Pride getting in the way.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Grendel
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Grendel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:05 pm

Post by Grendel »

"That one scum read was a uh... reaction test... yeah" :Shifty:

I usually admit when I think I'm wrong and ask some players who I trust if they agree, how they feel, or even talking it out with the slot in question (assuming scum read to town read transition). Generally opening the issue up for further dissuasion to move things along. If I can move things along then there will be little to no focus on my perceived mistake.
but why?

V/LA most Sundays.
Toto
Toto
Mafia Scum
Toto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Post by Toto »

1. Look at the reason of why you were reading someone as scum or town and find 1000 examples of people doing the same in other games.
2. Compute the percentage of times you would have been right.
3. Realize there are no such 1000 examples and whatever reasons you had are not justifiable from a scientific point of view.
4. Realize people are way more confident that they should be in this game.
5. Realize that is what makes this game fun.
6. Have fun.
just because you get evil player role doesn't mean you are a evil person at HEART - KainTepes!!!
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:49 am

Post by Ectomancer »

In post 24, Quick wrote:
In post 23, Ectomancer wrote:So let's see....you are so attached to being wrong....because that was your state for most of the game you see.....that when given the opportunity to be right...you still cling stubbornly to being wrong...and you need us to help convince you that is wrong...or right? Are you right or wrong? Because you have me so confused now. That just isn't right. Or isn't wrong. Wait, isn't right means wrong, right? Or do I say that, ummm, "Isn't right means wrong, isn't wrong?" Isn't wrong?
I can't even tell if this is Bull Shit :lol:
Well I happen to have a degree in Bull Shit. For a fee I could make an assessment. :nerd:
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:04 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 0, Quick wrote:You are playing as Town. You've been inaccurately reading someone as Town/Scum all game. You want to read them correctly, but can't bring yourself to do it because it means you were wrong for so much of the game.

What do?

Kill them all and let Mod sort it out.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:06 am

Post by kuribo »

Real answer:

Explain that my read has changed, give a reason if I have one. Explain that I vote however I want, whenever I want.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Quick
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Post by Quick »

I think sometimes the pride is somewhat subconscious. What I mean is that there is something pulling you not to change your read when you know you should.
https://youtu.be/LRkYiRnRzY0

Wakie, wakie. Eggs and Bacie.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:52 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

honestly the idea that your read wouldn't change naturally as you got more and more information is kind of baffling to me.

like, imagine this scenario.

i ask you to guess how many potatoes i own. you say 20. a reasonable number. but then i show you a picture of me swimming in 20000 potatoes. you think for a while and say "20."

???

like, i don't understand how pride factors in here, honestly. your judgement now with xy information does not mean you were incorrect in your judgement at x information.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 31, Thestatusquo wrote:i ask you to guess how many potatoes i own. you say 20. a reasonable number. but then i show you a picture of me swimming in 20000 potatoes. you think for a while and say "20."
Confirmation bias would have you say that picture doesn’t prove you own those potatoes or discredit the picture.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

sure, which seems to have very little to do with my point.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:54 am

Post by Creature »

Yeah, it's better to admit being wrong temporarily than having to be proven wrong.
Sigh
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:35 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Being wrong is ignorance. Clinging to your ignorance is stupidity. :nerd:
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Quick
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:59 am

Post by Quick »

I think some people here are blind to their own confbias, which is kinda shitty...

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:52 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 36, Quick wrote:people here
People in general

Quick
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:52 am

Post by Quick »

In post 37, kuribo wrote:
In post 36, Quick wrote:people here
People in general
yeah, that's what I meant, lol.

Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:06 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

You haven't
really
played mafia until you've run into someone that's hard headed enough to not even bother to listen to a word you have to say in a game.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

thats like 30% of the players on this site.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 am

Post by Ectomancer »

In post 39, Zachrulez wrote:You haven't
really
played mafia until you've run into someone that's hard headed enough to not even bother to listen to a word you have to say in a game.
Sadly they become a policy lynch over time. Unless they have an amazing record at winning as town you don't let them into LYLO. I am not aware of any instance where this personality trait and such an amazing town win record have ever been paired.

Quick
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 am

Post by Quick »

In post 41, Ectomancer wrote:
really
Sadly they become a policy lynch over time. Unless they have an amazing record at winning as town you don't let them into LYLO. I am not aware of any instance where this personality trait and such an amazing town win record have ever been paired.
I think this is one of those things that should happen, but doesn't.

Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:11 am

Post by Ectomancer »

In post 42, Quick wrote:
In post 41, Ectomancer wrote:
really
I think this is one of those things that should happen, but doesn't.
Well what happens is that due to the odds of random role assignments we will all naturally over time accrue more roles as town than we will as scum. So to begin going after those types of players as a matter of course becomes scummy behavior in itself for going after an easy target. Even if you don't agree and do try for policy lynches you will then find yourself an easier target and that is no good for anyone's win condition. So they remain in the game, things stay the same except for one thing. We all try our damn best to improve their game. Since we all will draw town roles more often and will be drawing those town roles with those hard headed players that is just the best strategy we can take in order to improve all of our town records. And isn't that a better trophy? To have a better town win record than scum win record? Sure it is more work for us. But if you train up those hard headed players they are actually the best at training up the next batch of hard headed players.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”