Mafia Software - Is There Any?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Telamon
Telamon
Watcher
Telamon
Watcher
Watcher

Mafia Software - Is There Any?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:24 pm

Post by Telamon »

I've recently become interested in the intersection of the real life, played in person, game of mafia and computers. As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am writing a mafia simulator. I was wondering, does anyone know of any other mafia-related software out there?

I've Googled for things, but mafia has a very general name and it's very hard to get good results.

I was just wondering if anyone had come across anything.

My friend and I were tossing around the idea of building an online mafia game with 3d avatars (for gesturing and things like that), as a kind of mixed-media project for school. Does anyone know of an existing project that does this?

Another interest I have is developing a formal language for describing different special roles in mafia. With such a language one could write an extendable computer simulation that would be able to reason out the optimal strategy to try in any situation. This is an esoteric problem, but one that any well writen automated-moderator type program would have had to have solved. So if anyone knows of a program like that, I'd love to hear about it.

I haven't been able to find any mafia-related software at all :-(.
Let be be finale of seem, seems to me.
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~jjshed/blog]Blog: Shedletsky's Bits[/url]
Malaprop
Malaprop
Goon
Malaprop
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:15 am

Post by Malaprop »

I've played with making some and posted it because it came up in the game. http://malaprop.netflint.net It's OK so far, not yet sure how much I like it.
[size=84]gim sumun.bi shà-thir-ma u ba-rì[/size]
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:02 am

Post by mathcam »

My friend and I were tossing around the idea of building an online mafia game with 3d avatars (for gesturing and things like that), as a kind of mixed-media project for school. Does anyone know of an existing project that does this?
Definitely not. I'd be an eager volunteer for play-tester if you'd like, though.

Cam
shadyforce
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
shadyforce
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E
U-S-E_T-H-E_F-O-R-C-E

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:05 am

Post by shadyforce »

Me too.
[size=75][color=darkblue]I'm never wrong... well I was wrong once but that was when I thought I'd made a mistake but hadn't.[/color][/size]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:54 pm

Post by Norinel »

As a minor point, you may want to have the picture analysis posted for a game that isn't running at the moment, as that could theoretically be considered discussing the game outside the thread.
Malaprop
Malaprop
Goon
Malaprop
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:17 am

Post by Malaprop »

I actually originally posted it in the game thread; there's deliberately nothing to my post here.
[size=84]gim sumun.bi shà-thir-ma u ba-rì[/size]
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:39 pm

Post by jeep »

There are six softwares that I know of:
1. Mith's probability calculator, written in C
2. Antrax's random game runner that iterates a game many times making random choices... written in Pascal
3. JEEP's probablity calculator (written in C++ and Perl, but I consider them both the same program...)

All three agree with the numbers given on the theory page here. I have all three and can make them available with permission from Antrax and mith.

4. I have also written a more detailed program that is pretty slick, if I say so myself. It has some intellegence built into masons and mafia groups. It's still a work in progress. It's written in Perl. I'm trying to port it to Python, too.

5. I've recently taken the above, mixed it with the dissertation material I'm writing and am writing JEEPBot. When it's finished I want to have it play a game. It's a mix of PHP and Perl so far. I'd estimate that JEEPBot is 50% complete.

6. I have an analyzer for the set up with 12 player with n mafia and 12-n cops with known sanities.

-JEEP
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:06 pm

Post by Talitha »

Ha! Playing a game with JEEPbot would be hilarious. Can't wait. :)
Dasquian
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Dasquian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:53 pm

Post by Dasquian »

I'd like to write a program similar to Malaprop's, which doesn't do much active analysis but provides you with the tools to do your own. I'm thinking you'd enter anything noteworthy into it (votes, FOSes, defenses, bad logic, claims, etc) along with other relevant factors (posting time, post length, vehemence of post, etc), and then be able to get feedback about various players.

So you'd be able to get various indexes of how pairings of players have acted towards each other in the game, or see who's starting bandwagons and who's perenially following them, who's quick to jump on bandwagons, etc. I'd like to think that you'd get noted bonds between the mafia that would be easy to miss browsing the thread for clues. Basically it'd be Malaprop's program but with some extra calculations with the info it provides :)

Of course like any logical analysis tool it'd be less useful the less logically the mafia are playing but, well, that's the game ;)
[size=84]QUACK[/size]
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:45 am

Post by PolarBoy »

I myself have been working on and off on a metagame helper tool. It's hard to describe exactly what it does, seeing as it's only in the conceptual stages, but I think it'll help with my metagame once I get it up and running.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]

Return to “Mafia Discussion”