The Third Party debacle.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 0, JaydragonKing wrote:Alright guys, I want a legitimate discussion on the roles classified as "Third Party" and what they actually do around here.

Question One: What effects Third Parties could have if even one of them is in your game?

Question Two: If we could have one more third party be legal in Normal Games, which would it be?

Question Three: is there a preferred or hated type of Third Party site wide?

Question Four: Probably should have been one, but your favorite Third Party?
1) I'd never create a third party that could result in, like, a very-early end. I have an off-site game I'm working on that has a clockmaker type-role, but it has a further win condition on top of its main role.
2) Not Survivor, pretty unfun if you die and it leads to kingmaker scenarios. I'd think something like Arsonist might be interesting.
3) I don't get this: is it asking if I hate one or the site does? If it's the site Jester is pretty reviled it seems.
4) Amnesiac. You get to pick your alignment.
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

Question One: What effects Third Parties could have if even one of them is in your game?

Depending on the win con, they either shouldn't or should stand as an object of opposition to the other game ending factions i.e. town or mafia.

Neutral 3Ps - survivors - generally play as Pro-Town, but I have seen variations of Anti-town 3Ps that weren't an SK. This is a game where I played as a Pro-town 3rd party One Shot Judge/Compulsive Vengeful w/ a Win Con that required me to lynch/kill a non-town player. There was another 3P player who was basically the opposite. The role sheet is here, if you're interested.

Question Two: If we could have one more third party be legal in Normal Games, which would it be?

Normal game size is ~13 players, isn't it? One 3P is enough for that "small" of a game.

Haven't been here long enough to know.

Haven't played enough 3P to know.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:05 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Normals can be any size
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
JaydragonKing
JaydragonKing
Mafia Scum
JaydragonKing
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Post by JaydragonKing »

I asked that question as a recommendation to see which one seemed fair enough- only Serial Killer is possible in Normal Games at the moment. I'm asking if one more could be legal to use in normal games, which one would that be?
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

Hmm.

As a
very
broad catch-all, I'd say as long as you advertise/warn players that a certain 3rd party player/role will exist, then it's "okay".

Cult Roles - This is definitely stretching the ability to be put into the Normal category and would require players to be warned beforehand that this role exists. Roles that counter cults would have to exist too.

Lyncher - The only catch for this Lyncher is that having a Mafia Lynchee might make the Lyncher's job too easy because the majority is more motivated to lynch the lyncher's target.

Jester - Probably okay, just erase the fact that it causes an abrupt endgame to allow for the other players to enjoy playing without fear of endgaming too soon and loosing an opportunity to play the game just because the Jester was obvious lynch bait and the majority fell for it.

Mime - This role is probably going to need the same amount of help an SK might need. If there's a Mafia Mime, that could potentially screw over the Mafia. These might need to be town exclusive just for the sake of not screwing over one game ending faction over the other just because of its mere existence.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

EWBOP:

Mime - Could also be expanded to allow for an expanded Win Con to "Wins when all other faction members have been removed from the game". Winning via lynch removal benefits Mime as scum more than town because town is almost guaranteed to be the only ones dying during the Night, thereby depriving the town Mime of achieving its Win Con by N1.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

Then again, looking at the wiki, the Mime sounds like it was a role made to screw the mafia over.

:l

Sounds like fun.
/sarcasm
Talk Fast, Think Faster

TesXX
TesXX
Mafia Scum
TesXX
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:23 am

Post by TesXX »

In post 0, JaydragonKing wrote:Alright guys, I want a legitimate discussion on the roles classified as "Third Party" and what they actually do around here.

1. They can make things more complicated, because you're hunting for mafia while also keeping a third party from achieving their goal as well (jesters and lynchers are a good example)
2. TBH maybe arsonist
3. I don't think there are that many common agreements over third parties, some people hate them and some people love them. I wouldn't really be able to tell you this one.
4. Jester or SK, probably jester
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

By definition, Third Parties break the standard balance property that what's good for town is bad for scum, and vice versa. As a result, they make optimal play a lot more complex; for example, it can sometimes benefit scum in a game with a Serial Killer to look mildly scummy, so that they don't end up getting killed by the SK if they're trying to hit town; and it can often benefit town in a game with a Jester to
not
lynch someone who's more or less certainly anti-town. In general, games work better if everyone has a straightforward idea of what sort of play will work towards their win condition, and third parties kind-of interfere with that.
I'd be against adding any sort of additional third party to Normals. If I had to, I'd try to sneak some of my favourites in, on the basis that they're my favourites because they're less damaging to a game than normal, and on the basis that they're more Normal-appropriate than the most commonly accepted sort of third party.
Jester, Lyncher, Survivor, and Cult Leader are all sufficiently hated that at one point, many moderators would put up signup disclaimers saying that their game didn't contain any of those, as players wouldn't join the setup anyway. (Out of these four, the Cult is probably the least disliked; players will absolutely hate you if you put one in a setup unannounced, but if you design a setup from the outside as a Cult game, mention that in the setup advertising, and get a
really
good reviewer to make sure the balance works, you'll get players. Try that with a Lyncher or Survivor, and you won't. Try that with a Jester, and you probably will but you might not like how the resulting game goes.)

More oddball third parties tend to be more widely accepted, especially if they tie into a Theme game's special mechanics. Something along the lines of "Serial Killer + some relevant immunities + something powerful that ties into the game's mechanics" is fairly common and doesn't unduly annoy players (other than, on occasion, the player who actually draws the role).
I tend to only like third party roles which encourage players to do something that they would have been doing anyway with more standard win conditions. For example, an Unjester has incentives to not get lynched (obviously), but also to scumhunt/townhunt well and try to get rid of scum via the lynch (because that'll make them a threat to scum and thus more likely to get nightkilled as a result). That sounds a lot like a Vanilla Townie, doesn't it? The roles definitely aren't identical, but they're similar enough that an Unjester probably won't ruin the game, for any of the three factions.

Another example would be a player who has to try to keep a particular scum player alive, and has an ability to communicate with them. It's not the same thing as being a member of the scumteam, but from a balance point of view, it's pretty similar, and likewise the other players won't have to do anything unusual to make the role work.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:57 pm

Post by kuribo »

In post 5, JaydragonKing wrote:You have a Jester

ew gross

/out
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Post by Beefster »

In post 17, Something_Smart wrote:I think there should be more 3P's that are explicitly designed to help town. The idea being that their interests align in general with the town's, but they can still have hidden agendas.

Two examples that come to mind.
I like both of those roles. I think this makes for an interesting category of third parties that actually work: protown third parties.

I think an Anti-Lyncher would fit in this category: (It would be a protown variant of a survivor)
The player gets the name of another player who is confirmed town (to that player). The Anti-Lyncher must protect that player from being lynched:
- If your Anti-Lynchee survives to endgame, you win.
- If your Anti-Lynchee is killed, you win and leave the game.
- If your Anti-Lynchee is lynched, you lose and leave the game.
- If you are killed or lynched before a win condition is reached, you lose.
Alternatively: you win with the town as long as your anti-lynchee is never lynched

You might be able to do pro-mafia third parties. Perhaps a Traitor-Survivor hybrid who wins by surviving to endgame with at least one Mafioso and who knows who the mafia is.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

That's basically an Informed Unlyncher, but with a Survivor condition to prevent them just claiming and having the town lynch them to test the claim. It doesn't seem impossible that it could work, but an Informed Townie probably works better. (For example, scum shooting the Unlyncher's target will remove two anti-scum players from the game, so it seems like the role isn't that protown after all, given that it wants a townie shot. Informed Townie doesn't have that problem.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”