What Makes A Town-Player Strong?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

What Makes A Town-Player Strong?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:59 am

Post by Taly »

I've been juggling with this idea a lot in my head.

There are so many valid ways to approach the game of mafia, and for the townies who usually know next to the nothing; those many ways to approach the game just seem to become more infinite.

So, what type of view, approach, and execution of gameplay is most effective, accurate, and beneficial for the townies?

This seems like a very difficult to ask, there is almost no game that is the same as the other, and people in general are pretty unpredictable in how they react and play in a game.

I feel like this is a great to make people sit on. While my ideas may change overtime on what I think is a strong townie:

Spoiler: These Are My Thoughts For Good Traits In A Townie (Will Add More Here Later)
1)
Communication.
The ability to ask questions, talking
with
people, and laying out thoughts on the table always help to keep town on the same page. At the very least, when you're open about your reads/thoughts, despite how off they may seem, that still gives other townies a stronger understanding of your perspective in the game.
-
It makes weeding out scum easier, as well as people with inconsistencies or motives that aren't town-oriented. Basic socializing and assessing is a strong foundation for town to understand the game.
-
You may be thrown out in the open more often with this method as a townie, but your advantage is that you can look at the game with a higher emphasis around yourself. Meaning, worthwhile interactions lead you to discerning others' alignment.

2)
Precision.
Not letting go of details, and bringing attention discussion points that aren't given enough attention serve to improve the general perception of the game. This aligns with productive communication and searching for the motives within others.
-
When you have an evenly distributed focus on what's happening within a game, and are not ignoring other people, this bridges a path for town to catch sometimes game-altering details.

3)
Townhunting and scumhunting.
One just simply does not work without the other. Flexibility and reads prevent any blindspots for the town. When you're actively looking for motives that help the town, and motives that hurt the town; it is easier to distinguish the potential alignments of people within the game.
-
If you find reasons to suggest someone is town, it's great to work with them. If you're wrong about your read, your communication with them will help you redirect your focus in the game. At best, you're working with town for a common goal that you share.
-
This ties in with both precision and communication; finding someone's motives and seeing what best helps and works for the town in a given situation leads to finding potential scum.

Putting all your weight on who's scum will lead to dichotomies and inevitable WIFOM; putting all your weight on who's town will often lack a discussion point in solving the game.

There needs to be both towny-huntin' and scummy-huntin' :D
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:41 am

Post by mastina »

I call the traits the
town triple threat
:
Being
obvtown
(situationally both the strongest most valued trait and yet also the weakest least valued trait), being
charismatic
(believe it or not I do NOT consider being obvtown as being part of charisma; the two are separate because you can be obvtown without being charismatic and you can sway people with your charisma and yet they'll still consider you suspicious, thus, not obvtown), and being
accurate

Being
obvtown
is the most valuable trait because if you're obvtown, it magnifies all other aspects of your game. It also makes you impossible to lynch. One obvtown player for the scum is no problem. Half the game being obvtown in addition to any conftown players outside of the obvtown, on the other hand, starts to become problematic. (So, the more number of players that are obvtown, the stronger being obvtown becomes.) If you have a role where you need people to listen to your results, being obvtown is going to make people be inclined to believe you're not scum fakeclaiming. It's all-around a useful trait to have, but
in of itself
, with nothing else, is also useless to possess because if you're obvtown and yet nothing else, you're dead weight.

Being
charismatic
is self-explanatory for how it is good. There are multiple ways you can be charismatic (same for obvtown really but that's a tangent), with the method being unique the the scummer, but it's self-evident why the skill of convincing others is useful to have. Charisma takes you a long way in pushing the town in overall the right direction--making a player with it a threat even if they currently have inaccurate reads because if they switch to
having
accurate reads, that charisma isn't going to magically vanish. But the weakness of charisma is town paranoia. Doesn't matter if you helped lynch three scum with your charisma, if you're not obvtown then when it comes to searching for the fourth the town can turn on you no matter how moronic it sounds.

Being
accurate
is also self-explanatory. If your reads aren't good, then you push the game in a pro-scum direction (especially if you're charismatic). Inversely, if your reads are good, then you push the game in a pro-town direction. Accuracy in of itself doesn't do you much good (a go-to example for this is Creature; everyone knows his reads are >random and yet nobody actually sheeps him on them), especially not if you get lynched for not being obvtown (because nobody listens to the reads of a mislynch, not even if said mislynch did indeed name all the scum). But there's a good reason players whose reads are good die early, and it's because...well, their reads were good and they terrified the scum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:02 am

Post by mastina »

It should be noted though that there are various different tools I don't mention as part of the town triple-threat which are strong pro-town tools to utilize. I consider these tools to more or less be...well, the tools to achieve the town triple-threat, if that makes sense. The town triple-threat is an overarching descriptor of the traits I value most in townplay; tools are the method by which those traits manifest.

Some strong town tools include (but are not limited to):
-
Nightkill Analysis:
When I do nightkill analysis, I'm actually trying to more build a modus operandi for the killers--to psychologically profile who are the players most likely to make the known decision we have of killing the player who was killed, and why they would do so. This is because there are multiple reasons for a player to die.

The scum saw them be accurate. (This is what MOST people think of when they think NKA.) The scum saw them as charismatic and feared it even if they knew the reads weren't on-point. The scum thought they were a power role. The scum could tell the player was obvtown off of the game-thread evidence. The scum knew the player by reputation and thought at least one of these three traits would manifest even if at the time of death they had not. (THIS IS THE ONE I VALUE MOST.) Usually, some combination of these.

So what I do is I look at the player who died, try to figure out the likely things which contributed to their demise, and from the likely factors in their demise, work out the players most likely to have made a nightkill off of those particular factors. (Of course, I should mention that this takes a lot of effort to do properly and often I don't put in the requisite amount.)

-
Constant reevaluation of reads:
This is something which scares me to death as scum, probably more than any actual part of the town triple threat. Yes, this has some particular disadvantages. If you're switching your reads at the drop of a hat, then you're not doing yourself any favors when it comes to a reputation for pushing scum.

Yes, if you do this TOO often, if you lack any solidity, and grounding to your reads, you're useless. But the key to this skill is to always be questioning the reads--and knowing when to
continue
pushing them ("Is this read right? Actually, yes, I think it is, and this is why"), and when to
stop
pushing them ("Is this read right? Actually? No, it's not, and this is why").

This is part of the reason why I have my "Push Hard" philosophy, by the way, because my aim is to do exactly this when I am pushing players. To EITHER: get reaffirmation that I am right, and use this new evidence to form a more nuanced read that I can then better explain, OR: form a new, hopefully more accurate, read which I can then explain why I have shifted my opinion in now holding.

-
Flexibility in the town's position:
What I mean by this is, knowing when you need to be a town leader and knowing when you need to be a follower, and being able to take on those positions. This is not necessarily "I need to follow because my reads aren't as good and/or I am not as charismatic as playername, who's leading". Nor is it necessarily "I need to lead because my reads are better and/or I am more charismatic than others". You can be a follower who has better reads and/or more charisma. It's more the presentation of these reads.

A town leader draws people to their banner to get them to work for them; a town follower willingly works with the leader and provides support. After all. A good leader is not always barking out commands constantly to all subordinates; a good leader will listen to the feedback of their underlings, take it into advisement, and then with their feedback propose a course of action.

Similar to this skill:
-
Recognition of another players' assets:
If you're in a game with Ellibereth Mr. Paragon of Mafia Hunters, if you can first establish that, yes, he is indeed town, then you can use his accuracy in reads to significantly boost your odds of winning. If you're in a game with Creature, you can use his status as obvtown to help form a townbloc and you can also bring his reads out and help to narrow in on the scum by recognizing that he's more accurate than not even if his skills at convincing others suck. Basically, this is recognizing what other players are good at (whereas flexibility in the town's position is more recognizing what you are good at), and being able to bring it out.

These are probably some of the skills I value most in the current site meta.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:12 am

Post by Taly »

I can agree to this helping town :D

Also, I'm kind of using this thread as a self-evaluation. Though, honestly, in a given game... I feel like I have 1, maybe 2 of these traits going for me at the same time. X_X Rarely, if ever, do I display all 3 at once, in my perspective.

I am curious though, a lot of people talk about being obvtown and having charisma, but I don't always quite know they mean by that.

Are there specific things someone does that makes them obvtown and be influential, or is it situational?

I think these are good tools for town as well, I make an effort to reevaluate my reads and do NKA;

I think I've only been NKed once. EVER. It was 2-3 years ago prior to my absence. It was D1 in a large and my death was a centerpoint for WIFOM because half the town thought killing me either made no sense, or didn't benefit scum. :facepalm:
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 am

Post by Ankamius »

The strongest town is the one that can work with other town.

You could have pegged the entire scumteam day one and be confident on your reads for the entire game, but what use is that if you have no influence and just get silenced quietly early on in the game?
You could have voiced your opinions so loudly that you tend to get your way, but what use is that in the longer term since you've sacrificed cohesion in the process? What if your reads are wrong and you're silencing someone who's right?

There's a drawback to every approach that you can use, but the strategy that's most likely to succeed is the one that you need to take in order to work with the town. Whether that means being the voice that everyone can rally around, the glue that holds the rest of the town together, or just a sheep for the one player who's on the top of their game. It changes from game to game and you're never going to be able to have the same role every time.

Ultimately, the town players I'm most afraid of as scum are those that can sway others to follow them and those that can bring town together to make a collective response. A player with eerily accurate reads is nowhere near as strong as those if it's child's play to dilute their influence; even better, accurate town that aren't being heard over a long period of time are also prone to self-destructing and actively working against town if they don't have results for their efforts in the long term (which just goes back to town-glue being a strong town force).

As a personal reference, this type of thing is very easily correlated to when I get nightkilled. If I'm active and not getting in other town's way (which usually means I have some level of influence too), I'm almost always killed very early on in the game. If I'm missing one or both of those, I either get nightkilled very late or reach Mylo/Lylo. My read accuracy usually doesn't factor into it unless I'm also homing in on a scum that is getting close to no attention. My single biggest town weaknesses is that my motivation is fragile early on in the game, and I can get very defensive/stubborn if I'm pushed the wrong way (which throws other people off too). A lot of people I see killed early on in games a lot exhibit pretty similar traits, which makes sense because reads are dynamic and even if every scum is in the townreads of every influential town, that can still cause the game to collapse like a row of dominoes the moment they start realizing that someone is scum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:27 am

Post by mastina »

I forgot to mention this one before:
Engagement.

Now, when most people think engagement, they think, "posts with investment in the outcome of the game".
While that IS something you need because you don't win many games when apathetic, it's not what I mean.

What I mean by Engagement is,
creating dialogs, interactions, and reactions

In other words, being able to engage others and get them talking about what you deem appropriate, more or less.

This is another reason I have my 'Push Hard' philosophy: when pushing for the lynch of a player, I am pressuring them. This pressure forces them to react. From the reactions, I get a better, more refined read. Similarly, as part of my push, I will interact with others. The engagement I get from my interactions with them allows for me to better read THEM.

By forcing people to contribute, you move the gamestate forward, giving both more information and potentially, greater unity. At the very least, the engagement gets you talking, so that you can get closer to being on the same page.

Good engagement is thus neither barking orders nor talking at a target, but rather, talking TO a person and asking them to think critically.

A side-effect of this good engagement: you can judge players' reactions to determine if they're artificial/stilted. (A very strong, reliable indicator of scum.) In some cases, the inverse, too.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 1, mastina wrote:I call the traits the
town triple threat
:
My own list of qualities town needs is basically the same as this, but with different words. The way I think about it is that townies need to:
a) Look town.
b) Find scum.
c) Get scum lynched.

There's some interplay here, e.g. if all townies look town and no scum looks town, it's normally easy to solve the game no matter how bad people are at scumhunting. Apart from that, though, the categories aren't enough by themselves, e.g. you can't get scum lynched if you can't find them. An effective town as a whole needs to collectively fill all three roles, though (with "look town" generalise to "make it obvious who's town and who's not").
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:17 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

Attitude and cooperation.

Mafia is a social and, ultimately, team game; you can't diss everyone else and expect to win the game.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 1, mastina wrote:I call the traits the
town triple threat
:
Being
obvtown
(situationally both the strongest most valued trait and yet also the weakest least valued trait), being
charismatic
(believe it or not I do NOT consider being obvtown as being part of charisma; the two are separate because you can be obvtown without being charismatic and you can sway people with your charisma and yet they'll still consider you suspicious, thus, not obvtown), and being
accurate

Being
obvtown
is the most valuable trait because if you're obvtown, it magnifies all other aspects of your game. It also makes you impossible to lynch. One obvtown player for the scum is no problem. Half the game being obvtown in addition to any conftown players outside of the obvtown, on the other hand, starts to become problematic. (So, the more number of players that are obvtown, the stronger being obvtown becomes.) If you have a role where you need people to listen to your results, being obvtown is going to make people be inclined to believe you're not scum fakeclaiming. It's all-around a useful trait to have, but
in of itself
, with nothing else, is also useless to possess because if you're obvtown and yet nothing else, you're dead weight.

Being
charismatic
is self-explanatory for how it is good. There are multiple ways you can be charismatic (same for obvtown really but that's a tangent), with the method being unique the the scummer, but it's self-evident why the skill of convincing others is useful to have. Charisma takes you a long way in pushing the town in overall the right direction--making a player with it a threat even if they currently have inaccurate reads because if they switch to
having
accurate reads, that charisma isn't going to magically vanish. But the weakness of charisma is town paranoia. Doesn't matter if you helped lynch three scum with your charisma, if you're not obvtown then when it comes to searching for the fourth the town can turn on you no matter how moronic it sounds.

Being
accurate
is also self-explanatory. If your reads aren't good, then you push the game in a pro-scum direction (especially if you're charismatic). Inversely, if your reads are good, then you push the game in a pro-town direction. Accuracy in of itself doesn't do you much good (a go-to example for this is Creature; everyone knows his reads are >random and yet nobody actually sheeps him on them), especially not if you get lynched for not being obvtown (because nobody listens to the reads of a mislynch, not even if said mislynch did indeed name all the scum). But there's a good reason players whose reads are good die early, and it's because...well, their reads were good and they terrified the scum.
I feel like listing these three traits as three positive qualities that are on the same tier can't possibly be a complete analysis.

If you are infinitely obvtown, infinitely charismatic, and 0 accurate, you have a 50% winrate. Or maybe 58% if you charismatically prevent your own lynch.

If you are infinitely obvtown, 0 charismatic, and infinitely accurate, you have that aforementioned 58~ish% winrate. Even when you flip people won't put stock in your correct reads (though, maybe that flaw lies with the populace at large, and we should all scientifically control for charisma when we decide whether to sheep posthumous reads. I think that's possible.) I guess maybe the obvtown+charismatic player gets doc protects more, but that'd just be a percentage point or two.

Yet if you are 0 obvtown, even -100 obvtown, infinitely accurate, and infinitely charismatic, you have a 100% winrate. You compellingly list the entire scum team, member for member, with powerfully persuasive reasons for each member being scum. Per happenstance, you rank just above them and are mislynched, such is a quirk of your personality. But then wafting from your grave, no word any other player can say amongst the living for the rest of the game is as compelling as the reason W is scum, Y is his partner, and Z did not receive a town role pm. They are lynched one after another and you win the game.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:45 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

That is actually some cool analysis
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:49 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

pushups, situps, weight training, repetition, along with adequate rest and nutrition
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 8, popsofctown wrote:I feel like listing these three traits as three positive qualities that are on the same tier can't possibly be a complete analysis.
It's not. Since this isn't really a full-blown thread for me to talk about my perspective on mafia theory, I simplified my talk on each.

The three skills are, undeniably, meant to work in tandem with one another. The three traits are also, undeniably, situationally more or less important than each/one another. There are situations where being obvtown is THE most important thing you can give. There are other situations where being obvtown is literally the most useless thing in the game.

There are situations where being charismatic is the most important thing to further the town wincon. There are situations where being charismatic is detrimental to the health of the town. There are situations where being accurate is prized above all else. And yet, there are situations where being accurate is in of itself useless and if you are accurate yet nothing else you can still end up fucked over because mafia is a TEAM game, and being obvtown and being charismatic are skills
for the rest of the team
; lack them, lack being the team player, and all the accuracy in the world means fuckall of nothing.
Ellibereth
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Ellibereth
Deus ex Machina
Deus ex Machina

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Post by Ellibereth »

A point that it is often overlooked is that what's important is the ability to control the level of each skill, and not just to have it default to being some value at all times. This is most obvious with being "obvtown" (in that it's not always the best to be obvtown) but it applies to most things - at least in terms of in game portrayal and control.
FLASH OF GREEN
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:56 am

Post by profii »

Flexibility is probably the quality that you need most

If you are an inno’d you know you’re not going to be lynched so you might need to be able to be a town leader- you’ll need people to respect your reads and you’ll obviously need good reads

If you are a PR you don’t want to get lynched or NKd so you need to find a way to not be so obv town that you’ll never be lynched and therefore you compel scum to kill you - but also, you don’t want to be such a VI you get PL’d or whatever

Obviously we have all seen players bang on about meta but if you are really good you have got to mix it up and be able to do it without people instantly jumping in and going “you’re playing differently so you’re scum”

Yeah so I’m going with flexibility
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:25 am

Post by mastina »

In post 13, profii wrote:If you are a PR you don’t want to get lynched or NKd so you need to find a way to not be so obv town that you’ll never be lynched and therefore you compel scum to kill you - but also, you don’t want to be such a VI you get PL’d or whatever
This is terrible advice and is why most power roles fail to do their job.

As a town power role, unless you are specifically aiming for people to know you are a town power role, you should be playing to obfuscate this. The only way to effectively obfuscate holding a power role is to play as if a vanilla townie without one: not differentiating your play; trying to have your play be identical.

You invite the loss by trying to be anything else.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:52 pm

Post by Wisdom »

I agree with pops' take
You dont need to be obvtown if youre charismatic enough to not get lynched
Besides, being obvtown as town means that either your scumgame sucks or that youre also obvtown as scum, meaning people can get paranoid you are faking your town game - not so obvtown anymore
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 15, Wisdom wrote:I agree with pops' take
You dont need to be obvtown if youre charismatic enough to not get lynched
Besides,
being obvtown as town means that either your scumgame sucks or that youre also obvtown as scum, meaning people can get paranoid you are faking your town game - not so obvtown anymore
And therein lies the flaw with charisma. If you are charismatic and yet not obvtown as town...then either your scumgame sucks, or you have it as scum, too, meaning people can get paranoid you are faking your towngame...thus, not so charismatic anymore.
Wisdom
Wisdom
Of the One
Wisdom
Of the One
Of the One

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Post by Wisdom »

That implies you need to be townread in order to be charismatic, which I don't agree with
You can sway people even if they are nullreading you
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Post by kuribo »

Easy. I AM THE STRONG.

It is within towns best interest to realize that regardless of my alignment.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:37 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 17, Wisdom wrote:That implies you need to be townread in order to be charismatic, which I don't agree with
Neither do I, because it's literally implying the opposite. Charisma and obvtown are SEPARATE traits. You can be charismatic without being obvtown. (Being charismatic = convincing others to follow you. Being obvtown = demonstrating your townness.) The problem is that being charismatic without being obvtown leads to towns being paranoid of you--the charisma gets you places INITIALLY, but in of itself it's not enough to last the whole game.

You can't be charismatic the whole game and nothing else and have it work out. Even if you're >random with accuracy on top of the charisma. The town will turn on you if you're not able to demonstrate you are town.

Another way of putting it--there's a time to show others as being town/scum. But there is a time to show YOURSELF as being town. That showing yourself as being town, is what I call being obvtown; it is a separate trait from showing others as being town/scum, what I call being charismatic. Sometimes in order to do one you must first do the other. Or as the case may be, sometimes in order to KEEP doing one, you must learn to first do the other.

Yes, people will follow you even if they don't townread you, maybe even if they scumread you. Short-term. They will follow you, TEMPORARILY. But in order for them to KEEP following you. They need to believe in you being town. Or else they turn on you. Thus, the need to be obvtown. Because if you are obvtown, they have reason to keep following you.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:39 pm

Post by Taly »

I love this thread I created. :D It's helping me see Mafia from different angles.

I'll add more of my input in a bigger, more structured post when I have the time and mind for it.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:49 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 19, mastina wrote:
In post 17, Wisdom wrote:That implies you need to be townread in order to be charismatic, which I don't agree with
Neither do I, because it's literally implying the opposite. Charisma and obvtown are SEPARATE traits. You can be charismatic without being obvtown. (Being charismatic = convincing others to follow you. Being obvtown = demonstrating your townness.) The problem is that being charismatic without being obvtown leads to towns being paranoid of you--the charisma gets you places INITIALLY, but in of itself it's not enough to last the whole game.

You can't be charismatic the whole game and nothing else and have it work out. Even if you're >random with accuracy on top of the charisma. The town will turn on you if you're not able to demonstrate you are town.

Another way of putting it--there's a time to show others as being town/scum. But there is a time to show YOURSELF as being town. That showing yourself as being town, is what I call being obvtown; it is a separate trait from showing others as being town/scum, what I call being charismatic. Sometimes in order to do one you must first do the other. Or as the case may be, sometimes in order to KEEP doing one, you must learn to first do the other.

Yes, people will follow you even if they don't townread you, maybe even if they scumread you. Short-term. They will follow you, TEMPORARILY. But in order for them to KEEP following you. They need to believe in you being town. Or else they turn on you. Thus, the need to be obvtown. Because if you are obvtown, they have reason to keep following you.
Another way to think about this is to invoke the example of Themistocles: towns don't like to be reminded of what you have done for them in the past. "Look at all those things I did for you! You should remember them! Keep them in mind!" They absolutely hate that mindset, and a person relying solely on charisma will face it when the town wants to know what the person is doing
now
. The "now" is something which typically gets harder and harder as the game goes on.

Which is why I said, all the charisma in the world doesn't matter at a certain point; people don't care if you caught three scum if they think you're the fourth who hard-bussed. (And yes you may think it stupid that they'd think that, but like it or not...they do.) What they need at a certain point is to be shown you are town, shown that you are valuable to keep around. Not off of what you HAVE done. But on the merits of what you are, more or less.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Post by kuribo »

A simpler way of thinking about it is what I've always said:

What good is it being right if no one listens? What good is it if everyone follows you and you're wrong?

The best town players can come to the right conclusion and lead the town to the same.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

towncred is best gained naturally, and towncred is pointless if you don't piss it all away on getting the lynch you want. that's all i have to say on this be obvtown business.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:27 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 23, Lycanfire wrote:towncred is pointless if you don't piss it all away on getting the lynch you want
Is this a guide to townplay or scum play
:shifty:
:P
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”