Alicademy (A School of Modding)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:51 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I'm yes plsing the modification of text shadows
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Suppose you have a setup where dying is
good
for a player, rather than bad.

What's the best way to punish flagrant breaches of the rules in a setup like that? (Assume that the slot became confirmed town as a result of the rules breach, so you can't just force-replace the player.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

What's the connection there?
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:23 pm

It's something that actually happened in the past and it was unclear how to handle it. (What actually happened was that additional – if accidental – rules breaches shortly afterwards meant that we ended up having to abandon the setup, and rerun it with most of the same players, but it rather killed the momentum.)
scum
town
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:25 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Why is that familiar-sounding
Wasn't that the mislead 2 game?
<Embrace The Void>

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:35 pm

Yes.

I've played in plenty of other setups where dying is good, although luckily none of them have needed "modkills".
scum
town
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I think that a mod-kill would be apropos. and the effect of that on the game should depend on the setup (for what happened in mislead the effect should have been maybe a small penalty to town given the fact reso had confirmed himself as town thus creating the possibility to analyze interactions with reso)
<Embrace The Void>

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:37 pm

In Mislead 2, the town survives a whole trapcycle as a result of knowing reso's alignment and thus being unable to misguess it. (I think you could compensate by removing two flees from town in that case; adding reso's flee + the potential for all reso's guesses after fleeing to be correct + two other flees is enough to keep the EV of the setup the same after the first trapcycle is skipped. But the maths rarely works out that neatly.)
scum
town
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

You could remove reso's segment from the game
<Embrace The Void>

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:49 pm

A segment is basically 100% bad for town, as they win if and only if they survive every segment. So what would you replace it with?
scum
town
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

You're taking out the segment, so it doesn't affect wincons (basically it's as if the player wasn't in the game ever)
<Embrace The Void>

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Yes, and 6:2 Predict the Flip is considerably more townsided than 7:2 Predict the Flip. That's why the modkill benefits town.
scum
town
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:05 pm

Post by Alisae »

cfj the first thought that came to my mind was making them loved and take more then 1 or 2 votes to lynch or just making them lynchproof but I don't think that works for the particular situation your talking about :/
GTKAS
| here.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:57 pm

Right, I'm not sure there is a good option in these cases other than simply abandoning the game. At least it doesn't come up very often.

I've taken to putting a link to the site rules in red in my OPs in the hope that people who haven't read them yet will actually read them. So far, that's been successful in stopping this sort of game-destroying rules breach.
scum
town
Katyusha
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Katyusha
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Post by Katyusha »

In post 20, Alisae wrote:Shea linked this tool to allow you to check contrast.
Cant say if I remember if Shea provided this but the background colors for posts on each relevant theme are:
  • MafBlack background: #272727, #313131
  • MafSepia background: #E8DDC7, #E2D3BE
  • MafSilver background: #E6F4FF, #f7f7f7
  • PT: #70709f, #606098
You don't have to worry too hard about designing around MafBlack since it auto-adjusts your color if it's too dark. If you want to see what color it adjusted to you can just go on Inspect Element and it'll show up.

Be forewarned though that literally nothing completely passes on PTs as far as I'm aware.

I know it's kind of tangential but I figured this would be useful for people to know :]
eddie cane
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:28 pm

Post by Alisae »

Btw people want to know how to make tables.
Here is a post on that.

The main BBCodes you will be using will be

Code: Select all

[table] - Establishes the table. [table=hexcolor] to color the table.
[row] - establishes the row.
[cell] - establishes the cell within the row. Replaceable with [header]. Do not use with [cell]
[header] - creates a white background with black bolded text. It's good for well, headers. Replaceable with [cell]. Do not use with [cell]

Table 1: Basic Table with a color
Basic Table

basic header

To add the color to the table just put =hexcolor in the table code.
You won't need the # when you're doing this

Table 2: Table with only one column.
Character Name
picture
alignment
abilities
wincon

Table 3: Table with multiple columns
Name 1Name 2
stuff

This looks a bit more complicated but isn't. Say the number of cells you have in row 1 is 5 and in row 2 you have 3 cells. Without expanding the cell, it would look like this.
abcde
fgh
To expand itYou have to put = and then the number of cells you need to expland it byit works with header cells as well. The first cell on his row is expanded by 2 and this header cell is also expanded by 2. The first cell expanded looks like cell=2 and this header looks like header=2 (it [ ] in between cell=2/header=2 I don't feel like breaking this table you get the point.
Anotherexample
Here it looks like cell=3
here

I think that's everything you need to know about tables off the top of my head at 2:30am.
I am going to update the op with my most recent new formatting for role pms at some point probably tomorrow I want to sleep right now.
GTKAS
| here.
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue May 15, 2018 7:16 am

Post by mallowgeno »

I did not know you could add color or stretch a row across multiple columns O.O

Thanks!
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue May 15, 2018 7:18 am

Post by mallowgeno »

Name 1Name 2Name 3
stuffmore stuff
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:12 pm

Post by Alisae »

Yo I have 2 more guides for ya

Spoiler: Message to the community as someone loves modding games and wants the mafia modding community to grow. Warning, its a wall, and I wrote it while I was high.
I think I am also going to kinda use this as like a modding blog and also just use this to talk about what I want to accomplish in 2019, because I actually do want to be involved with mafia again as a mod, and I have plenty of ideas to do that.

While enjoying fun and enjoyable games for my players, I want 2019 to be a really special year modding wise. 2018 was kinda meh in that I don't really feel anything significantly stood out. I want to offer experiences that are just different. A lot of mafia games are really similar to each other. You have a setup, you have some roles, you slap something together bada boom bada bam. Its plain old noodle soup. No special sauce or anything. To make it special, you just have to believe its special.

The issue is: no one believes that's special anymore. You are literally advertising noodle soup as noodle soup, you're not advertising it with a special sauce. And the reason is simple:
When was the last time you saw a mountainous game ran?

Mountainous is frowned upon on MS.
Its seen as scumsided and people don't want to play it.

However this mentality is so wrong.

Mountainous IS plain old noodle soup. Its the original formula. You can reuse it as much as you want, its the basis for all games.
Normal Games is a formula that only works once. You use the setup once, and then you have to throw it away, you can't use it again until people forgot about its existance. This goes for most U-Picks, other standard role madness games, and any Varsoon game.

There are 3 setups that stood out to me during my time on MS. These setups are practically my favorite of all time.
FakeGod's dance games. Pretty self explanatory since these are re-ran seasonally. These games are known for being that Open Theme thats ran frequently in the queue, its a pretty dam good and fun setup.
Regfan's It's an Owners Market (WHICH BTW, I'M GOING TO MOD AS A SECRET ALT GAME AND YOU SHOULD TOTALLY PM ME TO PRE-IN). This setup looked really cool and interesting to me, could be run multiple times.
and finally, Nahdia's Civilization Mafia, while being known for the clusterfuck that is 749 pages, this setup is timeless in that you can take the skeleton and redesign all of the powers and even if you wanted, all of the resolutions, or cut resolutions entirely if you even wanted to (but don't do this, its just won't give off the same feeling)

btw as a promise, I promise to get someone to rerun Nahdia's Civ Mafia game as their own. I can't do it, but someone else :]

They are all similar in that:
Everyone starts as VT/Goon
They have fancy mechanics which are doing all of the work, and the game is about the mechanics, not the setup, where as in the current modding community, gameplay involves breaking the setup and revolves around the setup, not mechanics.
If powers are aquired, they are aquired later on instead of at the start. This makes gameplay more dynamic. In Civ and Regfan's game, its about getting the most important things when you need to get them. In This game that I am currently designing and trying to get several people to look at (btw pre-in its 25 players), its about the rock paper scissors formula, but that formula is SUPPOSED to create a game that (hopefully) a "best" strategy doesn't exist. I can run this game and every run of the game will be different due to how diverse it is.

So, I want try to inspire more open themes and cool semi opens to be moderated in the theme queues. Because some of the best setups and games I've ever seen designed are Open Themes.

---------------

But wait, there's more I want to do.

I want to try to grow the modding community, and work together with other individuals in the modding community to provide amazing games for 2019.

Also, I want to explore the realm of mentor/mentee games.
I also kinda of want try to encourage player growth and improvement.
I feel like the best way to do this is to try to learn from someone else.

What makes this different from just hydraing with each other, is that in hydras are really hard things to get in perfect synchronization and harmony.
The mentee has a game to play.
Hopefully, mentors WON'T PLAY THE GAME FOR THE MENTEE but instead will attempt to help develope the mentee's skills.

Thats the idea anyway.
GTKAS
| here.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:00 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 6, Alisae wrote:
In post 5, RedFlavor wrote:Do you have any suggestions or must-do's for beginner modders?
I mean
there's probably a lot that I am forgetting.
But this is kinda moreso what not to do, a lot of things that you should do are covered by Varsoon here.

But don't worry about writing flavor for normals/opens. I feel like poorly written flavor can actually make the game worse then better. Plus, the Theme queues is where flavor is important, not normals/opens.
Make sure you're posting your VCs and prods happen on time. I remember my very first game the mod was extremely slow to prod and find replacements for people who needed it, and it was just hard to deal with in general.
Don't actually spam the game with VCs, if anything try to limit yourself to 1 VC per page.
Use a Mod PT and/or Spreedsheat (And once you have the ability to make Private Topics, make a Private Topic for yourself so you have a place where you can post all of your templates like your opening posts, your role pm formatting if thats complicated, your votecount stuff if your formatting is complicated like my own).
Don't worry about interacting with your players unless they ask you a question in bold. This should be a very simple concept, but I see it a lot in the open queue from first time mods who say something along the lines of (note, I wasn't in this game)
First Time Mod wrote:I can't believe I have had to intervene this early....@xXTonereaderXX...you do not have a post restriction...nobody in this game does. I am going to have to ask you to stop trolling. Please play with behavior that is conducive to the game.
xXTonereaderXX was modspewed as town because of this.
I know another open (this one I rep'd out of) MathBlade was confirmed scum because of a slip by the mod when they asked "Do scum have daytalk?" (Ironic)
Also don't go bribing people with bah posts or stupid shit for doing things for you.
Also don't modkill someone because they called your modding terrible. Yes, I've actually had a mod threaten to modkill me because of that. Like, modkills are something you should be AVOIDING not promoting.
Also another mod, James3, ran a game on this site. And he modkilled someone for posting a
Spoiler:
tag I shit you not. He also had 24 hour prod timers, which were extremely unforigving and in general, his modding made most if not his whole playerlist rep out of the game. (Also, he got the open number 666. Coincidence? I think not. :thinking:)

A lot of games that are actually ran in the open queue are amazing examples of what not to do.

Edit: Remember at the end of the day modding is a free commitment and you're responsable for your players.
This needs all the likes <3
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade

Return to “Mafia Discussion”