What Makes A Town-Player Strong?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:23 am

Post by the worst »

In post 70, Taly wrote:
Do you guys think that it happens often, when there's 1 very strong townplayer, but they are drowned out by a town that does not work to solve the game?
Certain personalities, hells yes!

I know some players who have above average reads but arent so assertive or charismatic in pushing them. On the flipside there are people with insanely bad reads who are super super confident and charismatic.

Both are potentially strong town players who sadly lack a "well rounded" town play I guess.
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:05 am

Post by profii »

In post 48, mastina wrote:
In post 45, Kublai Khan wrote:Now hold on. Strong obvtown players are often picked off on Night 1.
They are also often WATCHED or PROTECTED on Night 1.

Don't be strong obvtown, and fuck no, you're never getting those roles on you.
But scum might STILL nightkill you ANYWAY.
Except instead of having nightkilled the obvious target the watcher/protectives would be on, they snipe the role without the town roles interfering.

In contrast?

Say you deliberately try to avoid being a strong obvtown player as a town PR.
You have to dodge NOT ONLY a wagon, NOT ONLY a lynch, NOT ONLY wasting town investigatives on you, BUT ALSO any town vig plus the chance that EVEN IF YOU MANAGE TO GET THROUGH ALL OF THAT, the mafia
still
kill you, making it all for naught.

Just be the strong obvtown player. It is the correct play 80% of the time, or thereabouts. Yes there will be times where it isn't (particularly, games with strongmen/ninjas/etc.), but playing the odds game, the odds are NOT in your favor if you don't.
I'd still apply an 85% rule - most of the time you'd be right.

Some of the time, the guy with the protect role will be an idiot and not protect the obv town player for some random reason. Or there might be 2 really obv towns and it becomes a coin toss or whatever

you still have to evaluate all this to decide how you are going to play it.

I see your point though, if you think you will get protection, then obvtown your way to glory.
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:09 am

Post by profii »

In post 70, Taly wrote:
Do you guys think that it happens often, when there's 1 very strong townplayer, but they are drowned out by a town that does not work to solve the game?
I'd say in my personal experience, there was a topic about how good are your reads when you look back at your game history.

When I reflected on my own play I felt that when I was confident in a read I was usually right. What I also noticed was I don't really lead my confident reads through to lynches.

I seem to be quite good at not getting lynched (town or scum tbh) but I guess this might be driven by not fully pushing lynches, therefore never putting myself in a position where I am liable for when I inevitably get it wrong

Next time I know I'm right I'm going to see if I get the town to follow me. Hopefully I'll be right and it will be fine, maybe I'll be wrong and I'll get lynched but I think it will be a good way to say I've considered my play and tried to do something to progress my game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:11 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

It is a lot easier as town to stay alive if you're not actively pushing lynches on town or scum: people who push on scum get mislynched a lot in my experience, and usually by town!
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”