Pride getting in the way.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Quick
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Pride getting in the way.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Post by Quick »

You are playing as Town. You've been inaccurately reading someone as Town/Scum all game. You want to read them correctly, but can't bring yourself to do it because it means you were wrong for so much of the game.

What do?
Quick
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:50 pm

Post by Quick »

For the opposite problem, go here.
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 am

Post by Lycanfire »

Pinpoint your eureka moment and act really smug in the presence of your peers for being good at mafia
Quick
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:36 am

Post by Quick »

In post 2, Lycanfire wrote:Pinpoint your eureka moment and act really smug in the presence of your peers for being good at mafia
That's... not very helpful. It might work for some people to get into the mindset to be "smug" but that is just not going to work for me. Do you have any other suggestions?
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:56 am

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

No need to learn how to swallow your pride.

If you are good at what you do, or intend on becoming good, you learn from everything.
acidphoenix
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
acidphoenix
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:57 am

Post by acidphoenix »

"I want to say x is town/scum for ego reasons but at this point they're probably scum/town"
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:49 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

Lose enough games this way and your pride will start compelling you to do the opposite... or you won't have any left (if you still have pride after losing a bunch of games from being stubborn on reads then lol)
deranged and incoherent
?
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:14 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

Literally just announce out loud you did this for the whole thread to be able to hold you accountable for it.

Bonus points for pulling that off as scum
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:29 am

Post by Creature »

I don't have problem changing reads. My biggest problem is changing from right to wrong.
Sigh
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:02 am

Post by Porkens »

In post 0, Quick wrote:You are playing as Town. You've been inaccurately reading someone as Town/Scum all game. You want to read them correctly, but can't bring yourself to do it because it means you were wrong for so much of the game.

What do?
Kill them.
Sunlit Diamond
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:47 am

Post by Sunlit Diamond »

I was stressed about that in my first two games and then I realized it really didn't matter in the long run. <_<; If I get lynched for admitting I was wrong....welp. On to the next game. :P
Bipolar • ADHD • Call me Sunny • GTKAS
May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground - carry on.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:55 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I have literally never had a problem switching my reads because of pride.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Llamarble
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Post by Llamarble »

Assessing the quality of your own play, you shouldn't care how many times your reads change wildly.
All that matters is winning.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 0, Quick wrote:You are playing as Town. You've been inaccurately reading someone as Town/Scum all game. You want to read them correctly, but can't bring yourself to do it because it means you were wrong for so much of the game.

What do?
I do recognize this issue. It was one of those things that really held my play back early on. If you can get over your pride, you can become a much better player really quickly.
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:06 am

Post by Aronis »

What do?
I've got lots of ideas for how to do this and maintain your pride.

A. be honest with yourself and realizing you're guessing with these reads and just lynch them anyways cause you'll probably be wrong either way
B. lynch them anyways and then blame them for being awful and making you screw up
C. do a 180 and if anybody tries to call you out for them deny it and say this was a slow 100% justified change
D. say you were trying to make sure scum didn't NK this amazing person and so you've actually townread them all along
E. determine some special quality about this person that makes them be the only person to ever exist you can't read correctly and blame it on that
F. spam so much nonsense people forget you were reading anybody and then change it while they're not paying attention
Sunlit Diamond
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 am

Post by Sunlit Diamond »

Perhaps actually useful thought: I tend to re read the thread and find places I can point out where I misinterpreted before, but with new information I can now read differently. Doesn't degrade my prior reading in anyway, just transforms it.
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: With the Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of It's Ass

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:39 am

Post by Inferno390 »

In post 14, Aronis wrote:

What do?
I've got lots of ideas for how to do this and maintain your pride.

A. be honest with yourself and realizing you're guessing with these reads and just lynch them anyways cause you'll probably be wrong either way
B. lynch them anyways and then blame them for being awful and making you screw up
C. do a 180 and if anybody tries to call you out for them deny it and say this was a slow 100% justified change
D. say you were trying to make sure scum didn't NK this amazing person and so you've actually townread them all along
E. determine some special quality about this person that makes them be the only person to ever exist you can't read correctly and blame it on that
F. spam so much nonsense people forget you were reading anybody and then change it while they're not paying attention
This must be why Aronis isn't any good at Mafia... :D
"Do I have permission to....refute some of the bs that Inferno just spewed out?"--TywinL

“Does anyone know if Inferno is prone to going of on huge tangents of twisted logic regarding basically alignment neutral posting? Asking for a friend ...”—MagnaofIllusion

Inferno390 GTKAS

Mafiascum Moderator Society
Quick
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:08 am

Post by Quick »

In post 6, Raskolnikov wrote:Lose enough games this way and your pride will start compelling you to do the opposite... or you won't have any left (if you still have pride after losing a bunch of games from being stubborn on reads then lol)
I've played in over 80 games and I can prolly count on one hand the amount of times I have been in LyLo. This prolly means I have a real problem in my game. Naturally, because of this is why I make threads like this.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:23 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

Woah if scum are nightkilling you that often you can wear it as a badge of honour. Or you usually lynch all maf before it even gets to lylo that's pretty good too :P (jk I know you prob mean getting mislynched lol)
deranged and incoherent
?
Quick
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:47 am

Post by Quick »

In post 18, Raskolnikov wrote:Woah if scum are nightkilling you that often you can wear it as a badge of honour. Or you usually lynch all maf before it even gets to lylo that's pretty good too :P (jk I know you prob mean getting mislynched lol)
I get NKed a lot as well as getting lynched a lot, which just makes me an anomaly.
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:52 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 10, Sunlit Diamond wrote:I was stressed about that in my first two games and then I realized it really didn't matter in the long run. <_<; If I get lynched for admitting I was wrong....welp. On to the next game. :P
A game is a game. Ultimately, if you get lynched because you admitted you were wrong then there's always next time!
In post 7, Flubbernugget wrote:Literally just announce out loud you did this for the whole thread to be able to hold you accountable for it.

Bonus points for pulling that off as scum
Bonus points for winning the game as scum if this just so happens to you.
Sunlit Diamond
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Post by Sunlit Diamond »

Pretty much exactly that. :P
James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Post by James Brafin »

I'd admit I made a mistake and say I'm opposite reading them.
A new R2D game is in signups! Running Alpha v1.3 Link here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80343
Get to know a handsome potato: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=76837
Making the world more educated, one uneducated person at a time.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:33 am

Post by Ectomancer »

So let's see....you are so attached to being wrong....because that was your state for most of the game you see.....that when given the opportunity to be right...you still cling stubbornly to being wrong...and you need us to help convince you that is wrong...or right? Are you right or wrong? Because you have me so confused now. That just isn't right. Or isn't wrong. Wait, isn't right means wrong, right? Or do I say that, ummm, "Isn't right means wrong, isn't wrong?" Isn't wrong?
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Quick
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Quick
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:36 am

Post by Quick »

In post 23, Ectomancer wrote:So let's see....you are so attached to being wrong....because that was your state for most of the game you see.....that when given the opportunity to be right...you still cling stubbornly to being wrong...and you need us to help convince you that is wrong...or right? Are you right or wrong? Because you have me so confused now. That just isn't right. Or isn't wrong. Wait, isn't right means wrong, right? Or do I say that, ummm, "Isn't right means wrong, isn't wrong?" Isn't wrong?
I can't even tell if this is Bull Shit :lol:
https://youtu.be/LRkYiRnRzY0

Wakie, wakie. Eggs and Bacie.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”