Should Modkills End the Dayphase?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Should Modkills End the Dayphase?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:05 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

On one hand, if they don't end the Day phase a faction can do twice the damage to itself (i.e. Town gets modkilled and mislynched).

On the other hand, if it ends the Day it can punish an entire faction for one players mistake even more than just losing that player (i.e. Town gets modkilled which stops scum from getting lynched).

What are all the thoughts on this?
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:26 am

Post by Creature »

I'd end the day so town won't end having a double lynch.
Sigh
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:32 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

i would say keep the day going. modkills can be either faction so its a toss up on who it affects. if it was close to deadline i would give an extension though
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:01 am

Post by Nero Cain »

end the day.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Ghostlin
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Ghostlin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:26 am

Post by Ghostlin »

I have seen it if it's a Town modkill, it ends Day; if scum, day continues. Probably the logic being if it's so bad that the mod has to get involved, the faction the offender is needs to be hurt to punish the offender.
"You live for the fight when it's all that you've got."--Bon Jovi, Living on a Prayer
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:29 am

Post by Creature »

Getting yourself modkilled as caught scum to end the day earlier is stupid, you'll lose (neutral survivor) just so your teammates gain a very small benefit.
Sigh
Magister Ludi
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Post by Magister Ludi »

End the day.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Post by mastina »

Keep the day going, barring special circumstances--
A modkill is a tool of absolute last resort for a moderator. It is used only when there is no possible alternative solution. (For instance, PMing another player would not be a modkill, but rather, mutual force-replacement in most instances. However, quoting your role PM in the thread is something which is hard to justify not being a modkill.)

When the modkill happens, it is usually the fault of a single player. As a result, the modkill would be executing that single player. A single player ruining the game should have the damage they do have the least-damaging impact on the rest of the game. Ending the day only magnifies the damage already inflicted, so I wouldn't.

I would further add a distinction, albeit a subjective one, between intentionally-modkillable offenses and accidental slips. If intentional, convert to neutral survivor. If accidental, then it's cruelty piled on cruelty: an innocent mistake (which can happen!) leading to being considered auto-losing is something unnecessary to inflict.

Basically, modkills are used only to maintain the integrity of the game, nothing more. Obviously, if you need a modkill, the game's integrity has already been compromised...but you still want the course of action which is
least
compromising to game integrity. USUALLY, the best way to maintain integrity of the game after a modkill is to keep the day going, with reset votes.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:33 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

My thinking is to do whatever is most damaging to the faction the player was part of.

When I looked at my last ruleset though I explicitly stated they ended the day. As long as players know what to expect in the rules it's not that much of a problem.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Post by kuribo »

In Polite Mafia variations, such as Uncouth, modkills are an expected and encouraged game mechanic, and therefore do not end the day.

I realize that’s a very specific ruleset.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 am

Post by callforjudgement »

If the player got modkilled intentionally in an attempt to break the game to benefit the rest of their faction (not withstanding the fact that they wouldn't win themselves), end the day if town, keep the day going if scum. That's rare, but it's a safety valve you need to have.

In other cases, it's normally safe to keep the day going, in the interests of doing as little damage to the gamestate as possible. It'll depend on the exact nature of the infraction and the exact unfair advantage that players got from it, though. (If nobody gets an unfair advantage from the incident that caused the modkill, or the fact of the modkill itself, it's normally safe to force-replace instead of modkill, which is much less damaging. In a few cases, you can fix the gamestate by force-replacing an innocent player in addition to the offending player (typically in cases where the offending player PMed the innocent player illegally and the innocent player reported the PM).)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:51 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

Keep the day going. If you end the day because of a modkill, it effectively replaces the lynch but in a way that town had no control over it, which is weird for gameplay reasons IMO.
deranged and incoherent
?
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:55 am

Post by Ectomancer »

This is a question that should be answered by a mod in real time; not in a thread titled "Should modkills end the day phase".
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”