VARSOON'S GUIDE TO MODDING

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:35 am

Post by Alisae »

Also as a side note.
I hate it when my players prod me for a votecount while I am asleep and/or in class.
And like, I understand their needs and I love them.
It's just like, if I am asleep, of course I am not going to be able to bring a votecount. Especially if I have to go through 30 pages. Which, has happened before. Like, I feel bad for FA who had to go through 60 pages in a 32p game just to be fully caught up and do a VC in the rematch of The Real Folk Blues.
But when I wake up, the first thing I try to do if I'm not immediately busy with something, is to do a votecount.
And when I get a ping from someone to do a votecount while I am asleep, it makes me feel like my players don't trust me to provide a vc. And that kind of feeling just hurts me.

Also (I don't really think this has ever happened to me though), I usually have a vc somewhat done before class. So while I'm in class, I should be able to hope that that vc is enough to last my players 3 hours. So it kinda just annoys me if someone were to ping me for a vc while I am in class because I feel powerless to provide one.

Basicly why I hate being prodded for votecounts is
  • It makes me feel like as a mod you don't trust me to deliver a prompt vc whenever I can.
  • I'm not chained to my computer, and as a result, pinging me for a vc when I can't provide one makes me feel powerless as a mod.
  • I may have to read through 30 pages given the current site meta just to provided a vc. So seeing a ping in the middle of those 30 pages just looks like a huge fuck you sign.
GTKAS
| here.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:38 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 50, Alisae wrote:Also as a side note.
I hate it when my players prod me for a votecount while I am asleep and/or in class.
It's just like, if I am asleep, of course I am not going to be able to bring a votecount. Especially if I have to go through 30 pages. Which, has happened before. Like, I feel bad for FA who had to go through 60 pages in a 32p game just to be fully caught up and do a VC in the rematch of The Real Folk Blues.
But when I wake up, the first thing I try to do if I'm not immediately busy with something, is to do a votecount.
And when I get a ping from someone to do a votecount while I am asleep, it makes me feel like my players don't trust me to provide a vc. And that kind of feeling just hurts me.

Also (I don't really think this has ever happened to me though), I usually have a vc somewhat done before class. So while I'm in class, I should be able to hope that that vc is enough to last my players 3 hours. So it kinda just annoys me if someone were to ping me for a vc while I am in class because I feel powerless to provide one.

• It makes me feel like as a mod you don't trust me to deliver a prompt vc whenever I can.
  • I'm not chained to my computer, and as a result, pinging me for a vc when I can provide one makes me feel powerless as a mod.
  • I may have to read through 30 pages given the current site meta just to provided a vc. So seeing a ping in the middle of those 30 pages just looks like a huge fuck you sign.
Perhaps have in your signature(or the opening posts of the game) the times you generally won't be available and express this sentiment there, so people don't bug you. Also, immediately making a placeholder post saying something like VC incoming as soon as i catch up on x pages will let people who are actively there know that a VC is incoming, so they won't bother you while you're catching up.

I completely appreciate your feelings on the matter, I just think some clearer communication will keep players who are overzealous from bugging you about things you're already doing/doing your best to do.
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:43 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

Varsoon now you're tempting me to make a setup that breaks everything that you posted here.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:46 am

Post by Alisae »

Cerby that's actually not a bad idea thank you.
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:56 am

Post by Alisae »

Also is it just me, or do others hate it when the mod talks about themselves in third person like
"The mod will be V/LA and as such may not be able to provide as frequent vcs"
or
"The mod got addicted to PSO2 and as a result may not be able to provide a vc as frequently because lolmmo stuff."

I only do it with my prods because my c/p for my prods is cute, and even then I say "Alisaes" because its cute.

Like, just be personal with your players and be yourself, because garsh darn it people like you for who you are (hopefully).
Like, if I said "Hey, I'm going on a vacation for 2 weeks and someone will provide vcs for me while I'm gone. I'll try to answer anything I can but I'm only limited to mobile and don't even know if I'll have a stable connection." I feel like that that connects me more to my players if I'm addressing them on that level.
GTKAS
| here.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:08 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 54, Alisae wrote:Also is it just me, or do others hate it when the mod talks about themselves in third person like
or
"The mod got addicted to PSO2 and as a result may not be able to provide a vc as frequently because lolmmo stuff."

I only do it with my prods because my c/p for my prods is cute, and even then I say "Alisaes" because its cute.

Like, just be personal with your players and be yourself, because garsh darn it people like you for who you are (hopefully).
Like, if I said "Hey, I'm going on a vacation for 2 weeks and someone will provide vcs for me while I'm gone. I'll try to answer anything I can but I'm only limited to mobile and don't even know if I'll have a stable connection." I feel like that that connects me more to my players if I'm addressing them on that level.
I've never seen a mod do what you just described.

It does sound terrible.
beeboy
beeboy
Survivor
beeboy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:14 am

Post by beeboy »

Mods aren't people.
They are just tools to provide me with mafia games.
ah yes, beeboy style reads;
if this person flips town, then i'll townread them. - Nahdia
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:17 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 52, GuyInFreezer wrote:Varsoon now you're tempting me to make a setup that breaks everything that you posted here.
...I'd play it.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 am

Post by MathBlade »

I use automated tools to let people provide themselves with a VC when I can’t. :)
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:31 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 54, Alisae wrote:Also is it just me, or do others hate it when the mod talks about themselves in third person like
or

I wanna try speaking this way as a player.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:21 am

Post by yessiree »

In post 38, Varsoon wrote:And if we take it waaay waaay back to what's technically the first theme game I ran (although I did run a series of 'themed' 5p Vengeful games, but those didn't really have unique rolecards), here's something from Varsoon Mafia:

Spoiler: THE CAT ON VARSOON'S HEAD
Hello, Caledfwitch. Welcome to Varsoon Mafia.
You are
The Cat on Varsoon's Head
, aligned with
Village Idiots
You have the
Power
of
Deception
:
You are immune to all abilities as people mistakenly target a pompadour that they did not realize is actually a cat.

You win when the
Village Idiots
are the only faction with living members in the game.
You lose when the
Village Idiots
faction is wiped out or if there is nothing that can keep them from all dying.
mfw the yazuka hairstyle is actually a cat ALL THIS TIME :eek: :eek:
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:56 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

lol I think someone noted it in a game and I was like "WHOAH THAAT'S AMAZING"
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:35 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

If I wanted to start dipping my hand into modding, how would I start writing? Should I just PM myself the info? Is it possible to get a PT? What do people usually do?
Vaxkiller is not anti-vaccine, he is a killer of Vax machines.

Games played.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:10 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 62, Vaxkiller wrote:If I wanted to start dipping my hand into modding, how would I start writing? Should I just PM myself the info? Is it possible to get a PT? What do people usually do?
With the games I've been involved with developing(none of which actually exist yet) we've used google documents and such to coordinate input into the conversation. I imagine you can do the same for a game you're working on yourself. ^^

Perhaps some of the awesome mods have their own methodology for keeping everything organized for their own games though.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:58 am

Post by callforjudgement »

You should probably have a mod PT. Among other things, that lets you give access to a listmod so that the game can be recovered if you have to take an extended V/LA for some reason. You can then make the PT public when the game's over to give the players an accurate record of everything that happened (which is something that they often care about, because Mafia games typically have a lot of hidden information). I think that most listmods are happy to create PTs for use by moderators planning a game (or you could just find a backup mod or reviewer who can create one for you; if it's a Closed game, you'll need a reviewer anyway, and if it's an Open, there's not much point in taking notes until the playerlist has been locked in and you'll have PT powers at that point).

Here's an example of a mod PT for a simple Open. I did the role randomization using dice tags in the PT, but some mods prefer random.org.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:42 am

Post by Varsoon »

In post 62, Vaxkiller wrote:If I wanted to start dipping my hand into modding, how would I start writing? Should I just PM myself the info? Is it possible to get a PT? What do people usually do?
I always make a Mod PT and a Setup PT. While I take notes for myself in document programs, I also make sure to have the entire setup and all actions I've received to be in a place that I can share it with players in post-game. Also, as callforjudgement wrote, you'll want to have all of that just in case something does come up and you need a backup mod or someone to continue the game for you.

When you're modding, if you DON'T have the ability to create threads and PTs, just PM a listmod asking for what you need. I've had permissions for awhile now, so I just create the PTs I need, which is very helpful since I tend to make several for every game I run. I usually end up with a Setup PT, Mod PT, PTs for any hydras in my game, Dead Thread, Spectator Thread, Neighborhood PTs, etc.

The cool thing about using a PT instead of just working only in a document file is that you can play with your formatting and see how it'd actually look on-site/on-screen. As I said, I always have my first few pages ready to go in a PT, so I can just copy and paste them into the game thread. It's useful to be able to look at what your opening posts and VC will actually look like on a compute and phone screen, for the sake of having appealing formatting.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:29 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

Thanks guys!
Vaxkiller is not anti-vaccine, he is a killer of Vax machines.

Games played.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:08 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 51, Cerberus v666 wrote:
In post 50, Alisae wrote:Also as a side note.

• I'm not chained to my computer, and as a result, pinging me for a vc when I can provide one makes me feel powerless as a mod.
Perhaps have in your signature(or the opening posts of the game) the times you generally won't be available and express this sentiment there, so people don't bug you. Also, immediately making a placeholder post saying something like VC incoming as soon as i catch up on x pages will let people who are actively there know that a VC is incoming, so they won't bother you while you're catching up.

I completely appreciate your feelings on the matter, I just think some clearer communication will keep players who are overzealous from bugging you about things you're already doing/doing your best to do.
I just find giving people a tool to do it themselves prevents that.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:55 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

If I mod a huge game I won't go in without something to help with votes
But so far my plans are generally around 20p games at most
<Embrace The Void>

Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon May 14, 2018 8:42 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 5, beeboy wrote:I am a stupid loser who has nothing of value to add to this thread but I want to post in it anyway.
This is actually the optimal egopost.
I should use this from now on.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue May 15, 2018 6:27 am

Post by Psyche »

geez even this thread's op is well-formatted
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm

Return to “Mafia Discussion”