A New Modding Tool

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

A New Modding Tool

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Post by Beefster »

The robandkriskris vote counter is great and all, but it has some deficiencies:
  • It won't catch hammer votes that get masked later on.
  • It doesn't help you if and when you need to manually verify votes.
  • Name matching leaves something to be desired. It matched "MUMBLES" to "Lexa" in one instance, and it even made a mistake somewhere when my game was at about 12 pages, with no warning.
  • It always loads the full day even when it would be sufficient to start from the most recent vote count.
With the first 2 points in mind, I set out to solve that problem. Initially, the script was just a filter that printed lines from posts that would be important to the moderator like @mod and votes. It wasn't long before I started counting votes and things just sort of grew from there. So I decided to put the script on Github.

I figured I could share it with the world and allow others to do the same.

mafiascum Mod Tool

It's messy as hell right now, but maybe I'll clean it up someday.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Post by Alisae »

Rather use MathBlade's program.
GTKAS
| here.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Post by Alisae »

Actually that's a very ignorant reply imo.
The filters sound nice but at honestly, as the mod you should be somewhat reading your game. Not to mention I tell my players to put flags up so even then, counting V/LAs is just useless to me.
As a votecounting tool, I rather use MathBlade's VC counter if any due to how advanced it is. And even then, I rather just count my votes by hand because doing that allows me to somewhat follow the game, even if its on a brief skim.
GTKAS
| here.
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 am

Post by Beefster »

To each their own, I guess. I don't really care if anyone uses my program, but if they do, great. If someone wants to contribute, they're welcome to do so.

I actually have been paying attention to the gist of my game, it's just that counting votes by hand is tedious an error-prone... But that's coming from a programmer who automates things for a living, so anything manual is tedious and error-prone.
On hiatus indefinitely. This was a nice distraction when I was working through my faith transition out of Mormonism, but I need to move on to bigger and better things now.
Get to know a meat boy
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:39 am

Post by yessiree »

I wish more mod tools would leave out name parsing/matching (because lets face it, it's a hard problem) and just return a list of raw strings for each valid vote instead

I feel that would be less error prone, but still provides the right amount of complement
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:44 am

Post by Kison »

A trick: you can use
ppp=200
in the URL to increase the number of posts displayed (up to 200). Should speed things up for larger games.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 am

Post by Alisae »

this is revolutionary thank you kison
GTKAS
| here.
Beefster
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Beefster
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Post by Beefster »

In post 4, yessiree wrote:I wish more mod tools would leave out name parsing/matching (because lets face it, it's a hard problem) and just return a list of raw strings for each valid vote instead

I feel that would be less error prone, but still provides the right amount of complement
The vote counting is actually optional, so you're welcome to do vote counts manually.

Mine also gives warnings for every imperfect name match.

Honestly, it's not as hard of a problem as some of the stuff I've done in AI/Machine Learning/Data Science classes.
Get to know a meat boy
Bicephalous Bob
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Bicephalous Bob
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: I don't know why you're linking me to pictures of babies on Facebook

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:26 am

Post by Bicephalous Bob »

In post 4, yessiree wrote:I wish more mod tools would leave out name parsing/matching (because lets face it, it's a hard problem) and just return a list of raw strings for each valid vote instead

iirc psyche said he had a name matching algorithm with >99% accuracy but he never published it
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Back when I used an automated vote counter (which is broken nowadays but could possibly be fixed again?), it pointed out votes to the mod, but asked the mod to manually specify who the vote was for if it was at all unsure (i.e. not an exact match). You could add name synonyms to it manually if you wanted to, but I rarely bothered.

The main benefits were in preventing missed votes, preventing accidental reversing of votes (when player A votes for player B, it's really easy to accidentally put that on your vote count as player B voting for player A), and formatting the vote count appropriately (with links and the like, as it doesn't cost much for an automated counter to add them).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Post by MathBlade »

I have a program that I have been working on since May of last year. Mainly it’s pretty advanced and catches a lot of misspellings but not everything. And OMG that will be a use help for my vote counter tool!!!
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Post by MathBlade »

I can make that a setting in my VC to require exact spellings and spit out any that aren’t in a list at the bottom. Granted so far it has only missed like 10 votes and then I go in and add the case.

It’s more complicated than the old one in terms of settings but I would really encourage people to try it before knocking it. And if you are one of those verifiers it creates a link to each post click link check vote boom done.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
yessiree
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
yessiree
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:03 am

Post by yessiree »

In post 8, Bicephalous Bob wrote: iirc psyche said he had a name matching algorithm with >99% accuracy but he never published it
this is big if true
In post 9, callforjudgement wrote: Back when I used an automated vote counter (which is broken nowadays but could possibly be fixed again?), it pointed out votes to the mod, but asked the mod to manually specify who the vote was for if it was at all unsure (i.e. not an exact match). You could add name synonyms to it manually if you wanted to, but I rarely bothered.
In post 11, MathBlade wrote: I can make that a setting in my VC to require exact spellings and spit out any that aren’t in a list at the bottom. Granted so far it has only missed like 10 votes and then I go in and add the case.
from a purely programming point of view, it
feels
like the program is incomplete if the dev has to manually tweak/add settings every time it is used with a different set of inputs, and knowing that eventually, but inevitably it will produce an incorrect VC

but that's just me :P

maybe just treat those as edge cases and screw edge cases you know?
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:27 am

Post by MathBlade »

They don’t have to.

They just do it for stuff that can’t
reasonably
be predicted.

If it can be reasonably predicted it’s a bug that I need to fix.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Nauci
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Nauci
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Post by Nauci »

The use of FuzzyWuzzy is vv cool

Return to “Mafia Discussion”