listing modkilled and dead players as separate categories

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 18, Mulch wrote:It’s not out of an inner sense of altruism lol
For me, it is when it's in the Normal queue, actually.

I mod in that queue when I am feeling like I have a handle on my life such that I can give the quality moderation I feel a game's players deserve, and I go all-out to try and give them the full modding experience. I craft a setup which I attempt to make appeal to as many players as possible, with it being just enough quirky, unique, and interesting to keep investment and be a surprise, but yet being standardized enough that players can get a good grasp on it given time (more or less); I then try my utmost to give my 100% to modding that game and deliver every service imaginable.

My prods contain links to last posts and a deadline to show up; I announce the prods with said deadline; I seek replacements in no less than three sources; I send daystart PMs; I send night-start PMs; when I receive a night action, I confirm I have received it; at daystart I will send a second confirmation to any power role that, yes, no matter what the results of the night may indicate (e.g. a vig kill not showing), I DID in fact receive their night action; I try to give them frequent, detailed votecounts and have my OP up to date and with links to all important information; I attempt to answer promptly and very visibly all questions I am capable of answering publicly and I make sure to answer private questions as well; etc.

I do all of that as a community service, or at least I do my very best to attempt it.

...Now OUTSIDE the Normal queue. THERE. Well, bluntly. Yeah, I'm not altruistic there in the least. If I said I was, that'd be an outright lie. I do have an interest in sharing my ideas with the world, so to speak, but I'm not doing it for the good of others. Not in the least.
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 13, Zachrulez wrote:I don't think I've ever needed to modkill anyone in a game, but if I did I would state it as the method of death rather than listing them separately.
This. :up:

Not having to make a list only for Mod Kills is also just that much less work. :3p
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:55 pm

Post by StefanB »

One of the reason that mod do it, is at a warning. Don't make me do it.
Or they copy the format from another mod, who has it.
I moded one game, my hope was I don't have to use it.
I don't think many mods like modkills, they see them as necesary evil.
Venmar
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Venmar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:23 am

Post by Venmar »

I've never modded to get a power trip out of it. I think like most other moderations, I mod because I enjoy designing setups and then running them, because i want to run a certain theme and experience it that way, or because i like being creative with flavour, writing, etc.

I tend to have a "modkilled" category in my games, mainly because I just copied the format when I started and haven't dropped it yet, but also because I consider modkilling someone as essentially removing them from the game as opposed to killing them. I don't think it really matters if a mod decides to keep modkilled and killed players separate.
I swear I'm trying my best

--Expect me to be V/LA from 10am-7pm PST every Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun due to work--
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:49 am

Post by Alisae »

Mulch is saying the power trip is subconscious.
Like Freud
GTKAS
| here.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:28 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 27, StefanB wrote:I don't think many mods like modkills, they see them as necesary evil.
Yeah modkill is a very last resort and usually they can be avoided with well-placed forced replacement
or simply abandoning the game
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 23, Alisae wrote:
In post 22, Mulch wrote:
In post 21, Mathdino wrote:ITT: Mulch admits to power tripping every time he mods a turbo
:neutral:
never playing another turbo again D:
still playing Mulch/Amrock turbos cos they're fun
even if I suck ass at formatting :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:14 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I think it's a terrible idea to put a "Modkilled" section in the OP before there are any actual modkills. It makes it look like a major mechanic rather than something that's only there to fix the game in emergencies. (Of course, if you're running Polite Mafia or the like, and frequent/arbitrary modkills actually
are
a major part of the game mechanics, go mad with modkill formatting.)

If you actually do have to modkill someone – which is normally a last resort, but may be required if a slot has been compromised – I can see the argument for editing a modkills section into the OP at that point, although I'd still rather not. Seeing "«name»,
Vanilla Townie
Neutral Survivor
, modkilled day 2" is shame enough. This also makes it clear whether the player had their wincon changed as a result of the modkill or not (if you have to modkill a slot because
someone else
cheated, the player in that slot shouldn't be punished for it unless they were in on the cheating).

One thing that's interesting to note is that I haven't seen any mods format force-replacements specially, even though they're a) much more common than modkills and b) often the result of cheating or rules breaches. (This might partly be because keeping the integrity of the game often requires force-replaces to be unexplained or even intentionally misexplained; it's not unheard of for a player to post
Mod, I need to replace out
or the like, implying that the reason is lack of time or a long V/LA or the like, when the actual reason is that someone had illegally sent them a PM about the game! The mod would know the real reason, of course, but the player hides it in case the slot's alignment could be deduced from the nature of the force-replace. However, there are plenty of much more "open" force-replaces which are obviously the consequence of a rules breach, e.g. players being force-replaced as a result of being banned from the site, and yet they're formatted the same way as activity-based replacements.)

Incidentally, one of my jobs as part of the Normal Review Group is to review the first posts of Normals to make sure that they don't break any rules, so I often get the chance to ask mods why they put a "modkilled" section in their OP. Many of them had no idea, or had just copied it from someone else (or even thought it was required!). So just making it clear "you don't have to do this, and to be honest you probably shouldn't" may help to fix the problem.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”