Private threads - keep or remove dead player access?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
numberQ
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Private threads - keep or remove dead player access?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:20 am

Post by numberQ »

Just wondering what the standard is for this, or what thoughts there might be on the subject. When someone with access to a private thread is killed, should they still have access to that private thread? Obviously they shouldn't be able to post in it, but what about just to read? Assume otherwise normal rules, i.e., no daytalk or other funky communication quirks.
Hey!
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:35 am

Post by Aeronaut »

Huh, I just just wondering this the other day. I know a lot of people who are really anal about it, but i've never seen a reason to. What's it going to affect if dead players can see shit?

I mean, I even will often give dead players access to ALL PTs, just because why not? With the exception of one game where dead players still got a vote.
2023 W/L | 1-0
numberQ
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
numberQ
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:58 am

Post by numberQ »

That makes sense to me. As long as the dead player doesn't post anything I guess there's really nothing wrong with allowing them to at least see it.
Hey!
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:52 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

Bump
This is a pet peeve of mine since I've started to see it happen more as scum and it's annoying so I want to hear the logic behind it.
Why do mods do this? Scum already know who scum are why remove their access from reading that pt. Is it to prevent accidentally posting after death? Why would "player is now dead and can no longer post here" not be enough; how often does someone normally killed in a game not notice and keep posting anyways? I'm really curious why this happens.
deranged and incoherent
?
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:03 am

Post by StefanB »

Perhaps because players have screwed up, before?
I don't think you need to remove access for normal players, but it shows you are dead, you can't post here.
It makes it more difficult for scum to spoiler the dead players, which everyone can do by acident.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:39 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Removing pt access makes sense if you can't trust someone to stop posting in the topic after they died.
If that's the case, you probably should have WOTM'd them pregame.
Therefore you should, as a policy, not remove PT access after death (obviously barring wacky mechanics games where dead people may not be fully dead or similarly weird stuff)
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:45 am

Post by callforjudgement »

The only times I remove dead players' access to their old PTs are a) when it's needed due to setup mechanics (e.g. if the dead thread has a vote), or b) if there's been the need for heavy/emergency moderator intervention in the game (e.g. a mod error occurred, or a slot had to be outright modkilled). (The latter case is because keeping a setup alive after intervention normally relies on being as unclear as possible as to what happened and this makes it harder to work it out. Additionally, if you have to reroll alignments, leaving the old scum PT readable gives the pre-reroll scum an advantage.)

I can't see a good reason to remove PT access otherwise (except at the dead player's request, if they want to follow the game without spoilers for some reason), and leaving it open makes things more fun for the player in question in the spectator thread.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Post by Ircher »

I would argue it helps prevent this them from posting in the wrong thread by accident.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:49 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Well, I've never seen a dead townie post in the game thread by mistake (it might have happened, but if so I haven't seen it), and scum posting things meant for the scum thread in the game thread is incredibly rare. Likewise, I don't think I've seen scum get their scum and neighbour threads mixed up (although opportunities to do that are fairly rare).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue May 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Post by Maruchan »

I'm against removing access. prior to PTs was QTs and pnce you linked a QT to someone, there was no getting it back. So in the days of old, you couldn't restrict access to the mafia topic, so the days of now I don't see why we should. It worked fine for the first half of the site's life to not do so.
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat May 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Post by PokerFace »

You trust a dead player to not post in the real game after death. You should be able to trust them to not post in the scum pt after death. If they do post on accident then you can worry about that after it happens. Don't penalize them in advance.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”