Why alts?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
eth0s
eth0s
Mafia Scum
eth0s
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Why alts?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Post by eth0s »

I am a bit surprised by the number of alts I have played with that openly name their main account in the game thread. I get that some people may not care about the anonymity of their alt, but wish to use a different playstyle/dialect on a certain account. But other than this "roleplaying" aspect, what is the point of having an alt while giving out your main acct name? Can you even really keep your main identity a secret?
it's a zero in my name (for PM purposes etc)
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:33 am

Post by Mathdino »

paging
mastina
on this one
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:09 am

Post by mastina »

There are any number of reasons. Habit, from when the alt
was
secret, can be among them. Another prominent reason is simply a permanent intent to switch accounts--mastina is my main, not mastin2 and certainly not Mastin, even though those accounts were mine and predate the creation of mastina. However, even discarding those, alts often can have gimmicks attached to them, which means that roleplaying is part of the fun behind them. There's no pragmatic function (except when there is--see below point), but an alt can be a wonderful opportunity to just have fun immersing yourself in the character established.

Pragmatically, alts are often largely used to explore. They are an escape. This does not need to require secrecy--secret alts obvious have greater freedom to explore, but even a public alt can end up able to play in a different way otherwise unavailable to them on their main. This experimentation is rather excellent for growth, since the curiosity behind "what if this were different", "what if this wasn't there", "what if this WAS there", and so on and so forth, traits easily investigated on an alt but which can be harder to do on a main which is 'established' as it were, allows for improvement and evolution in playstyles.

tl;dr, alts not only give extra fun for the game, but also give an opportunity to explore and potentially grow as a player by forcing someone to think outside their established mold.
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 am

Post by profii »

I am not a fan of alts. This site seems to have more fake accounts than instagram.

I don't see why a good player can't try some alternative play styles and feel confident enough to refute any unwanted pressure if it is based on meta reads.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 am

Post by mastina »

In post 3, profii wrote:I don't see why a good player can't try some alternative play styles and feel confident enough to refute any unwanted pressure if it is based on meta reads.
Peer pressure is something, and people can feel trapped by expectations of them. mastina MUST do this, mastina CANNOT do that. These are things which no amount of skill can fully cast aside the existence of them being present, especially since on some subconscious level, the user themselves may believe the sentiment expressed: "I must do this, I can't do that" may not cross their mind, but their reflected actions often suggest on some level it was influencing them.

Every player has a natural persona about them. The ability to change said persona
does
exist, but without alts it is an incredibly gradual shift by and large. There's very little revolutionary leaps and bounds in playstyle for any player who has already established firm footing. Thus, alts are an easy way to attempt this with little consequence. If it fails, then oh well.

I personally think the process works better with anonymous alts which is why in spite of having more alts than Faraday (mostly unused and of those used most have only one game), I've outed none of them. (Granted, nowadays when I use an alt, it's mostly for the gimmick I invent for that alt because the gimmicks are fun, as mentioned.) But anonymity is optional for the process I describe.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:29 am

Post by schadd_ »

yeah the point seems to be signalling. i care SO much about changing my playstyle, or i care SO much about taking on a different persona, or i care SO much about this one anime that i'm going to use a whole different account

signalling to oneself and other folks
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

eth0s
eth0s
Mafia Scum
eth0s
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:41 am

Post by eth0s »

Thanks for the responses, all.
it's a zero in my name (for PM purposes etc)
NicoRobin
NicoRobin
Mafia Scum
NicoRobin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:35 am

Post by NicoRobin »

I am a proud alt of
Keel
. Pleased to meet you.

-obligatory joke post-
vonfrost
vonfrost
Watcher
vonfrost
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 am

Post by vonfrost »

im new here whats an alt
MewThree
MewThree
I am not a cat!
MewThree
I am not a cat!
I am not a cat!

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 am

Post by MewThree »

I'd also like to know
SlappyKrust
Pizza Zizi
Pizza Zizi
Watcher
Pizza Zizi
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:46 am

Post by Pizza Zizi »

eat pizza
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:10 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

alts r dumb ty
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

In post 7, NicoRobin wrote:I am a proud alt of
Keel
Weird.
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:55 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Cheetory6 that vonflare quote actually made me think something slightly different. "If 3 out of 5 people suffer from insomnia, why are we trying to sleep at night?"
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”