is multi-ball depends on the two, or more, teams WinCon. If the WinCon both teams is to become the majority without competing against each other, then the game tips into scum favor. If the WinCon proclaims that the scum teams are competing against each other, then the game is in town's favor because scum have to work twice as hard to win the game. The latter could be made slightly fairer if the scum teams played with the mindset 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' and then backstabbed each other towards the end.
Alisae wrote:I feel like you should be asking why do mods announce that their game is multiball
I think a reason why Mods state if a game is multi-ball is the same reason Mods announce if a game is bastard or not, because expecting one thing (could be a game is normal and not bastard or single ball) and then realizing late into the game that everything you thought was true is false can royally screw you in the end.

Plus, I think most players play differently, or at least come in with different expectations, if a game is announced to be bastard vs normal. Same thing applies to the multi-ball vs single ball. If a player comes in with the assumption that the game is single ball, then they're only going to be scrutinizing for one scum team and maybe a couple of 3rd party players. If the game states that it may be a multi-ball, then they come in with the expectation that there stands a chance that they'll have to deal, if they have an anti-scum WinCon, with more than one scum team.

Then again, the mods don't have to straight up say, "Hey this game is multi-ball!" They could merely say, "There's a chance that this game could contain more than one scum team." It's not lying and gives the players a warning that they shouldn't expect a standard - whatever your impression of that should be - setup.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:36 pm

Post by Alisae »

Bastard and Multiball are two completely different things.
GTKAS
| here.
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:17 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 21, Alisae wrote:Bastard and Multiball are two completely different things.
I never implied that they were two similar things. My previous post was responding to the question of why Mods announce multi-ball. I stated that it's the same reason Mods announce that a game is bastard.

If a game as announced as bastard, then players will make at least two decision based upon that information: one, whether or not they want to participate in the game to begin with and two, (if they do participate) approach the game and its players and its Mod differently because it is bastard.
Spiffeh wrote:Multiball is also the worst and I'd prefer to know if about a game being multiball so I can avoid it
borkjerfkin wrote:i generally announce it one way or the other now so that it's out in the open at signups and the game can both be balanced around that announcement and people can join/not based on their personal preference.

If a game is announced as multi-ball, then - based on the quotes above - it evokes a similar response from players just like if the game was announced as bastard (or maybe it's announced as bastard and multi-ball, but that's besides the point). You have players who may or may not participate in a multi-ball game based purely on the Mod's announcement, just like a bastard game. Once they're in the game, players will come into it with a different expectation and scrutinize the actions of the other players because they've been told that the game isn't standard.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”