Your voting system. What??

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Sunlit Diamond
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Sunlit Diamond
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Post by Sunlit Diamond »

Alternatively I hear there's a bridge lacking an under-dwelling resident in the next town over.
Bipolar • ADHD • Call me Sunny • GTKAS
May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground - carry on.
Toto
Toto
Mafia Scum
Toto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:48 pm

Post by Toto »

I’m am very sorry your brain can not wrap itself around simple concepts like game mechanichs.

Plurality lynches are a workaround when people in a group not being able to reach a majority decision.

Making group decisions can take a lot of time and participation that not every mafia enthusiast will have to spare.

Therefore more time in day phases *allows* the group to be more likely to agree on a majority lynch. Which in the opinion of many people in this forum is better to half-arsed decisions (aka plurality lynches)

As you may (but probably not) be able to see there is a tradeoff between the size of the audience that you will appeal to and the method you choose.

You can play (using your imagination) with different settings of day cycle length, group decision robustness and target audience and see for your self. It may take you a long time and effort to do so.

Disclaimer: Im speaking on my behalf and Im not an official representative of this forum but you are kind of an ass and you deserve another one to answer your queries (that would be me)
just because you get evil player role doesn't mean you are a evil person at HEART - KainTepes!!!
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Post by Lord Gurgi »

In post 21, Jamiet99uk wrote:No. I'm not trying to make anyone change.

I'm merely puzzled, and trying to understand why your default approach is such a pile of shit.
Definitively, this is not a "default" approach. Our method of play is a decision that has been made consciously and is superior to yours. Now keep in mind, people here have been playing mafia on this site for more years than you've played games of mafia (and I would guess for more years than you've been alive, too). Not just a few, but many people. You have been informed not only that your approach has been tried, but that it has been found wanting. You are out of your element.

I would suggest to you that you should either play games on this site and see how it suits you, or simply return to where you were previously playing.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:43 am

Post by Ranmaru »

Relying on plurality is lazy.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:31 am

Post by McMenno »

JT, do you thoroughly enjoy confusing your enemies through use of "Mind Games"?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:32 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

lmao. i meade that comparison last night in chat.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:27 am

Post by callforjudgement »

"Plurality lynch at deadline", the voting system you describe, makes sense for a shorter day phase. When you have long deadlines, though, you want to be able to end the day early. (If you disagree, this game should probably change your mind. I'm not sure whether it was a pure joke, an attempt to make a point, or performance art, but it was the sort of idea that made me volunteer as backup mod just to make sure the game wouldn't be abandoned early.)

I'm personally dubious about the merits of a hammer-based system for ending a day early (even though it's standard here); it requires a decent amount of discipline from the players and not everyone has that. Normally I favour "hammer delay" systems in which a day ends as a consequence of a player having had a majority for a set length of time (say 24 or 48 hours), meaning that a miscounted vote won't be the end of the world, but I changed that system for use on this site.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:02 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 31, callforjudgement wrote:it requires a decent amount of discipline from the players and not everyone has that.

Players who are afraid to murder their enemies the nanosecond those enemies reach L-1 are timid, mewling little whelps who will be the first to be eaten when the cold season falls.

Passive mafia players, like passive lovers, tend to sit back and let others do the dirty work. They tend to be weak, overly analytical, and don’t want the responsibility that comes with wanton murder.

Take a stand. Let the bloodlust of your mafiascum ancestors flow through you. Become drunk with the power of life and death, then swing that hammer to show how strong your convictions are.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:08 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Idk I think this site has way more of a problem with too many people trying to lead the town and not accepting anyone elses reads than the opposite.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:14 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 33, Thestatusquo wrote:Idk I think this site has way more of a problem with too many people trying to lead the town and not accepting anyone elses reads than the opposite.
Realtalk though, I definitely agree on this front. As players have regrettably come to rely more on meta, you see a lot of head butting about who can read X better.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:15 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

It's especially amusing to see "omg you'd totally townread me if you were town", even more so when directed at players who aren't even competent as town :P
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:31 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 35, mhsmith0 wrote:It's especially amusing to see "omg you'd totally townread me if you were town", even more so when directed at players who aren't even competent as town :P

I haaaaaaaate that. When someone isn’t town reading me and should be, I usually just assume they can’t read me as well as they think, or that they’re trying to draw me into a fight. I’m considered by a lot of people to be hard to read, and only a handful of people can claim to have any measure of success at doing so. (Katsuki and pirate mollie come most immediately to mind. Probably mastina too) And for the drawing me into a fight, I feel like most people think I’m easier to read when I’m arguing with them.

mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:33 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 34, kuribo wrote:
In post 33, Thestatusquo wrote:Idk I think this site has way more of a problem with too many people trying to lead the town and not accepting anyone elses reads than the opposite.
Realtalk though, I definitely agree on this front. As players have regrettably come to rely more on meta, you see a lot of head butting about who can read X better.
It's actually kind of funny that I have the exact opposite problem, and tend to be far too passive most of the time as town, even when my reads are actually quite good (on the whole, I'm far from perfect at reads but am overall pretty solidly >rand I think). Something I keep trying to work on but for whatever reason (probably at least somewhat due to my own personality) it often doesn't really take *shrugs*
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:39 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 36, kuribo wrote:
In post 35, mhsmith0 wrote:It's especially amusing to see "omg you'd totally townread me if you were town", even more so when directed at players who aren't even competent as town :P

I haaaaaaaate that. When someone isn’t town reading me and should be, I usually just assume they can’t read me as well as they think, or that they’re trying to draw me into a fight. I’m considered by a lot of people to be hard to read, and only a handful of people can claim to have any measure of success at doing so. (Katsuki and pirate mollie come most immediately to mind. Probably mastina too) And for the drawing me into a fight, I feel like most people think I’m easier to read when I’m arguing with them.
I think the actual truth here is also an issue on the site and underlies a real problem, which is that maybe you're just not very good at looking town? People seem to be completely unwilling to consider the possibility that perhaps the reason they are being scum read is that they are playing like scum would. Some players even go so far as to play more scummy as town in order to boost scum win rate.

It's a huge issue.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:06 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 38, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 36, kuribo wrote:

I think the actual truth here is also an issue on the site and underlies a real problem, which is that maybe you're just not very good at looking town? People seem to be completely unwilling to consider the possibility that perhaps the reason they are being scum read is that they are playing like scum would. Some players even go so far as to play more scummy as town in order to boost scum win rate.

It's a huge issue.

If I was bad at looking town, I'd have been mislynched more than twice in ten years and I'd have a way worse scum win rate. My problem is that I'm so good at looking town that sometimes people don't trust it since they've seen me look incredibly town while murdering them at night.

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:33 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Sometimes I scumread people for townreading me when they logically should, given the rest of their reads and actions, be scumreading me if they're town.

And yes, there definitely is a "reverse burden of proficiency" problem where if a person's been proven to be sufficiently good at looking town when they're actually scum, nobody's willing to strongly townread them ever again.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:29 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 40, callforjudgement wrote:Sometimes I scumread people for townreading me when they logically should, given the rest of their reads and actions, be scumreading me if they're town.

And yes, there definitely is a "reverse burden of proficiency" problem where if a person's been proven to be sufficiently good at looking town when they're actually scum, nobody's willing to strongly townread them ever again.

You can only dance on the corpses of those you led for so long before people stop following you.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone townreading me, only for someone who's played with me before to go, "Yeah but the last time I played with kuribo..." hell, my last game, I vigged my own scum buddy and coasted on the town cred from that. How many times do you think I'll ever get away with that now? At least to people who were in that game.

And it's kind of insane because I've seen people scum read me for being too hostile, as well as for being too passive, so it kind of depends on the player.

yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:04 pm

Post by yessiree »

why do they speak german in Berlin but french in Paris? I just don't get it!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”