14 day long day phases? What??

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Jamiet99uk
Jamiet99uk
Goon
Jamiet99uk
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Post by Jamiet99uk »

In post 23, Ellibereth wrote:
I'm sorry but if a player can't participate a decent amount in any given 48 or 72-hour spell, they actually don't have time to play, and they shouldn't have signed up. Having a set-up where players only have to participate every few days, openly encourages lazy play.
this seems like an opinion type thing
that we clearly disagree on
Then surely the phase lengths should be totally up to the Mods for each game?

Why is 14 days the default?
Sunlit Diamond
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Post by Sunlit Diamond »

In post 22, Jamiet99uk wrote:
I'm sorry but if a player can't participate a decent amount in any given 48 or 72-hour spell, they actually don't have time to play, and they shouldn't have signed up. Having a set-up where players only have to participate every few days, openly encourages lazy play.
You're assuming people only post every couple of days. :)
Bipolar • ADHD • Call me Sunny • GTKAS
May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground - carry on.
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Post by Ellibereth »

In post 25, Jamiet99uk wrote:
In post 23, Ellibereth wrote:
this seems like an opinion type thing
that we clearly disagree on
Then surely the phase lengths should be totally up to the Mods for each game?

Why is 14 days the default?
they are.
FLASH OF GREEN
Jamiet99uk
Jamiet99uk
Goon
Jamiet99uk
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Post by Jamiet99uk »

In post 26, Sunlit Diamond wrote:
In post 22, Jamiet99uk wrote:
You're assuming people only post every couple of days. :)
Uhhhhhh, no. Wrong.
Sunlit Diamond
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:16 pm

Post by Sunlit Diamond »

Then I'm afraid I don't understand what your issue is. The mods have total freedom to set their games up the way they choose; the community here enjoys 14 day time frames, so that's what most mods choose. You can choose to play in that meta, or you can choose not to. It's 100% a you thing.
Bipolar • ADHD • Call me Sunny • GTKAS
May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground - carry on.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:41 am

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 0, Jamiet99uk wrote:Seriously MafiaScum, what gives? What is the reason for a two-week day phase? It seems totally unnecessary for the phase to be anywhere near that long.
Not everyone has as much free time as you. That's just the way things are. There are other sites if you want to have shorter deadlines.
Elmo TeH AzN
Elmo TeH AzN
Jack of All Trades
Elmo TeH AzN
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:56 am

Post by Elmo TeH AzN »

I know I for one may look at the site a lot but even then Im not one whos going to sit there every 10-15 mins to look and make a new post. I have a job. Other half and other hobbies as well. I dont see this taking up my whole day with something like a 48 hr day phase. Take 16 out for sleep you have 32 Hrs Minus 16 on average for the 2 days of work. Your at 16 Now take away things like cooking and cleaning and showering. You have 10 hrs free in two days. Thats really not a lot of time. Not counting commute and what not as wel
Stats not in the wiki. I'm That Crazy Panda.
I Speak Engrish Not English Leave My Grammar Alone.

Permanently V/LA
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:35 am

Post by zoraster »

Please do not discuss ongoing games. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30908
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:42 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

"person who has barely played mafia comes to a mafia forum that has existed since before he was born and tells them they're playing the game wrong? what??"
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:23 am

Post by Ranmaru »

I work 5-6 days a week so having a two-week deadline gives me time to read the thread and re-read it. In my previous game that just finished, I was not able to be around as much as I would have liked to.
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 am

Post by Lucky2u »

In post 33, Thestatusquo wrote:"person who has barely played mafia comes to a mafia forum that has existed since before he was born and tells them they're playing the game wrong? what??"
That's the way of the young folk. Us old people are always doing everything wrong.
The bunny knight reigns supreme!
Get to know me! Here! and now Here too!
ironstove
ironstove
Mafia Scum
ironstove
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:18 am

Post by ironstove »

Regarding your question, I'm not sure why it's this way but if you've played mafia on other sites, you'll probably find that MS is the worst out of all the websites for various reasons which I will list:

1. The long day phases in theory should allow for better play as people spend more time thinking out what they want to write and craft well thought out plans to execute as both town and scum. This is not the case. The longer days allow for a toxic meta to fester on all of the threads which include but are not limited to:
a. Thread spamming for 14 days leaving other players with hundreds of pages to have to read through in order to catch up on a single day phase.
b. Constant AFKing/declaring vacation or leave from the game to avoid being pressured and coast through to end-game i.e. not really playing the game.

2. Over-reaching mods who play the role of kindergarten teachers, basically half-assing their jobs and allowing all forms of passive aggressive behavior through the hoops, but banning/force replacing any player that actually gets into a heated debate. It is a legitimate strategy on this website to report a good player that you provoke into an argument in order to have a moderator force replace them out of the game for being too hostile.

These two factors have caused MS to lead into a meta where the play is focused on 'niceness' and people cannot be mean. Games just slowly trudge on quietly with people ignoring each other if they feel the pressure and declare V/LA.

I personally HATED this meta when I first joined this site having played on EM and MU, but now I LOVE LOVE LOVE MAFIA SCUM!!!! I just love working my full time job and passive-aggressively being an asshole to people knowing there is nothing that will be done to me about it, basically unleashing all of my frustrations on strangers and not giving a shit about the outcome of the game I am playing. Once I realized that MS is a place to use people as human verbal punching bags , it really opened my eyes to the possibilities that this site offers which I previously did not see before.

It's really not for everyone, some people think there are very questionable ethics involved in this type of behavior and those people don't belong here, but as for everyone else, once you understand the purpose a website like this serves, you will learn to love and embrace it. If it were up to me, I would make day phases a year long and sign for 50 concurrent games.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:23 am

Post by Creature »

I tried a website that does 5-days games, didn't like it. I could barely get invested there.
Sigh
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:26 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

2. Over-reaching mods who play the role of kindergarten teachers, basically half-assing their jobs and allowing all forms of passive aggressive behavior through the hoops, but banning/force replacing any player that actually gets into a heated debate. It is a legitimate strategy on this website to report a good player that you provoke into an argument in order to have a moderator force replace them out of the game for being too hostile.
Please provide examples.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:44 am

Post by Korts »

Seriously. If you don't like the way we play here, don't play here.
scumchat never die
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:03 am

Post by Ectomancer »

In post 33, Thestatusquo wrote:"person who has barely played mafia comes to a mafia forum that has existed since before he was born and tells them they're playing the game wrong? what??"
What we are seeing is someone who realized that it would be much simpler to pester an existing site to change their meta to something to suit them; than it would be to start a site with whatever meta on their own.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:15 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Nah I think we're just seeing the arrogance of youth.

Also, sup ecto.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:17 am

Post by zoraster »

interestingly, i think we see fewer of these threads than we used to.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

In post 41, Thestatusquo wrote:Also, sup ecto.
I'm back! I found myself with no wife, no home, no job, and I'm a 12 hour drive away from my (grown up) kids. So I thought to myself, "It looks as though I have time to play some Mafia!".

:P
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Post by Alisae »

I think its just a culture shock
GTKAS
| here.
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:35 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

I think the standard of 14 days is too long too unless it is a 16+ game. But then only when there are 16+ living players. and still no more than 14 days even if there are 24 players. I think mods should use more discretion and vary deadlines depending on the # a lot more often. I like something like: 12-15 players alive deadline is 10-12days, and then scale down 6-11 players alive is 8-9 days, 3-5 alive is a week.

But I also don't think it should be set in stone. When I've played in-flesh, the moderator just uses the feel of the game to determine when the make everyone start shaping up and decide on a lynch if they are going to. Give a little warning, but make them accountable too. MS relies too much on waiting for deadline to approach to get to lynching and it is bad for play most of the time. Instill a bit of fear of not getting a lynch off and get town off their asses.
balance among all things
ConManMick
ConManMick
Dear Derry
ConManMick
Dear Derry
Dear Derry

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:39 am

Post by ConManMick »

In post 24, Jamiet99uk wrote:By the way, I've got loads of time to comment here because the main Central Park game I'm in is currently in a night phase and, as I've learned, over here on MafiaScum you don't let town players participate during night phases because REASONS.
... Because that's the whole point of the night phase?
"As everyone knows there is a special guardian angel for drunkards and lovers"
- Alexandre Dumas
TÁL
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 13, Jamiet99uk wrote:
In post 10, Sunlit Diamond wrote:I like the longer days. I also come from a blitz-style site. I vastly prefer it here with the longer deadlines and more talk focused play.
You see, for me, where I've come from, 48 hours doesn't seem like a "blitz". 48 hours is LOADS of time if everyone participates.

Mafiascum appears to encourage very lazy participation.
oh look, another person coming in to MS to insult the way we play

it encourages thoughtful participation instead of your run of the mill spamfest bullshit
green shirt thursdays
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Post by hiplop »

sounds like you dont get mafia
and suck as a human being
Last edited by hiplop on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
third best scummer of all time
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Post by McMenno »