Geriatric Ruleset Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Geriatric Ruleset Discussion Thread

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:00 am

Post by Aristophanes »

The Geriatric Players Club is a group of players who have agreed upon a new restricted play ruleset.

This thread is for discussions around that ruleset, as the other Geriatric thread is for game organization, not discussion.

Try to keep it civil! We old farts can be a little rude at times :P
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:09 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

Thanks for making this.

Would games that use that ruleset have an average of a longer day length? Let's say that the average is two weeks per day phase. Or would this be a case by case scenario depending on the Mod?
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:16 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 1, AnonymousGhost wrote:Thanks for making this.

Would games that use that ruleset have an average of a longer day length? Let's say that the average is two weeks per day phase. Or would this be a case by case scenario depending on the Mod?
Generally this would be mod-decided I believe. However, the idea behind this ruleset is a nicer pace to games. It's likely that the deadline won't be reached anyway judging by the players involved and our goal to use our posts maximally. An extended dayphase seems like a way to get more posts in despite that being the opposite of the ruleset's intention.

I am curious what you have to say as an argument for longer day phases though. Discussion around this is a great idea :)
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:10 pm

Post by mastina »

Technically speaking the truest of the true geriatrics would have NO deadline, since that's what we used to have back in the day, but I think that even they have moved on from that and are perfectly content with 10-21-day deadlines. (Rough estimate; a week and a half at the lower range; three weeks at the higher range.)
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

Point for longer day phases:

- Limited # of posts per day = less "space" available to players to convince their fellows that so and so is a certain alignment

This is a bit moot because probably it's a case by case base for each player and how charismatic they are. In theory, the more charismatic they are the less posts they'll have to use to persuade the other players that so and so is of a certain alignment.

There is another point that I would like to discuss.
As an overly general rule, any post that is shorter than three sentences is too short, and any post that doesn't fit on a single computer screen is too long.
I think the latter half of the rule is too subjective. The size of a computer screen can vary depending on the make, model, and price. Then you have to factor in what is and what is not a computer and whether or not someone is viewing the post in a browser that was stretched to the length of the screen or not.

I think the replacement could be

a.) a certain number of paragraphs per post

or

b.) fit into a one page document

The paragraphs per post could be Mod-decided, but there should probably be a limit to the number of run on sentences allowed in a post. We want to avoid someone's sentence becoming the size a paragraph.

I kinda like the one page document idea better. Basically, someone would type out their post into the "Quick Reply" space and then copy and paste it into a Word file - any type of software where the page displayed fits the standard printing paper size - to see if it would fit within a page or not. Then they could edit it as they see fit, repaste it into "Quick Reply" and then hit "Submit".
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Post by Espeonage »

In post 363, Espeonage wrote:In the interest of discussion. Would this group like to try a geriatric game under 'get a room' mechanics?

It was a ruleset devised by Plotinus that allowed particularly dense arguments to be taken to a private pt for three days. This mechanic required people to vote in favour of the room being made. While the pt is open the players may not talk about or to the person they have a pt with, but may vote them.

I feel this actually compliments the geriatric ruleset nicely as my main issue personally with playing under it is that I feel sometimes it is necessary to have a large volume of posts to read tones, or to argue a particularly poignant point in detail. The kind of debate that requires frequent input from both sides. These cases are resolved with get a room.

I also have a feeling geriatric is scum leaning and get a room is town leaning. But I may be wrong.

All that said I love and am in full support of the movement even though it is not for me.
I believe this got drowned by the arguments.
Don't @ me.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:51 pm

Post by Mulch »

excellent a new thread
Amrock#3784
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:51 am

Post by Kagami »

10 posts / day is an awful lot.

I don't know if my posting would follow conventional "geriatric" guidelines, and I almost never hit that.
Napoleon III
Napoleon III
Townie
Napoleon III
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:54 am

Post by Napoleon III »

In post 7, Kagami wrote:10 posts / day is an awful lot.

I don't know if my posting would follow conventional "geriatric" guidelines, and I almost never hit that.
Part of the Geriatric ideal is to not need those 10 posts. I also thought they were a very high marker for a daily post max, but it allows some discussion to occur, some back and forth, while restricting it from getting out of hand. I don't anticipate most Geriatric players coming close to that daily maximum on any sort of regular basis.
Napoleon III
Napoleon III
Townie
Napoleon III
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:56 am

Post by Napoleon III »

In post 5, Espeonage wrote:
In post 363, Espeonage wrote:In the interest of discussion. Would this group like to try a geriatric game under 'get a room' mechanics?

It was a ruleset devised by Plotinus that allowed particularly dense arguments to be taken to a private pt for three days. This mechanic required people to vote in favour of the room being made. While the pt is open the players may not talk about or to the person they have a pt with, but may vote them.

I feel this actually compliments the geriatric ruleset nicely as my main issue personally with playing under it is that I feel sometimes it is necessary to have a large volume of posts to read tones, or to argue a particularly poignant point in detail. The kind of debate that requires frequent input from both sides. These cases are resolved with get a room.

I also have a feeling geriatric is scum leaning and get a room is town leaning. But I may be wrong.

All that said I love and am in full support of the movement even though it is not for me.
I believe this got drowned by the arguments.
Can you link an example game? It sounds interesting but I'd love to see it in action before commenting.
Geriatric Alt of Aristophanes

Vive la France!
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:51 am

Post by Korts »

Espe, that sounds like a good idea.
scumchat never die
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Post by Espeonage »

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=64506

This was the one I played in where it had revised limits to stop us breaking the game with it like we did in the first one.
Don't @ me.
Hinduragi
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:04 pm

Post by Hinduragi »

I like the get a room mechanic. I also think the two may correlate to different faction win percentages. I'd love to put them to the test and see.

Also, I don't know if I'm on the list but I'd like to /in for the geriatric games if/when anyone hosts them. The last time I played here in Saga Frontier I literally got outposted to the point that I couldn't read the posts to keep up with the game (neither could my buddy and we were in a hydra ffs). I'd like to play at a normal pace again please. One spammer is fine but 4+ per game is ridiculous.
Napoleon III
Napoleon III
Townie
Napoleon III
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:12 pm

Post by Napoleon III »

In post 12, Hinduragi wrote:Also, I don't know if I'm on the list but I'd like to /in for the geriatric games if/when anyone hosts them.
That's probably a post to be made in the other thread :)
Geriatric Alt of Aristophanes

Vive la France!
Hinduragi
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Hinduragi
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:29 pm

Post by Hinduragi »

In post 13, Napoleon III wrote:
In post 12, Hinduragi wrote:Also, I don't know if I'm on the list but I'd like to /in for the geriatric games if/when anyone hosts them.
That's probably a post to be made in the other thread :)
I know. I just really wanted to add it into my post here and see if I could get away with it >_>

nothing to see here *whistles*
sheepsaysmeep
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
sheepsaysmeep
he
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:30 pm

Post by sheepsaysmeep »

i post one liners :/
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Post by DiamondSentinel »

So, I like this attack on the spam meta. However, one thing that might want to be addressed here: it doesn't actually stop spam in essence. 10 posts in 24 hours is still more than enough to cause some players to gloss over the thread. That's, in an average game, 140 posts per game day. About average, if a bit high, if someone uses them all.

It's one thing if a player is posting actual content, or a discourse with another (or better yet, multiple) players, but for a certain subset of players, it doesn't change the fact that they can fill up the thread with meaningless posts.

Of course, this is a problem with a mentality of players, so it'd be hard to change in essence, and I recognize that. I'm simply pointing out that this is only addressing a symptom of the problem, rather than the problem itself, and not even in its entirety.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:03 am

Post by Creature »

Not everybody will post 10 times per real life day and 10p¹ posts per real life day isn't that hard to catch up.

¹ = p meaning the number of players
Sigh
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:52 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

Quality over quantity is what I think Geriatric supporters are hoping for. If a player posts nothing but game advancing one liners than they should be fine.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Prodge
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:29 pm

Post by Aeronaut »

it's so ironic that this discussion thread is only a page long
2023 W/L | 1-0
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:30 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

It's the opposite of ironic actually it's perfectly fitting.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Post by Aeronaut »

Actually, u right
2023 W/L | 1-0
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 476, AnonymousGhost wrote:
In post 475, xRECKONERx wrote:778 was more a case of bad modding killing game momentum
Solution
: have non-geriatric players mod geriatric games
Discuss.

Should non-Geriatric players mod Geriatric games?
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
Katyusha
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:41 pm

Post by Katyusha »

ya

in all seriousness i don't really see why this is an issue. plus a non-geriatric player is more likely to be active constantly which is always a boon for a moderator
eddie cane

Return to “Mafia Discussion”