Multiball Balance

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:17 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 23, mastina wrote:I don't exactly disagree, though I would say that the more extreme the swing, the more likely you are to have players rant in the postgame and/or feel cheated and multiball setups inherently have more swing than a comparable singleball game.
By kill count it's almost as similar as a game with a vig or a game with a SK.
The only difference is that "SK" can survive more than 1 lynch.
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:38 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Swing isn't a problem
but don't do asymmetric scum ever, jungle games are 67% ass and I haven't played anarchy on forum yet
also I like the announce multiball thing, a game was sunk for town because it wasn't clear there was a one-man scum faction that wasn't SK (again why you don't do asymmetric)
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
TheGoldenParadox
TheGoldenParadox
he
Mafia Scum
TheGoldenParadox
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Post by TheGoldenParadox »

You. Can't Balance. Multiball.
Now can we actually move on to real discussions?
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:10 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

It's actually relatively easy to balnce multiball since in terms of win odds...

50-25-25 is often considered acceptable
33-33-33 is often considered acceptable

So as long as you're not massively screwing over one wolf faction compared ot the other (which, unfortunately, IS a thing that people do for various reasons), then it's just a question of balancing town's powers and numbers against the scum ones. And multiple competing scum factions naturally have a small anti-swing aspect in that scum teams have something of an incentive to shoot at whoever opposing faction is currently strongest (i.e. a town trainwreck will eventually see scum teams trying to find/shoot each other, and town rofltomps will see scum teams trying NOT to shoot other scum)
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Fumuki
Fumuki
Mafia Scum
Fumuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue May 22, 2018 1:12 pm

Post by Fumuki »

Multiballs are fun in my opinion, although a lot of people say that they are swingy and extremely hard to balance.

I gladly would /in to playing a mutiball game. You can even pm me if you plan running one.
(As known as Shirou aka Lazy Shirou aka Bunno aka Churros aka Rainn aka Buki aka Nibbui aka Volpe14)
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed May 23, 2018 12:26 am

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

I'm with everyone else saying don't run multiball, but here's some actual ways to mitigate swing:

Break up PRs into component parts i.e.. instead of having a universal Doctor, have an anti-Mafia Doctor and an anti-Wolf Doctor. If your set-up is a little zanier, you can even have one upgrade to a universal Doctor if the other dies. For Scum, you can turn more abilities into factional abilities so one faction doesn't get hosed if its best PR dies N1, turn a Goon into a backup, etc.

Include anti-swing mechanics. This can be either explicit. like Doctor gets motivated if at least two Town died last Night, Scum get a 1-shot power every time a scummate is NKed, etc. or slightly less obvious. You could, for example, have the Wolf factional NK be Odd and the Mafia factional NK be Even so long as the other team has surviving members, as bringing the NK density of the game down should reduce swing. You can also allow Town to target one faction specifically - an investigative that chooses each Night whether it wants to receive Mafia/Not Mafia or Wolf/Not Wolf, a Town Roleblocker that doesn't function on a scumteam if it has fewer members than the other scumteam, etc.

If you're willing to be creative with the set-up, you can find a lot of ways to bring the swing factor down and make multiball less terrible. It'll still be bad, but less so.
I don't have anything to put here because my normal signature is images. Weeeeee.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”